diy solar

diy solar

How to avoid spark on when connecting my inverter to my batteries

Hook it up fast.
Or use one of the options above to pre charge the capacitors.

Easy, no-cost solution:

Close your eyes when touching the cable lug to the battery post. Hold it there.

Open your eyes again to finish attaching the cable.

I've done this for years and it always, always works. ;-)

I normally go for the "tap tap tap" method and enjoy the light show lol

They are lead Acid batteries
I used these with my lifepo4 bank.
YiePhiot 2PCS 50W 25 Ohm Resistor Aluminum Case Wirewound Chassis Mounted Compatible with Ring Doorbell, Nest Hello Doorbell, SkyBell Doorbell Etc https://a.co/d/bGNMfbB
Even with the inverter not plugged in it makes sparks
Add one of these so you don't have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the terminal to power off /on. Then you can jump the switch with the resistor (add a pigtail to one end of the resistor) before turning back on.
Blue Sea Systems 6006 m-Series Battery Switch ON/OFF with Knob, Red https://a.co/d/6OiHQ9z

Ps - nice username ♥ trichomes.

Pretty much any resistor will work.
A pencil has a fairly low resistance, so spark reduction isn’t as good as with a 8 to 15ohm 100W resistor, or a light bulb for that matter…
any problem using a circuit tester? seems to work fine and you get the bonus of watching the light dim as the cap charges...never see it mentioned.

what about lithium batteries, they spark too and this ressistor solve that problem too?

what about lithium batteries, they spark too and this ressistor solve that problem too?
That battery chemistry isn't what's causing the spark its what they are being connected to. A lead acid battery, lithium, etc all spark if you connect them to something that has a large draw to it. No load/draw no spark. Load/draw = spark.

The resistor or even using a pencil allows the device to charge up thus lowering the draw which eliminates the spark from happening.

Some server rack batteries have a resistor built in to avoid the spark.

And the 25 watts and 30 ohm of this resistor can be use by any size inverter? 6000 watts, 10.000 watts?

When you charge up the capacitors, and then turn the inverter off, when do you have to do it again?
If you don't disconnect the battery and the inverter, never. The capacitors stay charged if the inverter and battery are connected, regardless of whether the inverter is on or off.
If you disconnect when the inverter is off, you could reconnect without worrying about it if you do so 'soon'. That's intentionally vague because it could take a variable amount of time for the capacitors to bleed of the charge. If you disconnect with the inverter on, you would discharge the capacitors immediately and would want to recharge before reconnecting.

When you charge up the capacitors, and then turn the inverter off, when do you have to do it again?
That ones impossible to give a blanket answer for since every inverter is going to discharge at a different rate. But I usually consider 5 minutes or so about the max I go without using a pencil to make sure its charged up for reconnecting. I forget how long its been if its longer than that :)

Back