diy solar

diy solar

CIGS: edge trim seems to help delamination

JohnL

I see all the posts about delamination, and here's @Will Prowse's post, which I largely agree with in general: "Even the latest "CIGS" panels that I was so excited about, are having delamination problems."

Here's a potential solution that's worked well -- for me, for my application.
Originally, I also had an 80 watt CIGS panel delaminate after only two months mounted on my truck canopy roof. It was very disappointing, but I wanted to keep my same panel strategy. I got a warranty replacement and tried to tackle the delamination issue directly, based on I think the cause being fast-moving air going between the layers:

i purchased flexible spring steel 1/16" Trim Lok edge trimming (eg here) that I added all around the panel. The trimming stays on with very high force and is low profile. The panel can still flex quite a bit, although not as tightly as without the trim. Many other people make trim like this, this happened to be a reputable brand that I tried first.

The trim seems to keep any fast-moving air from getting between the panel layers, and for me keep it from delaminating

In two years of driving and constant exposure to the sun (with the panel being on top of my truck canopy) i haven't had any delamination in the panel has performed well.

Just mentioning as food for thought...

Thanks for mentioning this approach. The flex CIGS panels I have all delaminated from water exposure, and this edge thing seems pretty interesting. After getting them replaced under warranty by Rich Solar I might try this.

Cheers

Back