diy solar

diy solar

Constructing a portable all-in-one system

coffeej

tl;dr: how crazy would it be to construct your own EcoFlow Delta equivalent?

---

I was looking at the EcoFlow Delta Pro to act as a solar-enabled UPS for my servers, with the option of at some point repurposing the EcoFlow for mobile power (perhaps in a truck or RV). But as noted in another thread, the Delta Pro cannot do automatic switchover from solar to grid charging.

An all-in-one inverter unit like the EG4 3000EHV-48 can do this "preferential charging," as far as I understand. And when you pair with an EG4 48V 100AH battery, you have roughly ~33% more capacity than the EcoFlow Delta Pro does.... at about $1000 less!

Would it be totally crazy to try and jerry-rig some custom frame on wheels that houses both the EG4 inverter and battery, and cart that around in lieu of something like the Delta Pro?

I have similar "portable Battery+Inverter" plans for my solar trailer setup that might be beneficial for you to check out. I plan on building a box with 1/4" hardie board (fiber cement board) for fire resistance, and I'll probably be insulating it as well to help protect against freezing temps.

FWIW those EG4 inverters have pretty bad vampiric idle drain vs comparable Growatt/MPP inverters.

Lastly, if you check out the LifePower4 reviews @ Signature, you'll find some pictures of some other people slapping a Growatt SPF 3000TL + LifePower4 on a hand truck. Definitely a few examples to draw from, so you're not alone.

the Delta Pro cannot do automatic switchover from solar to grid charging.
This might not be true anymore. My Delta 2 has an option for this kind of behavior, although frankly it could use more options for how exactly it behaves (I'd rather it just fall back to AC if the battery is depleted, and not start charging automatically until solar is available again):
1672854492368.png

I like the Internet gentleman ( Proser ?) and his setup(s) … definitely better solar INPUT options this route ! I just didn’t like the Amazon reviews and the lack of extended warranty….. Ecoflow has 5 year if you register through the website… most Amazon hybrid mpp controller / inverters seem to have 1year warranty and/or no “ USA “ presence for issues…. And the batteries are varied warranty …. This prompted me to buy (2) Ecoflow Delta Pros ( this allows 2 Solar strings and 2kw plus charging ) and I put the one DP as the “ main “ unit for running to a manual transfer switch and the loads , and the other DP charges the first ! I set it to turn off at about 12% …. The first charges to “ 100%” then acts as a “ pass through “ for the second until the second drains down … then#1 DP takes back over… when Solar comes on , the second DP turns back on and starts charging up again . Through the app , no matter where I am , I initiate the “ ac on “ on the second , and it starts charging the first again ! So it’s almost completely automated set up now , and unless I have 2 cloudy days in a row , etc .. I leave the manual transfer switch going 24/7 … and have plenty in reserve at all times .

I built my own as a starter version. Not as pretty but it's a first run so...
Nice.
I am working on fitting a pair of 3000W 24V all in ones into a Ridgid pack out handtruck… I have the stuff, just organizing the best arrangement.

I want to use the 6548, but they won’t fit in the package… a pair of 3000W inverters linked and sharing should give ample output, and function. I have a single 150Ah battery…

I want everything to be in pvc boxes, and have zero shock hazard.

The issue with building one of these is WEIGHT!
LFP especially in a rack mount case ain’t light. Needing three guys to move around the device kinda defeats the purpose.

I’m thinking a cart for the electronics, and modules to drop on for storage… 150Ah 24V is about 60lbs… and having sets of Anderson PP75 or 150 connectors make connection easy.

Hand truck and tool cart builds are all over youtube and a GroWatt 3000 watt or MPP LV2424 can be put together for less than a Delta Pro and will have a larger solar input and be able to use a "grid assist" mode which none of the solar generators have figured out yet. Most of the cheap chinese or tiawan AIO's are pretty loud though.

tl;dr: how crazy would it be to construct your own EcoFlow Delta equivalent?

---

I was looking at the EcoFlow Delta Pro to act as a solar-enabled UPS for my servers, with the option of at some point repurposing the EcoFlow for mobile power (perhaps in a truck or RV). But as noted in another thread, the Delta Pro cannot do automatic switchover from solar to grid charging.

An all-in-one inverter unit like the EG4 3000EHV-48 can do this "preferential charging," as far as I understand. And when you pair with an EG4 48V 100AH battery, you have roughly ~33% more capacity than the EcoFlow Delta Pro does.... at about $1000 less!

Would it be totally crazy to try and jerry-rig some custom frame on wheels that houses both the EG4 inverter and battery, and cart that around in lieu of something like the Delta Pro?
Oh, you mean this:

or this:

Back