diy solar

diy solar

Dakota Lithium?

Uisge

Will, I really feel I have learned a lot from your videos and have enjoyed the battery reviews/comparisons/teardowns.

Have you looked at or considered looking at the Dakota Lithium product?

Regards,

-Uisge

Those are interesting batteries. Thanks for pointing them out.

The web site says:

Operating temperature
Ideal for rugged & harsh environments. Much better than SLA or other lithium’s. -20'F min, +120'F max optimal environmental operating temps

I sent them a message asking if that means you can charge down to -20F. If so, they must be LiFeYPO chemistry. (I asked them about this as well)
I also asked them about storage temperatures.

We've got a member with first-hand experience with Dakota Lithium and it's not a good story. Please see the following short thread for details:

I went with Amped outdoors LiFePo 55ah battery. They specialize in angling and ice fishing sportsmen.
I can say the customer service was excellent with Matt and any issues were addressed quickly. Been using the 55ah LiFePo daily down to 60% (35% on cloudy days) SOC with zero issues since August.
They can be used in series also.

From another thread...

I purchased a couple of the 10ah batteries from them last year for applications were I was tired if replacing AGM batteries. One of them went into a old cyberpower 1000va UPS, the other at the moment I can't remember where it is - but the fact that it has been trouble free and I cant remember where is probably not a bad sign. They are are on SLA chargers so that is clearly not optimal but I was really during it more as an experiment.

I ordered them both off Amazon and as expected they arrived very quickly.

I did not have a good setup to really to any meaningful tests but wish I had passed to get setup to do so.

Regards,

Uisge

I went with Amped outdoors LiFePo 55ah battery. They specialize in angling and ice fishing sportsmen.
I can say the customer service was excellent with Matt and any issues were addressed quickly. Been using the 55ah LiFePo daily down to 60% (35% on cloudy days) SOC with zero issues since August.
They can be used in series also.
These look really promising!

I see on their website they say "All Amped Outdoors Batteries should be charged with one of our offered LiFePO4 chargers for best results. SLA and other lithium chargers may not fully charge a LiFePO4 battery with BMS, or can give false charge indications." I assume a good MPPT charge controller can handle these no problem?

These look really promising!

I see on their website they say "All Amped Outdoors Batteries should be charged with one of our offered LiFePO4 chargers for best results. SLA and other lithium chargers may not fully charge a LiFePO4 battery with BMS, or can give false charge indications." I assume a good MPPT charge controller can handle these no problem?
Even a PWM with the right charge profile works fine. I’ve been using the Amped Outdoors 30Ah in a portable build for a little while now and have been very pleased.

Some other recent feedback:

Even a PWM with the right charge profile works fine. I’ve been using the Amped Outdoors 30Ah in a portable build for a little while now and have been very pleased.

Some other recent feedback:

Good to know, thanks @Bob142! I'm gonna buy one. I guess buying their quick charger is probably a waste of 45 bucks, but it might be nice to have ready power for camping trips etc. while I'm researching and designing my first ever solar setup. Super psyched to find Will's incredible tutorials and this community!

I bought the charger for those cloudy days plugged into the genny. Great little 10a smart charger and mine came with Anderson connecters. ?
BTW my first charger was acting up and Matt replaced it fast.

Back