diy solar

diy solar

Combination Inverter/Charger or Separate Units

kwgrant

Hello,
Should I buy a combination inverter/charger or keep them separate?

I want to be able to customize the battery charger voltage and be able to adjust the low voltage cut off on the inverter.

I'd prefer the system to be simple. It will be used by multiple people. I'll be charging 2 12v 120ah lifepo4 batteries in parallel.

Right now I'm looking at the Xantrex Freedom XC 1000 watt. Is there a comparable unit to this? If you were buying separate units what would you recommend? I need pure sine wave. I'm using a Honda EU1000is generator for backup and to power the charger.

Thanks!

I am happy with my Magnum inverter/charger. It has all the features you mention. Victron also makes a nice unit.

...be able to adjust the low voltage cut off on the inverter...

Are you looking for a low in the 18-19 v range instead of the usual 20-21?

The only one that I am aware of is one someone around here managed to dig up made by Samlex that had a low of 19 if I recall correctly...can’t seem to find the thread at the moment...may have been in the the first draft of this forum before the big move?

I have had phone conversation with one company about adjusting the low on their all-in-one models and he emailed the engineers in the company but I haven’t heard anything back. Was only a couple of weeks ago. At first he wasn’t too receptive of the idea but after we chatted for a while, he really warmed up to the idea and seemed to see an upside to it and immediately shot off the idea to headquarters about the possibility and difficulty.

Hopefully we end up seeing a change in specs from them in the future.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you said parallel...same exact issue but numbers change above to 9-9.5 instead of the usual 10 or so...

Edit #2: thread down the street that mentions controller/inverter that has a 9.5 low voltage cut off if that what you are talking about...

Last edited:
I recently bought a Victron multi plus and am very pleased with it. It is fully programmable for pretty much any kind of battery system. It has power assist which adds to your shore power if it doesn't have enough oomph. I'm not sure about the smaller units but, the 3000 I bought also has an extra 12v output to charge a second battery bank (start batteries)

The Magnum and the Victron units look nice, they cost quite a bit more than the Xantrex though. Looks like with the Magnum if I want to customize I need to buy the 150$ controller?

Are you looking for a low in the 18-19 v range instead of the usual 20-21?

The only one that I am aware of is one someone around here managed to dig up made by Samlex that had a low of 19 if I recall correctly...can’t seem to find the thread at the moment...may have been in the the first draft of this forum before the big move?

I have had phone conversation with one company about adjusting the low on their all-in-one models and he emailed the engineers in the company but I haven’t heard anything back. Was only a couple of weeks ago. At first he wasn’t too receptive of the idea but after we chatted for a while, he really warmed up to the idea and seemed to see an upside to it and immediately shot off the idea to headquarters about the possibility and difficulty.

Hopefully we end up seeing a change in specs from them in the future.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you said parallel...same exact issue but numbers change above to 9-9.5 instead of the usual 10 or so...

Edit #2: thread down the street that mentions controller/inverter that has a 9.5 low voltage cut off if that what you are talking about...
I'm wanting to increase the low voltage cutoff.

Increase?

Oh...Sorry...Well far be it from me to question why but many allow you to do that...better ones anyways but not my arena...

Back