diy solar

diy solar

Cpap battery backup

ampmike

Has Will done a comparison and or review on 12v Cpap batteries. One that only has a 12v outlet and no 110v like the BPS Freedom V2 Travel battery??

How will you be using it. That is a nice looking battery pack but wow the cost .

My cpap has a 12v cigarette lighter male plug but I could change the connection to whatever.

Will you use it as a portable battery or stationary? I looked into this awhile back was going to use this battery box and make my own.

My present way in my motorhome is a group 27 deep cycle battery in a plastic battery box located in a storage compartment below my bedroom. I ran a red/black zip cord to a female receptacle under the bed. It is good for about 2 nights with my machine set on 13 with the humidifier running.
I charge it while boondocking with a 200w Dokio solar panel.

I have a Jackery 500 as CPAP backup - the humidifier is what really sucks the power so you need to actually test it with humidifier or figure on leaving that off for backup situations.

I do like I said above. I am just looking for an additional way to expand what I have.
To expand, you need to tie in a compatible battery.
To replace, you can change to a different setup.
I would build a 280Ah LFP and drop it in an ammo can with a pair of cigarette outlets, and maybe a USB outlet on a switch.

To expand, you need to tie in a compatible battery.
To replace, you can change to a different setup.
I would build a 280Ah LFP and drop it in an ammo can with a pair of cigarette outlets, and maybe a USB outlet on a switch.
Please read the original post, that is what I am interested in.

For my cpap machine
We have used li-ion battery that I assembled to run my wife's CPAP unit, 12v DC. I think running with the water warmer it only used about 140watt-hours per night. 12v, 20 amp hour li-ion or LiFePo4 would do fine, for one night use. Lead Acid, I would maybe go a little larger amp hours.

Please read the original post, that is what I am interested in.
Gotcha.
Sorry,it is unlikely in the extreme there are reviews out there on this specific design.
Let us know if further help is wanted.

You could get a few of them and review them yourself and help out others with your specific needs...

Good luck.

Buddy of mine showed me some crazy little battery pack I’ll have to ask him what the name was. As for myself. I’m actually in the middle of a conversion to make my little trailer cpap and house lights power wise. Ampere time 100ah battery, 100 watt panel. I was almost done with the set up until the controller went nuts today. I’ve got the 12 v dc cord and max rated is 80 watts but I also don’t plan on using the heater or the humidity etc.
i wish I could report back on run time hours or days. But I’m back a few steps to find a new controller and a shunt / monitor

Last edited:
What I ended up doing is making my own. I bought a Weize 50ah Lithium battery, found an ammo/tool box that it would fit in and a 4 panel cigarette lighter outlet. I already had the fuse holder, wires and crimp connectors.
Battery off Ebay $219.99
panel off ebay $15.28
box from Harbor freight $12.95
total $248.22 not counting wire and supplies
The total weight is about 15 pounds
I cut the tray that came with the box to fit the battery so it would not slide around and a spot for the wires to fold into.
After my first try to close the lid I made a stand off to make the wires go into the cut out better.
Also the lid touches the positive and negative posts so I heated and dimpled the lid to clear.
I charged it to 13.3 on the gauge that came with the kit
I used it last night with my Resperonics System One set on 13 in with humidifier on 3
After a very good uninterrupted 9 hour sleep the volt meter read 12.8
This morning I hooked up my 300 w Dokio solar panel and had the battery charged back to 13.3 in about 2 hours.
I suspect the voltmeter with the ebay panel is not correct so this afternoon I am going to check the voltage with a multi meter then the next morning after use.

then again the next morning after use.
weize50.pngbox.png4 holr.pngIMG_1214.JPGcvpax.pngIMG_1213.JPGdimple.png
IMG_1211.JPG then again the next morning after use.

What I ended up doing is making my own. I bought a Weize 50ah Lithium battery, found an ammo/tool box that it would fit in and a 4 panel cigarette lighter outlet. I already had the fuse holder, wires and crimp connectors.
Battery off Ebay $219.99
panel off ebay $15.28
box from Harbor freight $12.95
total $248.22 not counting wire and supplies
The total weight is about 15 pounds
I cut the tray that came with the box to fit the battery so it would not slide around and a spot for the wires to fold into.
After my first try to close the lid I made a stand off to make the wires go into the cut out better.
Also the lid touches the positive and negative posts so I heated and dimpled the lid to clear.
I charged it to 13.3 on the gauge that came with the kit
I used it last night with my Resperonics System One set on 13 in with humidifier on 3
After a very good uninterrupted 9 hour sleep the volt meter read 12.8
This morning I hooked up my 300 w Dokio solar panel and had the battery charged back to 13.3 in about 2 hours.
I suspect the voltmeter with the ebay panel is not correct so this afternoon I am going to check the voltage with a multi meter then the next morning after use.

then again the next morning after use.
View attachment 97219View attachment 97220View attachment 97222View attachment 97223View attachment 97226View attachment 97227View attachment 97228
View attachment 97229 then again the next morning after use.
I picked up this same toolbox with similar goals.

I charged the new CPAP yesterday with my new 300W Dokio solar panel (100%) sunlight for 6-7 hours (showing charging 12+ amps).
The charge indicator on the unit said 13.7 and multimeter said 13.78. After using the unit with my CPAP on setting 13 and the humidifier on 3 for 8 hours and 15 minutes the charge indicator said 13.1 and multimeter said 13.18.
I am going to use it again tonight and see if I can get a full two nights with the humidifier on 3 again.
I also printed a % chart to put on the lid.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 3
So I ran my CPAP the second night about 9 hours, still using the humidifier on 3 and the battery gauge and multimeter matched this time at 12.8..
Th chart I have says I have 17% left. I read not to discharge a lithium battery like this lower that 20%. I am used to using a flooded lead acid battery and 12.8 would be fully charged and I could run it down to 12.2. I guess by what I read I should not attempt to use the lithium battery again without charging.

diy solar

diy solar
Back