diy solar

diy solar

Crimping tool recommendations for MC4

fisherman

Good Morning,

I haven't been able to come to a conclusion on what MC4 crimper to buyand haven't found much using the search function on the forum on this.

Would anyone have recommendations on what is working for them when crimping MC4?

Thank you

If you already have a set of ratcheting crimpers, this die may work for it. This is what I use and haven't had any issues with the crimps it makes. All issues have been from me being too low on the learning curve.

If you already have a set of ratcheting crimpers, this die may work for it. This is what I use and haven't had any issues with the crimps it makes. All issues have been from me being too low on the learning curve.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a set just yet.

The biggest issue I had with making MC4 connections was with the operator. I burned through a couple of the crimp terminals making mistakes. Plan it out well and understand what you're doing.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a set just yet.

Consider getting one. Some sets have die for many common terminals, so very useful.

I'm not say this one is ideal or not for MC4; sometimes listed crimper/terminal is the thing to do. I've only tried some MC3 so far.
I have one of these, and one of the infamous Harbor Freight hydraulic crimpers (die fitting a terminal is fairly hit or miss, so I suggest researching selection of large lug crimpers carefully.)

I had thought about it. But once I saw how the terminals were crimped, I didn't think I could do very well with just pliers. It's not just a flattening of the terminal.

Certainly fiddly to do

, I think as long as you get a firm crimp it should be electrically sound

Good Morning,

I haven't been able to come to a conclusion on what MC4 crimper to buyand haven't found much using the search function on the forum on this.

Would anyone have recommendations on what is working for them when crimping MC4?

Thank you
I only use solder.
I dip each end in phosphorcic acid then solder.
Not sure if there is Ranex rust remover in the USA. That has phosphoric acid and works well.
When I crimp a whole bunch one or two usually pull off on testing strongly by hand using pliers. When I soder I can't even pull the lugs off in a vise.

Even if using solder for that purpose, I'd still rather crimp first, as you'll get closer to copper to copper connection. Solder is high resistance by comparison.

I had thought about it. But once I saw how the terminals were crimped, I didn't think I could do very well with just pliers. It's not just a flattening of the terminal.
The proper dies will crimp onto the wire with a tenacious grip. I doubt you can replicate it with pliers or any other dies. Solder is not needed or even recommended.

Is an MC4 crimper any different from a 'normal' crimper for bare 4-6mm2 lugs/connectors/etc?

Is an MC4 crimper any different from a 'normal' crimper for bare 4-6mm2 lugs/connectors/etc?

if you look at them there's 2 arms sticking up like a U shape , unlike normal lugs that are a full circle . You have to fold one side then the other

if you look at them there's 2 arms sticking up like a U shape , unlike normal lugs that are a full circle . You have to fold one side then the other
Here's a photo of the crimper that I have for bare connectors. Looks like the die set @HRTKD mentioned.

Attachments

• crimp.jpg
    crimp.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7
Back