diy solar

diy solar

Considering batteries without solar

Another thing I think would help with reducing utility bills is replacing our heating and cooling systems with a passive solar system using the sun to keep a mass of sand very hot like an oven (this is called a sand battery) then use this for heating, and also use it for cooling because an Einstein Refrigerator has no moving parts and only requires a heat source on one end to make cold on the other end

I'm also in San Diego and I've also been considering the same thing. Maybe we could work together on this.

Here's what I've been thinking:
- 5 kWh of battery should be enough to offset peak 4-9pm usage (battery cost is around $200 per kWh) and will have the fastest payback
- the EV-TOU5 rate plan is needed https://www.sdge.com/total-electric-rates (currently summer high, mid, and low time of use rates are 0.81629, 0.48129, 0.15351 and winter are 0.51149, 0.44775, 0.14520 plus a $16/mo fee, and Summer is June 1 - October 31 (5 months) and Winter is November 1 - May 31 (7 months))
- an inverter with enough output to run any combination of house things
- something like a programmable automatic transfer switch to prevent backfeeding the grid and to enable battery charging on a schedule
- a 48 volt system is ideal to minimize losses
- if all 5 kWh are used to offset the highest rate, the savings will be about $100/mo during the 5 summer months and $50/mo during the 7 winter months or about $850/yr meaning the system should pay for itself in less than 2 years.
- Will Prowse has suggested making the system portable by mounting it to a dolly
For $9k you can get the eg4 18kpv and the 14kWh powerpro. Yes, it extends the payback to 11 years (before federal 30% tax credit). But, you now have grid down backup and easy way to add solar.

Back