diy solar

diy solar

DALY 100A BMS with 7 awg wires?

Joergen

Am I completely off here.
I'm building a 12v battery for my caravan on 4 LifePO4 cells of 230AH.
For this I bought a 100A BMS from DALY to be able to drive a 1kw inverter.
However - having received it, i happily hooked it up and everything seems to work as expected - i can wonder why the app requires GPS to be activated to use bluetooth, but that aside.
When dimensioning the cables from battery to inverter I realize that I need at least 25mm2 cable (4 awg) to handle 100A in well ventilated surroundings.
And then I realize that the cables coming out if the BMS is 7Awg. That's good for up to approx 30a.

So - am I off here, when I say "no way I'm building that into a closed box along with my battery cells" ?

Jørgen - battery diy newbie

the cables coming out if the BMS is 7Awg. That's good for up to approx 30a
The temperature rating and composition of the ‘cables’ is probably selected appropriately. Wires when short/close have a different running environment rating, too.
Though I’ve observed even manufactured batteries with their small cables and wondered the same things.

Here's what my favorite wire gauge calculator came up with using your numbers. While it doesn't list 7 gauge cable, it would still be under the 3% voltage drop that we try to stay under.

1685629558497.png

There is a forum member here that says any Daly BMS should be limited to 50% of the rated power. It's not a high quality BMS.

Back