diy solar

diy solar

Connection question - Will this be OK?

Dokasrf

Hello everyone,

it's nice to meet you all. As the forum says, I am embarrassed to ask anywhere else in the forum so here I am.

Let me introduce myself. I am very new to the solar community. I have purchased a few ecoflows during the past couple of years. A friend of mine - who's an electrician - says don't worth it. But they do the job for me. It's a life or death job actually and they did and do the job. I am not saying other battery generators woulndn't. They sure would. It just happened that this brand was advertised more in my area so I got used to it.

Anyway. Back to my question.

My latest purchase or buy (sorry I am not a native speaker please tell my what is the right way to say that) was an Delta PRO. Whenever I use it we recharge it using the power grid when power comes back on. But I want to add some panels too. The problem is that I keep the device inside my house. And I don't want cables hanging around left on the floor if we imagine that a cable comes from the roof to floor ground, we would have an mc4 connector lying down all the time.

So I googled a lot and amazonED a lot (lol) so I found this:

post1.jpg

These are wall mounted sae plugs. So then I draw the image bellow. What happens here is this. A cable 20-25 meter long (65-82 feet) will run from my roof to my wall. The wall will have a discreet mounted SAE connector. Whenever I need to use the panels I will remove the cap from the wall mounted plug and use a SAE to XT60 Cable and charge my ecoflow. My only problem here as I mention on the image is that I am not sure if the right end of my long cable should be bare and somehow connect it to the wall mounted SAE or if it should be MC4 and then connect it somehow to the wall SAE plug.

So the question is. Could this work? I hope you won't laugh with my question guys. I am very new I have no idea. I am just figuring out things. Thank you!

canvas_ecoflow.png

Last edited:
If your ok running bare cable in your walls, and If I'm understanding your question correctly, you only need to buy two MC4 connector ends and attach them to the ends of your "bare cables inside the wall", then connect them to the panels. There are quite a few u-tube vids on making the MC4 connections to cable.

Last edited:
What about mounting an outdoor outlet box and just coiling up the MC4 ends inside there? It doesn't have to be super deep, just enough to hold a couple of MC4 ends and a few inches of wire.

71avOr6rtuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

People are suggesting to just use the mc4 wires and find a neat way to keep them hidden when not using them (I think) because the general rule of thumb is to avoid unnecessary connectors as each one is a potential point of failure. Overheating is in the vast majority of cases at a connection not along a cables length.

That said there's nothing wrong with your plan so long as the connection is rated for the current from the panels. I'd be wary of any specs from an amazon listing but your panels might only output 10A which is relatively low. If they give more than that then you might want to double check the rating on the connector.

I hate these connectors becuase the outter barrel expands. I use Anderson Connectors
1692019217991.png

If your ok running bare cable in your walls, and If I'm understanding your question correctly, you only need to buy two MC4 connector ends and attach them to the ends of your "bare cables inside the wall", then connect them to the panels. There are quite a few u-tube vids on making the MC4 connections to cable.
Um... It's just a few centimeters maube a couple of inches deep the wall. It will come from outside the house inside. I don't think you understood what my goal is. Sorry I am confused.

What about mounting an outdoor outlet box and just coiling up the MC4 ends inside there? It doesn't have to be super deep, just enough to hold a couple of MC4 ends and a few inches of wire.

71avOr6rtuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have thought about it and already order something simmilar. It's just not as discreet. That's why I'd go to wall plugs. So I want Panels > Cable > Wall plug > Plug to Ecoflow. This is what I ordered from amazon.

415xgaoDtjL.jpg
I will mount it on my wall. The cables from the solar will be connected internally and every time I need to charge my ecoflow I will go from MC4 to xt60. That cable is included.

Thank you for your replies. I think I am going to stick to that black box.

Final results as it is (probably) going to be
canvas_ecoflow-wiring-230814_1407.png

Last edited:
Back