diy solar

diy solar

Choosing a solar panel for the British weather

Urge38

Its been a long hard journey for me for some reason,
not quite there yet, but I am up and running to a point!!!

Its now time to add a small solar array to my current system (Shneider xw+ and four server rack batteries.

currently charging via a chargeverter and a Gen as I am off grid (not tied to the grid)

I am looking for recommendations for 5 panels to fit a slate pitched roof.

any suggestions plz for panels and the MPPT charger

Strange supplier to name, I recently purchased 6 x Longi 425w panels & mounting rails from city plumbing - branches nationwide in UK - website with ordering/ prices.

They where the cheapest I could find incl delivery.

With excellent after sales - 1no. Of the panels had a slight mark on it(perfectly usable), notified them of issue and they simple said we can refund the cost of the one panel if acceptable- which I agreed.

Strange supplier to name, I recently purchased 6 x Longi 425w panels & mounting rails from city plumbing - branches nationwide in UK - website with ordering/ prices.

They where the cheapest I could find incl delivery.

With excellent after sales - 1no. Of the panels had a slight mark on it(perfectly usable), notified them of issue and they simple said we can refund the cost of the one panel if acceptable- which I agreed.

Are the Longi panels you purchased from city plumbing half cut cells ???

5 panels can make for a funny array , because there is an odd number of panels they must be wired in series, no possibility of series/parallel configuration

For standard 30vmp/37voc panels you would need at least a 200v mppt , more likely a 250v

the MPPT charger

Assuming five 425w panels

425w X 5 = 2,125w array
2125 ÷ 48v = 45amps*

you need at least a 45a mppt

So looking at 250v max PV voltage & 45a..... pretty much your only option for an MPPT is a victron , 250/60a . It's going to cost !

That or a cheap Hybrid inverter used just for its mppt ..???

Just for my ignorance, are their any technologies that are better suited for overcast skies? I understand the general recommendation is for monocrystaline, and if is cloudy vs overcast half-cut cells help, but anything else that makes a meaningful difference? Does bifacial help at all (if appropriately mounted with a high-albedo background)?

5 panels can make for a funny array , because there is an odd number of panels they must be wired in series, no possibility of series/parallel configuration

For standard 30vmp/37voc panels you would need at least a 200v mppt , more likely a 250v

Assuming five 425w panels

425w X 5 = 2,125w array
2125 ÷ 48v = 45amps*

you need at least a 45a mppt

So looking at 250v max PV voltage & 45a..... pretty much your only option for an MPPT is a victron , 250/60a . It's going to cost !

That or a cheap Hybrid inverter used just for its mppt ..???

had not even given that a thought yet !!!

Many thanks for highlighting the possible problems with odd number of panels

had not even given that a thought yet !!!

Many thanks for highlighting the possible problems with odd number of panels

4 or 6 would be better if possible

6x 37voc panels in 3s2p would make 90vmp/111voc

In that case you could plumb for a mppt that's much cheaper (but still reliable), like this EPever:

Last edited:
Be aware, a 2-series solar array made up of 37voc panels may not necessarily produce high enough voltage to charge a 48v battery bank

3 series is more appropriate

Or possibly 2 series with a higher voltage panel

Be aware, a 2-series solar array made up of 37voc panels may not necessarily produce high enough voltage to charge a 48v battery bank

3 series is more appropriate

Or possibly 2 series with a higher voltage panel

a mountain off help.
many kind thanks

I think I am sold on a half cut cell, only because of shading.

Just for my ignorance, are their any technologies that are better suited for overcast skies? I understand the general recommendation is for monocrystaline, and if is cloudy vs overcast half-cut cells help, but anything else that makes a meaningful difference? Does bifacial help at all (if appropriately mounted with a high-albedo background)?
FINALLY someone clicked ! hahaha... I was waiting for that.
The Solar Panel Type is a BIG ISSUE as some are better in pure sun, some better in shade and everything in between. There are a vast number of companies producing solar panels and a fairly broad collection of types as well.

Shingled Solar Panels are by far the best for Shade/Shadows but they do cost a "small amount more" but the payback is quite significant because they will generate far more than standard Poly or Mono panels.

For example, the Trina PERC Split Cell panels get Top Marks for performance in shade & lower light conditions and these are available up to 500W panels.
Trina US: https://www.trinasolar.com/us/product
Trina EU: https://www.trinasolar.com/eu-en/product

A good article discussing the solar panel types for shade applications. There is good info to consider here.

EDIT - Forgot to mention:
Bi-Facial Solar panels have been mentioned. CAUTION ! They can be quite amazing and do as advertised BUT the conditions for them must be right. They require a minimum clearance space at the back, The surface behind/under the panels must be LIGHT COLOURED (preferably pure white to reflect the full spectrum) to achieve full potential. Put them on a black roof is a money toss !

Last edited:
Steve S, would you still consider shingled panels if full sun, no shading?

If you have full sun (and by that I mean no shading, clouds are consistent lighting from the perspective of a single panel which is what matters for this discussion) then you don’t need any consideration besides cell efficiency.

If you have unlimited space and the total costs including extra racking make sense cell efficiency can be sacrificed too.

A good article discussing the solar panel types for shade applications. There is good info to consider here.
TBH I think this overhypes the half cut gain.

In the end shingle cell and half cut are just ways to get more parallel at a clever minimal incremental cost . No need to have so much marketing. Just give the theory and the example teaching scenarios where it’s good and where it doesn’t matter at all.

Edit: also it doesn’t discuss the potential bad interaction with MPPT a more complex curve would yield. The curve is more complex with half cut, I’m not sure about shingle

Back