diy solar

diy solar

Could use a little advice

Bannsco

Hello all !

I have 90 400w panels needing to be run to 2 EG4 18K inverters with 6 EG4LL 48v batteries. I have my main panel on the corner of my house but I need to put the inverter in the shed. I have attached my main photo and I don't think I have enough room to install it. Should I get a sub-panel? or just install the 2 50 amp breakers ? Any and all suggestions would be helpful thank you, the electrician quoted me 10k to install it right when I figured I could do it myself for a lot cheaper..

Thanks
Austin@fesystems.us

IMG_0936.jpeg

90 400w panels, 2 inverters and hardly any battery, 2x 60A and 2x 100A breakers in the panel, we have questions.
90x400= 36Kw
18Kpv x 2 = 36Kw of charge controller but it will be hard to panel up to the 18K limit. It never quite works out. Could overpanel I guess.
Yes, the 2 60A and 2 100A breakers must feed subpanels somewhere.
No white tape on the 100A feeder neutral to the right.

So to clarify this is the main for two houses on the property we are going to hopefully get them fully off-grid. Any suggestions on the main for an off grid system ?

The electrician said to do 2x 200 amp subpanel with main disconnect and pv disconnect.

$10K to install that many solar panels, load center, subpanels, inverters, disconnects, batteries, sounds like a pretty good deal even if it's just for the labor. This is from a licensed electrician? If this was my project, I'd hire him right now.

$10K to install that many solar panels, load center, subpanels, inverters, disconnects, batteries, sounds like a pretty good deal even if it's just for the labor. This is from a licensed electrician? If this was my project, I'd hire him right now.
Panels are already installed. but yes we are going to hire him and do the job properly.

Bannsco that's probably the best route to go. With wiring 2 200amp panels, sub-panels integrating conduit boxes etc.. that's a decent price.

With a 200a service and that much possible load, are also looking for a service upgrade from the utility?

What’s the rule on how many 200a sub panels can be served from a 200a service?

Will the 18ks be configured with zero export enabled?

I have 2 x 200 amp panels fed from a 200 amp feed. PoCo refused to upgrade my feed. They did put in a 400 amp meter base, simply because that's the smallest that has dual output connections. Still off a 200 amp transformer.

That's not much battery for that amount of panels and inverter.

I have 2 x 200 amp panels fed from a 200 amp feed. PoCo refused to upgrade my feed. They did put in a 400 amp meter base, simply because that's the smallest that has dual output connections. Still off a 200 amp transformer.

That's not much battery for that amount of panels and inverter.
I’m sure they’d gladly upgrade if you paid them too.

I’m wondering if this system is to accommodate more load or just net to zero with no grid export.

I’m wondering if this system is to accommodate more load or just net to zero with no grid export.
Yes this feels like a potential bone of contention with electrician if requirements are not clearly specified and locked in the plans/SLD/contract

As specified I don’t think it’s anywhere near clear enough.

With $10k budget $200 on drafting feels like a reasonable investment

With a 200a service and that much possible load, are also looking for a service upgrade from the utility?

What’s the rule on how many 200a sub panels can be served from a 200a service?

Will the 18ks be configured with zero export enabled?
He might have to find a way to meet the 120% rule. I would determine that first.

On my shop is a 200A panel. Incoming 4/0 won't be long enough for a reroute and installing a panel alongside isn't possibly due to conduit. My option appears to be to install a new 200A panel on the outside of the wall and run new wire into the building to inverter, then to panel. I might even add a transfer switch outside to enable quick transfer to grid if inverter goes down. It would be new 200A panel, feed from new panel to transfer switch. Inverter output to transfer switch and common from transfer switch to old 200A panel. Feed from new panel to inverter input.

Installing it this way I won't have to deal with the 120% rule.

So to clarify this is the main for two houses on the property we are going to hopefully get them fully off-grid. Any suggestions on the main for an off grid system ?

The electrician said to do 2x 200 amp subpanel with main disconnect and pv disconnect.
I'd make each house on it's own PV system with an 18Kpv for each house. Each house has a 200A panel.

Back