diy solar

diy solar

connecting an inverter: spark prevention / reduction

But is that 200W 32V lamp instead of 300W 120V lamp as shown in post #14?
The cold resistance of the lamp will be 10 ~ 15 time less than the calculated Hot resistance.

The calculator calculated that at 32 volts 5.12 olms will only pass 200W.

The calculator calculated that at 32 volts 5.12 olms will only pass 200W.
if you use 5.12 Ohms on the 32V system to charge up the capacitor bank in the inverter, the power dissipation will be very short, less than a second for the caps to be charged up due to Time constant of typical 10,000uF capacitor bank.
If you use incandescent lamp the cold resistance will be a lot less than calculated resistance.

if you use 5.12 Ohms on the 32V system to charge up the capacitor bank in the inverter, the power dissipation will be very short, less than a second for the caps to be charged up due to Time constant of typical 10,000uF capacitor bank.
If you use incandescent lamp the cold resistance will be a lot less than calculated resistance.

Will the bulb get hot in that time? The spark was sure hot. enough energy to make a burn mark on battery connectors.

I bet a 32v bulb would light up briefly.

Will the bulb get hot in that time? The spark was sure hot. enough energy to make a burn mark on battery connectors.

I bet a 32v bulb would light up briefly.
The cold resistance at the start will be < 1 Ohm and then rise up as the filament heated, the whole process of charging up the capacitor banks will be very short, you probably will not notice much heat from the lamp.
As I indicate, you can easily check the cold resistance of the lamp with your Ohm meter.

Back