diy solar

diy solar

Circuit breaker box replacement questions

SunshineHarvester

I want to put four 400w panels for a grid-tie system on my garage roof and I'm starting my research on what needs to be done. I think I will need to start by replacing my service panel with a new 200 A one.

1. Can I do it myself or do I have to hire a certified electrician (IL)?
2. Is it just the box that needs to be replaced, or does something else need to be done?

Some additional info:
The meter is outside, it is a smart meter.

182943_small.jpg

Where are the ground wires?

Do you have another power shutoff? So the two big black wires will be dead - maybe pull the meter?

Are you 100% confident in wiring the new one up right the first time? And having it pass inspection?

Does your local area require an electrician? Or require you to pull permits?

Will you need to bring anything else up to code?

If you know a local electrician- I would get their thoughts!!!

If in doubt of your abilities - hire it out.

You also appear to have some cables that are coming off the panel, after the main breaker, but not protected, ie no breaker. Hmmm.. Do you have a sub panel somewhere?

I think you need professional help. Those smaller wires coming off the lugs right under the main 100A breaker could overheat w/o the 100A breaker throwing. I don't know where they are going, but they are a fire waiting to happen.

1. Can I do it myself or do I have to hire a certified electrician (IL)?
The fact you are asking means you don't probably know enough to do it yourself.

2. Is it just the box that needs to be replaced, or does something else need to be done?
See above. (Probably needs a lot more. May need heavier cable from the pole, heavier cable from the meter to the main panel)

You will need someone to pull the meter to replace the panel with a 200A service. Generally no one pulls a meter unless they are licensed cause the utility really frowns on meter pulls by novice folks. There are folks that are unlicensed that pull meters, but they are experienced and know the details. You are probably not-- based on my appraisal that you did not explain those unprotected wires. And I think you need more research about a grid tie system. Start with talking or looking at what your utility has online. First online. Then call. Do they allow grid tie? What is their permitting process? They will put you on a different rate plan sometimes...

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back