diy solar

diy solar

connecting gas/propane/natural gas generator to all in one solar system through 12v input of the all in one system

4115steve

I want to run a gas generator off wood gas to charge lithium iron batteries through an all in one eg4 system. i was thinking of using this pure sine wage propane generator. Will this work? What problems might occur if i dont use a pure sine wave?

wood gas electric generator-

Wood gas - another of my future build plans ?

The calorific value if wood gas is lower than propane and from what I read some generators are more suited to wood gas than others.

Propane 14kWh / kg
Wood gas depends on what wood and moisture content of the wood but ball park 1.6kWh/kg

It means the power output of the generator is reduced by about the same amount proportionately.

I like that video build running a weed whacker motor to an alternator and lead acid battery. Then could have DC DC charger to your LFP batteries.

If you go the AC charger route, powered by generator, just be sure you factor in the reduced output on wood gas.

Wood gas - another of my future build plans ?

The calorific value if wood gas is lower than propane and from what I read some generators are more suited to wood gas than others.

Propane 14kWh / kg
Wood gas depends on what wood and moisture content of the wood but ball park 1.6kWh/kg

It means the power output of the generator is reduced by about the same amount proportionately.

I like that video build running a weed whacker motor to an alternator and lead acid battery. Then could have DC DC charger to your LFP batteries.

If you go the AC charger route, powered by generator, just be sure you factor in the reduced output on wood gas.
Should i have concerns with the sine wave if i go ac route? If i were to use an alternator and wire it in with the solar panel would i harm anything? you're saying its best to run the alternator to a lead acid battery then wire it into the solar array? What do you think is the easiest way to put wood gas energy into a solar system?

Have never done it - i am only a paper tiger - i dont mean to avoid the answer but before you go wood gas route you first need to quantify fuel type, how you are going to reduce moisture content before you use it, how to sort the chips so they dont clog, whether you are going to manually shake a grate or build an auger feeder. Otherwise you will be attending it constantly to keep the gas rate up for your genny to get a more stable power output for inverter. The video you shared over simplified the feed process but it is a worthwhile project if you have plenty of fuel source.

Not an expert on inverters or AC chargers liking MSW or PSW though - hoping another forum member can answer.

I was thinking the alternator to lead acid meant you could live with fluctuating power output due to the varying burn efficiency because it gets stored in that battery then between the fluctuating alternator output and the already charged lead acid you get a stable dc current from lead acid to your dc dc charger to your lfp.

Oops - i was just talking about how to charge your LFP with wood gas. For solar you are better connecting that to an all in one so you can do MPPT thru all in one to LFP or mains AC to charge LFP.

Engine > alternator > Lead acid and DC DC to LFP was just for wood gas to manage the wood gas fluctuations causing varying power output

Have never done it - i am only a paper tiger - i dont mean to avoid the answer but before you go wood gas route you first need to quantify fuel type, how you are going to reduce moisture content before you use it, how to sort the chips so they dont clog, whether you are going to manually shake a grate or build an auger feeder. Otherwise you will be attending it constantly to keep the gas rate up for your genny to get a more stable power output for inverter. The video you shared over simplified the feed process but it is a worthwhile project if you have plenty of fuel source.

Not an expert on inverters or AC chargers liking MSW or PSW though - hoping another forum member can answer.

I was thinking the alternator to lead acid meant you could live with fluctuating power output due to the varying burn efficiency because it gets stored in that battery then between the fluctuating alternator output and the already charged lead acid you get a stable dc current from lead acid to your dc dc charger to your lfp.
Thanks for your time

What do you think is the easiest way to put wood gas energy into a solar system?
Heat.

Without special equipment (think steam turbines for power generation), it's going to be VERY difficult and inefficient to try and make electricity from wood. You would basically be using the same technology that coal-fired plants use. You can get peltier modules (thermoelectric generator "plates") designed for power generation, rather than cooling , but they're incredibly inefficient.

Small scale wood gas stuff seems better suited for cooking and experimenting, rather than a reliable way to get power.

The best option, IMHO, would be to use the wood for heating (home or water), to save power from other sources.

Heat.

Without special equipment (think steam turbines for power generation), it's going to be VERY difficult and inefficient to try and make electricity from wood. You would basically be using the same technology that coal-fired plants use. You can get peltier modules (thermoelectric generator "plates") designed for power generation, rather than cooling , but they're incredibly inefficient.

Small scale wood gas stuff seems better suited for cooking and experimenting, rather than a reliable way to get power.

The best option, IMHO, would be to use the wood for heating (home or water), to save power from other sources.
i disagree, this video clearly shows a gas motor running on wood gas. The video included in the post also shows a gas motor powering an alternator.

Heat.

Did you watch the video I made with this original post?

Did you watch the video I made with this original post?
I skimmed through it. I'm not saying that wood gas doesn't work. I'm saying that trying to power a load of a decent size with any consistency is going to require way more work than it's worth.

Imagine trying to keep all that equipment running on a regular basis. I'm sure you could do it, but I think that your time and money would be better spent adding more solar and batteries. Unless you just want to build one for fun, then absolutely go for it! I have quite a few projects that are inefficient but were a lot of fun to build, and very satisfying once they worked.

I've seen thousands of homes with solar panels, I've never seen a single one that uses wood gas to power things though. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't work, but there's probably a reason for that.

I skimmed through it. I'm not saying that wood gas doesn't work. I'm saying that trying to power a load of a decent size with any consistency is going to require way more work than it's worth.

Imagine trying to keep all that equipment running on a regular basis. I'm sure you could do it, but I think that your time and money would be better spent adding more solar and batteries. Unless you just want to build one for fun, then absolutely go for it! I have quite a few projects that are inefficient but were a lot of fun to build, and very satisfying once they worked.

I've seen thousands of homes with solar panels, I've never seen a single one that uses wood gas to power things though. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't work, but there's probably a reason for that.
good point

It has been used historically to power cars / trucks / buses in needs must situations, IE no access to processed hydrocarbons. That was before solar panels existed. So it depends on your objectives.

The main downsides to me are the energy density difference ( a LOT of wood to process and 10x longer to run a genny for same power as processed HC) and the near constant attendance to run it. If you want a solution to long term no access to processed HC and periods of long cloud cover then conventional generator with LPG tank is hard to beat.

Still a fun project but not if it is to be a solution to serious energy problems.

@Will Prowse Here you go Will. Perfect item to make a video on. A custom built wood powered generator.

Or maybe do one of those treadmill/rower/elliptical/hand crank systems to a battery / super cap to use people power to generate electricity.

Back