diy solar

diy solar

Custom Power Jack inverters

DThames

Solar Wizard
I have a slow moving project that at some point I plan to have a standby power system with a split phase inverter with will run a 1/2 or 3/4 hp well pump. The argument for a low freq inverter in my case makes good sense. I like the idea of an inverter that I could repair. While surfing Youtube I came across these videos where Genetry Solar talks about is talking about their work with Power Jack to have a house branded custom LF inverter. Another video. It appears the owner is very interested in having a product that he can stand behind. I have not affiliation with Genetry Solar nor Power Jack. I will be watching this story unfold.

Not sure yet what I am going to do about a split phase inverter. It is a standby system, so doesn't warrant a premium product investment. I am going to try to capture the starting current curve of my pumps, so I will have some real data for sizing. I have noticed that the Standard Power Jack units that say 6000w, are rated at 3000w, so their labeling is a bit misleading.

IIRC, PowerJack is garbage, but after Gentry does his magic, they're reliable.

I recently purchased a cheap clamp meter with an inrush function. Looking forward to testing it on something. Using only the max on most meters falls well short.

If you just want to brute force it:

Right around $1000 after shipping.

It's made by Sigineer.

If you just want to brute force it:
Another option
SP2.2LS1.jpg

$500-$1000 (not in stock)

Yep. I looked at those for my neighbor's 3hp well pump, but they lie. When I told them the locked rotor current, they said no way, hence the sigineer

Yep. I looked at those for my neighbor's 3hp well pump, but they lie. When I told them the locked rotor current, they said no way, hence the sigineer
Yep for a 3hp version. however OP talking about 0.5 to 0.75hp pump. Kinda apples and oranges.

Agreed. When I found those well pump controllers, they were about $1000. For the same price, I'd prefer a brute force inverter. :)

There are probably other options for lower power LF inverters, but they seem to be a little harder to find in split phase.

A good read if yoh have time on the PJ's, they actually are a good inverter for the price, just there QC absolutely sucks, random extra bits, loose connections etc.

Most of these blokes who did the write up on them have gone to the EG8010 chip for the brains, myself included, simply for repairability.. again another good read if you are interested

This bloke can help you with a book and boards for your own...

Hope this helps....

I have a slow moving project that at some point I plan to have a standby power system with a split phase inverter with will run a 1/2 or 3/4 hp well pump. The argument for a low freq inverter in my case makes good sense. I like the idea of an inverter that I could repair. While surfing Youtube I came across these videos where Genetry Solar talks about is talking about their work with Power Jack to have a house branded custom LF inverter. Another video. It appears the owner is very interested in having a product that he can stand behind. I have not affiliation with Genetry Solar nor Power Jack. I will be watching this story unfold.

Not sure yet what I am going to do about a split phase inverter. It is a standby system, so doesn't warrant a premium product investment. I am going to try to capture the starting current curve of my pumps, so I will have some real data for sizing. I have noticed that the Standard Power Jack units that say 6000w, are rated at 3000w, so their labeling is a bit misleading.
My exact plan also. Will be watching for updates.

Back