diy solar

diy solar

Component-based Off-grid solar power system with SBU Mode

diyreg

The All In One systems provide an SBU mode for powering loads that incorporates solar, battery and utility power for the load, in that priority. If you build a system with separate components is it possible to duplicate the SBU mode and use solar, battery and utility power?

The All In One systems provide an SBU mode for powering loads that incorporates solar, battery and utility power for the load, in that priority. If you build a system with separate components is it possible to duplicate the SBU mode and use solar, battery and utility power?

Yes with the correct kit

Generally with 6 months of study, 6 months of attempts, 6 months of unexpected behavior troubleshooting, and 6 counterintuitive voltage trigger hacks people are usually able to get Schneider to approximate an SBU mode.
What a headache. Use Outback components.

I'm half joking and not there yet to speak from personal experience with my Schneider system.

Does Outback do large low frequency split phase inverters? When I was working with lead acid batteries in the 2000's Xantrex was the gold standard, so there is a nostalgia factor to me in it's legacy (I know the key man did go on to do Outback).

It seems like it would a challenge to balance the components to produce SBU. Typical diagrams show the battery connected directly to the solar charger and load. There also needs to be an A/C charging/load source for times when neither solar or battery produce enough power. I did not see a video or diagram from Will, or any posts on this forum on how to set this up.

Any good references for a component system providing SBU functionality?

Any good references for a component system providing SBU functionality?

It's possible to do SBU with:

- victron smart shunt / bmv , with relay functionality,

- a relay that's AC&DC rated

- AC automatic transfer switch

Victron shunt can close the relay at a set low voltage eg. 10.5v , and then open relay once voltage reaches a set high eg. 14.5v

Relay fires the automatic transfer switch

Very complicated , it's much much much simpler with a AIO/hybrid inverter ?

Yikes! In retrospect the title was probably not correct. Off-grid implies no grid source power (to me), and that seems straightforward with components. Introducing grid source power (but not back-feeding) complicates the picture significantly. Doing that with components seems quite complex. I'm surprised this isn't covered more explicitly. Thanks for the confirmation. AIO seems far more viable in this scenario.

Doing that with components seems quite complex.
It's all quite complex ?

Another simpler way is to have a large separate and independent AC/DC battery charger plugged into the utility, turn it in when your batteries are low

Yikes! In retrospect the title was probably not correct. Off-grid implies no grid source power (to me), and that seems straightforward with components. Introducing grid source power (but not back-feeding) complicates the picture significantly. Doing that with components seems quite complex. I'm surprised this isn't covered more explicitly. Thanks for the confirmation. AIO seems far more viable in this scenario.
Not that much more complex. AIO combines inverter and charge controller. Most add isolation relay (substitutes for transfer switch). But many people want a separate transfer switch anyway. Passthrough capability is also higher with AIO. Much of what is in the diagram you need with either system.

There are pros and cons to each option.

You do not need an all in one. I do use a inverter/charger though however it could also be done using. A regular inverte and reguar SCC coupled with an AC charger. You could use AC relays to turn on the AC charger when your Battery level reaches a predetermined low voltage state.

I'm a bit confused by the request. SBU implies utility is present, but you said off grid.

Assuming utility is present, and this isn't an off grid install, I'd expect all component systems to function as you have described. The solar charges the battery, loads (inverter) pull from battery (or straight from solar when the sun is up)
When the battery gets drained down to your set point, the inverter stops outputting and/or closes the grid relays to allow the grid to cover loads.
Pretty basic set up for a component system.

The complications come when you decide what to do with excess solar after the batteries are full and loads satisfied.

Generally with 6 months of study, 6 months of attempts, 6 months of unexpected behavior troubleshooting, and 6 counterintuitive voltage trigger hacks people are usually able to get Schneider to approximate an SBU mode.
Pff, you're just not trying hard enough.? I don't have any where near 6 counter intuitive voltage trigger hacks. But, I do have an external controller telling it when to charge, that's only required because I'm AC coupled.

Does Outback do large low frequency split phase inverters?
The Outback Radian

Back