diy solar

diy solar

Constant buzzing sound 24v / 1200w victron inverter

Vega

Hey!

I bought a second hand Victron Phoenix 24v / 1200w inverter -- (seller promised it was literally just installed, and taken down again).

When I use it with my battery (li-ion 29.4v) it gives an electric kind of buzzing sound that is quite annoying when there's not any other noise around.

Is it supposed to give off this sound, or is something defect?

Thanks!

Do you have an 8S Li-ion battery? 4.2V * 8 = 33.6V. IIRC, the 24V Victrons shut down at 33V.

Does the buzzing sound change with the applied loads?

Does the buzzing change if you modify the position of the inverter? Run it on its side? Back?

I think the buzzing sounds many power type devices make is due to the current causing a vibration in the transformer coils. As the magnetic field expands and collapses, it causes loose component parts to move back and forth slightly.

Sometimes rubber mounting pads can eliminate the sound.

Do you have an 8S Li-ion battery? 4.2V * 8 = 33.6V. IIRC, the 24V Victrons shut down at 33V.
Hey, no it's 7S @ 29.4 max

Does the buzzing sound change with the applied loads?

Does the buzzing change if you modify the position of the inverter? Run it on its side? Back?

I think the buzzing sounds many power type devices make is due to the current causing a vibration in the transformer coils. As the magnetic field expands and collapses, it causes loose component parts to move back and forth slightly.

Sometimes rubber mounting pads can eliminate the sound.
Hey! No it does not seems to change at all, depending on any of those factors you listed.
Rubber mounting pads-- do you then mean inside the inverter where the transformer coils sit?

I have a 48V phoenix 375A and it buzzes pretty load if I am using it to the max. Isn't this normal? If I am barely using it, the buzzing goes down.

I have the 24/1200 inverter and I have a buzz when the load is around 600 watts but goes away with loads around 200 watts.

So is the conclusion that this is perfectly normal for a Victron inverter (any inverter?)? Or did this guy sell me an inverter with a small buzzing problem?

Mine is buzzing as long as it's on. Nothing to do with load.

Back