diy solar

diy solar

code compliant to fasten inverter on top of battery rack ?

dtbaker61

I am working on designing a residential off-grid system.... to be installed in a reasonable sized mechanical room off a garage. I'm planning on a EG4 battery rack with 4x EG-LL 48v LFP batteries.... and since the cabinet is not very tall, I am considering fabrication of a 'inverter stand' to bolt on TOP of the battery rack to minimize the footprint of the system, and hopefully save time versus hammer-drill and expansion bolts into the concrete wall I would otherwise have to mount inverter on.

In new mexico all residential solar MUST used UL listed equipment, be permitted and inspected....

The batteries are UL, inverter is UL.

My question is.... if I drill holes in top of the EG4 battery cabinet to bolt on an inverter 'stand' so I can install the inverter on top of the cabinet, will it violate UL listing, or building code? Our local AHJ is using NEC 2017, but soon to be NEC2020.

I am working on designing a residential off-grid system.... to be installed in a reasonable sized mechanical room off a garage. I'm planning on a EG4 battery rack with 4x EG-LL 48v LFP batteries.... and since the cabinet is not very tall, I am considering fabrication of a 'inverter stand' to bolt on TOP of the battery rack to minimize the footprint of the system, and hopefully save time versus hammer-drill and expansion bolts into the concrete wall I would otherwise have to mount inverter on.

In new mexico all residential solar MUST used UL listed equipment, be permitted and inspected....

The batteries are UL, inverter is UL.

My question is.... if I drill holes in top of the EG4 battery cabinet to bolt on an inverter 'stand' so I can install the inverter on top of the cabinet, will it violate UL listing, or building code? Our local AHJ is using NEC 2017, but soon to be NEC2020.
I don't think there is anything in the NEC that expressly prohibits it, but you may run afoul of the requirements to use the components 'as instructed'. The inverter probably has spacing instructions that indicate an exclusion zone around it. (for cooling). Does the installation violate those instructions?

Would the individual doing the inspecting be ok with it? Can you ask?

15 years ago a state level person inspected our off grid solar here in New Mexico.

Santa Fe city or county would be involved? That might be difficult for them to accept unconventional.

Wasn’t there some home security video posted here on diysolarforum of ignited combustibles from a solar component landing on a battery bank, causing cell damage?

I don't think there is anything in the NEC that expressly prohibits it, but you may run afoul of the requirements to use the components 'as instructed'. The inverter probably has spacing instructions that indicate an exclusion zone around it. (for cooling). Does the installation violate those instructions?
not at all... I am contemplating a stand on top of the battery cabinet that would offer much improved clearance and cooling all around compared to wall mount.

The only 'violation' I was thinking might be an issue is drilling holes in the battery cabinet for bolts.... since the cabinet was not designed for an extra 75# on top.... but I dunno if the cabinet has to be UL 'pure' the way an electrical enclosure does where you are not allowed to add holes...

Would the individual doing the inspecting be ok with it? Can you ask?

15 years ago a state level person inspected our off grid solar here in New Mexico.

Santa Fe city or county would be involved? That might be difficult for them to accept unconventional.

Wasn’t there some home security video posted here on diysolarforum of ignited combustibles from a solar component landing on a battery bank, causing cell damage?
I am not landing equipment ground to the cabinet.... just changing the structural load by setting inverter on top.

Back