diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS (@+150A range) still thrust worthy??

Frank in Thailand

making mistakes so you don't have to...
Lately I've been getting negative news about Daly BMS, higher capacity ones.

150-250A units.
They stop working after a few days or months.

Daly is in my experience good with warranty, but I still lost 30 USD for sending the defective product back.

Purchase price I got refund via PayPal, who also like to eats its share..

Is Daly still reliable?
Or was it ever reliable at higher Amperage??

I think best way at +100A is to use contactors like Chargery or DIYBMS, and not hope the mosfets are able to switch this high current.

I know 3 dead in 5 weeks.
One normal, 2 smarts...

And that is without looking :-(

Almost always it ends up costing twice (often more) as much buying the cheap crap, then there is the risk of fire, incorrect/inaccurate readings and wasted time spent.
The Daly may be cheap crap but the are not as inexpensive as they used to be.

I use a non-bluetooth cheap ($20) BMS I bought on Amazon together with an external contactor (100 amp) and pack is working just fine.
Shuts charge off at 14,2v and discharge at 11,6v. Overcurrent protection is an inline fuse. I like the KISS principle ;)

Last edited:
The cheap breakers have nothing to do with Daly.
Reason why those breakers fail is the lack of a good ark (DC spark) defuser, or used outside specifications (12v only)

This is NOT a thread about China Crap (all the LiFePO4 cells people buy from China are the same "Crap", if China automatically stands for Crap)

Daly is not "cheap", it's one of the most expensive China BMS factory.
It have for a long long time the name to build high quality BMS.

Obviously, it doesn't come close to Batrium, a solution that would cost me $1.200,- for 51.2v (S16) +250A high current setup.

I'm sure that the light Daly BMS are still good, +100A needs different approach.
At high current most mosfet solutions are weak, including SSR.
They get absurd hot and need huge ass heatsinks to keep them function.
Good designed Mosfet based SSR (solid state relay) doesn't have to get hot, or be weak solution.
Sadly 98% of the SSR aren't.
Price of components have a lot to do with it.
A good one would cost way over 100 USD for 300A.

My +50 kWh array S16@ 1016Ah is larger then most installations, but getting more common with the lower LiFePO4 and solar panel price.
10.000 W inverters is also not standard for off grid.
Normal available power for on grid homes is minimal 10.000 W.
(I use 3*3.2kw in parallel)
+250A might be seen for some people as "absurd high", buy why would off grid be a huge compromise?

I found that the Daly is not a good solution at the higher current range.
Too high failure rate.

I'm curious to know if more people have the same experience!!
Or did I and the people I know who bought higher current Daly BMS just had a stroke of bad luck?

Last edited:
"Off-Grid Garage" on YouTube bought a QUCC BMS. They look promising. After getting a Daly 200A model and seeing things I don't like, and reading the complaints that others have, I think Daly has left the door open for other brands.

@downshifter you have the link to the video?
No, and Off-Grid Garage doesn't review the QUCC. In fact it wasn't installed it yet, just showed it on the bench. OGG said that it was high quality, although maybe he's just going by the AliExpress page. Google QUCC BMS, that's how I found it.

Back