diy solar

diy solar

Daly / Solis integration ?

sijones2010

Solar Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've got a Solis Hybrid inverter (6kw), and some LifePO4 16x3.2v 200AH batteries with a Daly Smart BMS.

I thought I could run the Solis without a BMS connection but it doesn't look like it will have it, the only way i've managed to get it working was with a Lead Acid profile and then the voltages don't work out good and batteries aren't charging full.

I tried Daly Can -> Solis Can but no luck, doesn't communicate.

I have setup a venus os (Victron) on a raspberry pi, installed a serial bms driver and got the details from the Daly, but I can't work out if i can use this to add the inverter over can and be able to send the bms data to it - i don't know the product and was just experimenting.

I've seen someone else say they've coded something that does direct Daly to Solis, but i can't see there code anywhere to be able use.

So, anyone know if the Venus would act as a translator and am on the right line - I like this idea as it seems to have MQTT and thinking this will allow more possibilities, or do i need to do the Daly -> Solis method and get the code?

Regards,

Did you solve this issue?

I thought the way was to use the custom settings and set the charge voltages for the battery in the solis. BMS then operates only as a battery safety cut off.

I am about to go down the same route with 560ah at 48v and the same inverter. Presume you are in the UK?

Hi, i do have it resolved in a way, but am using a software solution, i connected the solis and daly to a M5Stack Core with some code running on it, am still getting the code to run better but am getting there.

I've also implemented mqtt in the code so it's sending the battery state, voltages and currents etc so i can monitor it in Home Assistant or anything else, I want to implement a receive over mqtt so i can override the charging and use cheap electric to charge when the forecast is cloudy etc, haven't got to that yet tho.

Nicely done then. I am just looking at seplos now as that is designed to work out of the bag with solis.

How are you finding it? Is the solis doing ok? How does your battery look? Is it outside? What is your usage like, are you charging with octopus go?

Sorry for the delay, been hectic.

I've got some code and rewritten it to fit my way of working, it runs on an m5stack but to be honest the system works but not great, the Daly BMS doesn't seem to track the charge current very well, so when the batteries are at 10% and the inverter kicks in at 9% to give them a top up but it's like the inverter charges to 11% but Daly only sees 10%, so over a period of time the batteries are fuller than what the Daly says and therefore gets messy.

I need to work try and do something about it but to be honest am thinking about getting rid and change to the JKBMS.

Sorry for the delay, been hectic.

I've got some code and rewritten it to fit my way of working, it runs on an m5stack but to be honest the system works but not great, the Daly BMS doesn't seem to track the charge current very well, so when the batteries are at 10% and the inverter kicks in at 9% to give them a top up but it's like the inverter charges to 11% but Daly only sees 10%, so over a period of time the batteries are fuller than what the Daly says and therefore gets messy.

I need to work try and do something about it but to be honest am thinking about getting rid and change to the JKBMS

Did you ever get this working with the JK BMS?

Attached You will find my DALY Smart BMS --> M5 Stack Converter --> SOLIS RHI 5G Software. It has been working for more than a year and a lot of people have built their DIY LiFepo4 battery with the DALY Smart BMS and SOLIS RHI with this M5Stack Converter.

Attachments

• M5Stack_DALY_SOLIS_Converter_24.zip
    869.2 KB · Views: 76
Attached You will find my DALY Smart BMS --> M5 Stack Converter --> SOLIS RHI 5G Software. It has been working for more than a year and a lot of people have built their DIY LiFepo4 battery with the DALY Smart BMS and SOLIS RHI with this M5Stack Converter.
Any Manual or tutorial to use it?

Thanks!

Open the file main.cpp with a text editor. Everything is described directly in the file. The source code is well documented, but only in german...

But with this translator you can easily translate the text:

Open the file main.cpp with a text editor. Everything is described directly in the file. The source code is well documented, but only in german...

But with this translator you can easily translate the text:
Hello again, Is there some Youtube video or something to follow easier?

Is there something like this for SAJ H1 Inverter?

Thanks!

No. It's very simple... Plug and play. But you must be able to program the M5Stack (Arduino/ESP32). I wrote it for the SOLIS RHI 5G but it should work with any inverter that understands the Pylontech protocol. But I can not test this. I only have the SOLIS Hybrid inverter.

You need to at least know how to load a program onto the M5Stack. There is a lot of YouToube video to show this. I recommend the Visual Studio Code with the PlatformIO extension (both freeware). This is the easiest way.

No. It's very simple... Plug and play. But you must be able to program the M5Stack (Arduino/ESP32). I wrote it for the SOLIS RHI 5G but it should work with any inverter that understands the Pylontech protocol. But I can not test this. I only have the SOLIS Hybrid inverter.

You need to at least know how to load a program onto the M5Stack. There is a lot of YouToube video to show this. I recommend the Visual Studio Code with the PlatformIO extension (both freeware). This is the easiest way.
The problem is that I don't see in those documents, how to do connections with the cables and how to setup everything (Daly with M5Stack) physically. There is some screens or can you upload some images how have you setup it all the hardware?

Thanks !

The hardware is very easy to install. The M5Stack COMMU module is required. There is a CAN port and an RS485 port if you want to connect to the DALY Smart BMS. Connect the RS485 to the DALY RS485 (RX--> TX, TX --> RX) and the CAN-L --> CAN-L, CAN-H --> CAN-H to SOLIS. That's it. The rest is simply uploading and running the M5stack program. For the RS485 Port You have to change the COM1 Port in the Software to COM2 Port.

If you want to use the COM port of the DALY Smart BMS, you will also need an M5Stack Proto Board. The reason for this is that the DALY has 5 volts TLL and the M5Stack only has 3.3 volts. On the Proto Board there is only a voltage limiter for safety reasons and the connection to the COM1 port of the M5Stack. But all pictures are in the project folder 2.4.

For the function it is important that the capacity AH in the DALY BMS is set to the correct value of your battery. Only if this is correct, the SOC % of DALY is also correct.

COMMU Module

1658343700544.png

PROTO Board if You want to use UART of the DALY Smart BMS.

1658343776567.png

This is the circuit diagram for the limiter. On the left is the DALY COM port, on the right is the PROTO port (white connector in the picture above).

1658343839911.png

Hello again, thanks for that explanation.
I should buy 4 M5Stack with my setup?
See attached pictures :

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220722_120803.jpg
    20220722_120803.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220722_120813.jpg
    20220722_120813.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 29
Hmm... Each BMS needs its own controller because no ID can be assigned in the BMS. But you can connect only one controller to the SOLSI Hybrid. What kind of cells do you have in the box? Are they prismatic cells? Maybe you need to rework your project if you want to achieve a reasonable controlling....

Back