diy solar

diy solar

Crescent hammers, all purpose pipe wrench and screw driving butter knife.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
If you are a beginner to solar and DIY it might not occur to you that a part of creating a good lasting setup is to have good tools to work with. This means spending a bit more and not just grabbing your tools from the 99 cent bargain bin at the auto parts store. Screwdrivers are not one size fit all screws. Nor should you grab pliers to tighten down battery bolts. And that big Crescent wrench is not the tool to drive in ground rods with.

While you are in the research stage of your new project put some effort into researching adequate tools to complete the job. Yes it does add to the cost. But it is worth it having tools you can rely on.

Some of my most used tools for doing electrical work are my Klein screwdrivers (3 Phillips and 3 slotted size) I have had them in my kit for 30 years. A Klein wire stripper/crimper does most of my wire duties up to 10awg. Another favorite is my Channel Lock diagonal cutting pliers as well as Slip joint pliers. I have an old set of needle nose pliers that I have had for so long that no descernable name on them can be found but they just keep working. Nut drivers I own are Craftsman and Popular mechanics brand. Most wrenches, sockets, and ratchets are Craftsman I bought back in a steel tool box from Sears in the late 70's. I do own several newer tools that I have bought to complete a particular job or task some just set now and gather dust.

Last edited:
Agreed! Good quality tools are a must in all fields.
I've beat the crap out of my channel lock screwdrivers I bought from Sam's Club years ago, I haven't worn out the tips yet; best part is I bought them for the free bottle opener ?.
Love my Knipex pliers, Milwaukee strippers/cutters, old good Craftsman sockets, real Vise Grips, Estwing and Trusty Cook hammers, etc.
Basically if you need it once or twice go to Harbor Freight and buy the cheapest you can find, if you're going to use it alot spend some more money and buy non Chineseium tools. Be careful it's an addiction. ?

The good thing is nowadays there is so much tool review/testing info out there that you can sort the good from the bad among the cheap stuff a lot easier than you used to be able to.

Of course as an auto tech guy of about 20yrs now ive gotten to a point i can spot good or bad almost purely from the visuals but that’s an eye developed over.. 20 years!

For someone who is ‘new to tools’ one of my most general pieces of advice for hand tools is the smaller the tool, the higher quality you should buy. As tools get bigger and bigger they get to a point where a sloppy fit or poor metallurgy hardly matters because the human body maxes out long before the tool or fastener does. Not that you use many big tools on a solar system!

One thing that is small and nice to have is a nice MC4 disconnect tool.

Here is another resource :

...Nut drivers I own are Craftsman and Popular mechanics brand...
I was prepared to call you out on the Popular Mechanics brand as I have what's left of a screwdriver/torx set from them that I am sure I bought at Walmart. Sure enough, they say made in USA on the handles. Guess that was before they imported 99.9% of their products from the far East. Also a testimony to the brand, since they are at least 30 years old.:)

I'm still a huge fan of Pittsburg for 2 reasons:

1: One of the best warranties on hand tools in the country, just walk into any Harbor Freight and swap it out. No paperwork, no registering your tool, no mailing it and waiting for a replacement, just grab one off the shelf.

2: If/When I do really muck up a hand tool beyond usability, I've probably already gotten my $5 in value out of it. ;)

I'm still a huge fan of Pittsburg for 2 reasons:

1: One of the best warranties on hand tools in the country, just walk into any Harbor Freight and swap it out. No paperwork, no registering your tool, no mailing it and waiting for a replacement, just grab one off the shelf.
So true, I've taken a few random hand tools back over the years, reminds me of when you could walk into sears with broken craftsman and walk out with new. I still grab my pittsburgh composite ratchet frequently over many others.

Yeah, at this point the Craftsman warranty is useless for the older tools because if you have something old that's actually good and you want it repaired, more than likely they're just going to want to you hand it to them so they can throw it into the trash can behind the counter and exchange you for a brand new piece of crap (relatively speaking). I have some old Craftsman ratchets i'm really fond of. If they break its onto ebay for repair kits but i would rather throw them in the trash myself than go exchange them for the most part.

My parents bought me a ~200pc tool kit for my 16th birthday. I still have and use most of it (but it moved out of a plastic carrier into a 6ft Matco box). That was the 90s, maybe not the good old days but good enough!

If anyone wants to geek out over old tools, Garagejournal.com used to be the place to go.. i havent logged in in a long time but the place was pretty active so i assume it still is.

One thing that is small and nice to have is a nice MC4 disconnect tool.
I keep one on top of a SCC outdoors (it is protected from the elements) for quick access.

A tool I would not do without is my battery drill. It is a Ridgid 12v with 1/2 inch chuck I bought back in 2002. I have had to replace the battery packs a few times but the drill just keeps on going.

One of the best places for tools is my local flea market. You can find the quality brands in the piles of stuff they sell and sometimes get things just for a dollar. Got a nice clamp meter for 10$, and a premium-grade cable-puller for just 5$. Guy did not even know what it was for. Great way to spend a Saturday morning.

BTW, I got an 18" pipe wrench for only 7$. I used that to get the barrel off my 8mm Mauser.

Back