diy solar

diy solar

Crimper for MC4

coo1guy

Could someone let me know if I can use this crimper for MC4 connectors?

If not, do I need another crimper altogether or can I just replace the teeth with one on the back of the package (2nd picture)?

Thanks

crimper1.jpg
crimper2.jpg

The LS-03B (from your chart) also go up to 6mm^2, so they'd be fine.

Have a shop around as you'll often find the complete tool for not much more than a set of jaws.

Mc4 can be crimped with the appropriate sized “ open barrel “ crimp tool
Not sure what you mean by "open barrel" but to properly crimp an MC4 and not having the knowledge that the manufacturer has about their product I'd use what they recommend which is the tool that folds the ends back down into the wire. Like the one in post #2

Not sure what you mean by "open barrel" but to properly crimp an MC4 and not having the knowledge that the manufacturer has about their product I'd use what they recommend which is the tool that folds the ends back down into the wire. Like the one in post #2
Open barrel is a term used to describe thd type of crimp that is used in many terminals including MC4. Try Googling it.

I can remember "crimping" terminals with a steel hammer in a steel table 40+ years ago in a multi-million dollar mfg company's plant. I cringe just thinking about that now. Thankfully we moved to more correct methods not long after I started working there. Proper tools are needed but other methods will work...more or less. In the case of PV wiring, bad connections and the heat that they generate are problems that we don't need.

It's (open barrel) a different name for exactly the same thing (yes I had to look it up)

Could someone let me know if I can use this crimper for MC4 connectors?

If not, do I need another crimper altogether or can I just replace the teeth with one on the back of the package (2nd picture)?

Thanks

View attachment 117003
View attachment 117004
I'd highly recommend getting the mc4 crimper from the get to. It's the only tool that will crimp the mc4 connectors properly. You wont be able to pull the cables apart by force, which is indication of properly crimped connectors.

Back