diy solar

diy solar

Communication between 6000xp and Lifepower4 battery without update

Kent86

I'm getting ready to install the EG4 6000xp but I haven't received the proper required USB read/write cable so I can update the two EG4 Lifepower batteries that this will be connected to. I've called SS to get an update on the cable as to when the new cable will ship and they couldn't give me an answer. I've seen a couple videos where someone seemed to indicate that communication isn't necessarily required and the 6000xp can just be set to the lead acid setting under the battery menu, rather than lithium. Is this something someone has done with LIfepower4 batteries and can point me in the right direction? Is there a greater possibility of damaging the batteries in this mode?

Thanks
Ken

I'm getting ready to install the EG4 6000xp but I haven't received the proper required USB read/write cable so I can update the two EG4 Lifepower batteries that this will be connected to. I've called SS to get an update on the cable as to when the new cable will ship and they couldn't give me an answer. I've seen a couple videos where someone seemed to indicate that communication isn't necessarily required and the 6000xp can just be set to the lead acid setting under the battery menu, rather than lithium. Is this something someone has done with LIfepower4 batteries and can point me in the right direction? Is there a greater possibility of damaging the batteries in this mode?

Thanks
Ken

Absolutely.

@timselectric is fanatical about NOT having his Growatt talk to his EG4 LFP (Growatt very similar to EG4 closed loop communication). You can do the same with a suitable default program or if it allows a user defined type without communication. On similar models, there is a USE or US2 setting option that allows you to customize charge behavior.

Absolutely.

@timselectric is fanatical about NOT having his Growatt talk to his EG4 LFP (Growatt very similar to EG4 closed loop communication). You can do the same with a suitable default program or if it allows a user defined type without communication. On similar models, there is a USE or US2 setting option that allows you to customize charge behavior.
I’m really curious - many of us really like the closed loop battery communications, but some of the very respected folks on here like @timselectric and @Will Prowse really don’t like it. I’ve never really seen a clear explanation as to why, other than not using closed loop would allow having a mix of batteries from different vendors or home made batteries all connected in parallel. Is that the only reason?

One thing to note. If you upgraded the EG4 Lifepower4 batteries to firmware version 3.32 (or if they already have 3.32) installed) the RS485 bus using pins 7&8 is no longer 9200 baud but I believe it was increased to 115200. Pins 1&2 are a second RS485 bus which is still at 9600 baud.
Pins 1&2 are parallel connected between both jacks as are pins 7&8.

If you have one of your batteries in master mode (address 0) it will use pins 7&8 (both RS485 jacks) to communicate with the other batteries. The inverter would then normally be connected on the pins 1&2 bus to whatever pins the inverter end requires.

$15 + sacrifice an ethernet patch cord, update the batteries. 1B/2A if memory serves. Not a bad idea to have a spare anyway, and the screw lugs make it easy to flop pins.

$15 + sacrifice an ethernet patch cord, update the batteries. 1B/2A if memory serves. Not a bad idea to have a spare anyway, and the screw lugs make it easy to flop pins.
So I can use this instead of the one from SS to update the batteries? I don't mind sacrificing a patch cord.

Yes. An RS485 converter using the correct pins (pins 1 & 2) can be used to monitor and/or update the firmware in an EG4 Lifepower4 battery. You do not event have to set the battery to any particular address (other than 0). Just select the correct battery address when reading the boot data and when uploading the firmware. I have uploaded firmware to six batteries (address 1 thru 6) without changing anything on the batteries. I do not have any battery set to address 0 as I am using an EG4 Communications hub which does the same thing as a battery with address set to 0. For EG4 LIfepower4 batteries, pins 7&8 and a battery to battery "command" bus and pins 1&2 are a "user/monitor/firmware update" bus.
Just ensure you use the correct wire pair. Holding the RJ45 connector you intend to keep (and plug into the batteries) with the lock tab facing away from you and the pins facing up, pins 1&2 are the left most pins. Just note the wire color so you use the correct pair on the "stripped" end you will connect to the converter

Yes. An RS485 converter using the correct pins (pins 1 & 2) can be used to monitor and/or update the firmware in an EG4 Lifepower4 battery. You do not event have to set the battery to any particular address (other than 0). Just select the correct battery address when reading the boot data and when uploading the firmware. I have uploaded firmware to six batteries (address 1 thru 6) without changing anything on the batteries. I do not have any battery set to address 0 as I am using an EG4 Communications hub which does the same thing as a battery with address set to 0. For EG4 LIfepower4 batteries, pins 7&8 and a battery to battery "command" bus and pins 1&2 are a "user/monitor/firmware update" bus.
Just ensure you use the correct wire pair. Holding the RJ45 connector you intend to keep (and plug into the batteries) with the lock tab facing away from you and the pins facing up, pins 1&2 are the left most pins. Just note the wire color so you use the correct pair on the "stripped" end you will connect to the converter

Just ordered the RS485 converter. Thank you, this has been very helpful!!
Just a couple questions-

The twisted pair that I connect on the one end to the RJ45 pins 1 and 2, that same pair on the other end (usb converter terminals) gets connected to which terminals? There's an A+ and B+ terminal and also a ground terminal

Secondly, I have two batteries. The "master" is set to 0 address. Are you saying that it can't be address 0 (all dip switches down)? The second battery is 1 I believe. (the only dip switch up is the far left dip switch)

Thanks again for the help

Back