diy solar

diy solar

Choosing Correct Fuse

YurtSolar

I purchased a used solar setup and have learned that most of the install was done incorrectly. I am trying to make it safer by updating wires, adding fuses, etc. My inverter manual (Cotek 24v 1000w) says to use a "Bussman 4164 block" and equal to or greater than "125a ANN fuse" or equivalent between the battery and inverter.

Should I specifically buy the 4164 and 125A ANN fuse, or is there something else that is more commonly used and equivalent? I am seeing a lot of ANL fuses and something called a Megafuse, but Im not sure if those are considered equivalent. Would this fuse and holder work from Current Connected?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Good discussion from folks that know here:

Thank you @Rocketman and @MisterSandals for sharing these resources. I have read through both and, of course, still have questions.

1. If the inverter calls for an ANN fuse or equivalent, and there are clear differences between ANN, ANL, and MEGA fuses, does this mean they are not equivalent and I should stick with an ANN fuse or would one of the other types in the same amp rating be acceptable?

2. I have 2 new EG4 lifepower 24v, 200ah batteries coming. I need to figure out and purchase all necessary fuses. I know I need a fuse between the batteries and the inverter. I also have 3 sccs Victron 75|15 each connected to a single solar panel, but I don't think those need to be fused. Should I just buy a single fuse and fuse holder for the battery to inverter connection? My Signature Solar rep is recommending 2 Victron Lynx distributors (each has 4 spots, so I'd need 2 distributors to connect 2 batteries, 1 inverter, and 3 sccs) and I want to explore my options before I spend a lot more of my savings on fuses and connections.

Thank you all for your help!

Money saving tip:

You can add fuses to a Victron PowerIn (look at YouTube) - you lose the LED indicator saying you blew a fuse - but you save money.

On my SCC’s I have a cheap breaker installed on the PV line - this is so I can “turn the sun off”. I also have the solar wire fused where it hits the bus bar. The reason is if the wire gets rubbed through, the battery bank will blow the fuse.

Usually you have batteries connected to a Bus Bar (is PowerIn works well here on larger systems). Then a shunt (Bmv712 or Smartshunt) on the negative wire. On the positive wire a Class T fuse and a on-off switch. Then you have loads (inverters) and SCC’s on another bus bar. Remember every time you drop into a smaller wire - that smaller wire needs fused.

Back