diy solar

diy solar

Darfon Gro Watt GBLI 5001 Battery Pack- worth a punt?

I bought two of these Daly Li-ion 80A with bluetooth https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203580191853?var=503984650701

I already use Daly BMSs in my camper for my DIY LiFePO4 packs, so knew what to expect. Though i am curious to see how the SEPLOS BMS fairs in comparison! One of the biggest draws to the SEPLOS is the native communication compatibility with the Growatt inverters.
That's great please tell us more about the seplos native communication bit

OMG IT WORKS !!! well , I say that, It's not red anymore , when I turned it on it went GREEN for a while , now it's just flashing green once every few seconds , is that normal operation ?

OMG IT WORKS !!! well , I say that, It's not red anymore , when I turned it on it went GREEN for a while , now it's just flashing green once every few seconds , is that normal operation ?
Not red certainly sounds like a positive outcome! :D

Only way to tell if it will work correctly is by plugging it into the SP2000 (power and comms) and see if it reports an error or if it shows the correct information such as voltage and SOC :)

Do you have an inverter?

That's great please tell us more about the seplos native communication bit
I cant say i know a huge amount about it unfortunately as i dont have one, but from what i have read online and by what the manufacturer says themselves, their BMS can talk natively to Growatt inverters, but only the modern ones such as Growatt SPF and SPH series, so wouldnt be any good for the SP2000/3000 series anyway as far as i can tell.

Reactions: Tad
Sounds like good news try turning the battery on on and off at different times of the day I think flashing green means low battery voltage

Not red certainly sounds like a positive outcome! :D

Only way to tell if it will work correctly is by plugging it into the SP2000 (power and comms) and see if it reports an error or if it shows the correct information such as voltage and SOC :)

Do you have an inverter?
I've got an existing inverter with 2 x 1.5kw strings , both pretty much identical, one gets a tiny bit of shade later in the afternoon, but they both point the same way and have same number of panels on each. I've connected one of the strings to one of the sp2000 inputs, and fed the output from the sp2000 back into the inverter. Now the SP2000 starts up , doesn't report any BMS faults , correctly reports the battery voltage, but it says 'Standby...." at the top as if it's waiting for something. The battery flashes green every few seconds for a few minutes , then it starts quickly flashing red and turns itself off. As soon as this happens the SP2000 says "bms comms fault" ... i turn the battery back on, and it seems to communicate ok , text changes back to "Standby..." and the cycle begins again. Meanwhile , it's cycling through displaying different values and it says VPV = 2V , when I know it more like 200V .....PPV = 1.8W , when I know it was more like 180W (late in the afternoon). So I'm a bit stuck now wondering if the SP-2000 is knackered. EDIT: I don't know whether it was the cleaning , or the balancing that sorted the battery out. It only took a few hours with them all wired in parallel to get every strings voltage to 3.13 +/- 0.01.

I've got an existing inverter with 2 x 1.5kw strings , both pretty much identical, one gets a tiny bit of shade later in the afternoon, but they both point the same way and have same number of panels on each. I've connected one of the strings to one of the sp2000 inputs, and fed the output from the sp2000 back into the inverter. Now the SP2000 starts up , doesn't report any BMS faults , correctly reports the battery voltage, but it says 'Standby...." at the top as if it's waiting for something. The battery flashes green every few seconds for a few minutes , then it starts quickly flashing red and turns itself off. As soon as this happens the SP2000 says "bms comms fault" ... i turn the battery back on, and it seems to communicate ok , text changes back to "Standby..." and the cycle begins again. Meanwhile , it's cycling through displaying different values and it says VPV = 2V , when I know it more like 200V .....PPV = 1.8W , when I know it was more like 180W (late in the afternoon). So I'm a bit stuck now wondering if the SP-2000 is knackered. EDIT: I don't know whether it was the cleaning , or the balancing that sorted the battery out. It only took a few hours with them all wired in parallel to get every strings voltage to 3.13 +/- 0.01.
Yeah that does sound like a lower than normal working voltage
I sent you the the software if you use it just a point to note make sure that the two small switches in red next to the rs232 port are switched to off ie switches away from the numbers 1 and 2 these are if you have the Wi-Fi dongle connected

There’s a multitude of great advice and ideas on here. well done everyone! Well done Paulca on your purchase, I saw the same eBay listing. I asked VillageBag (the seller) a while ago for a bit more info about it, but I didn't hear back. I was actually after the SP2000 really - I didn't bid on it. Strangely that same listing was on eBay a few weeks ago. The bids closed at about £920. Then a week later it was relisted with exactly the same photos. Paulca, even if you can't get the red light to change or get the BMS to play ball, then 3rd party BMSs will do just as good a job at managing the cells if they are electrically ok of course, 3.1v should be ok. I was concerned about the red light that was mentioned in that listing and I didn't think it was just a 'flat' battery. Also I didn't fancy a trip to Lancashire to pick it up!

I broke my SP2000 (possibly GBLI5001 too) after I didn't follow the shutdown, startup procedure properly. Always follow the the proper sequence in the manual and never connect or disconnect anything whilst under load!

I bought the other SP2000 that was on eBay at the same time as the one Paulca won. Hopefully it will arrive this week (seller said they'll post it). My GBLI5001 has a green light, but I can't get any sense out of the BMS. So the red/green light system for error reporting seems a bit arbitrary. My current broken SP2000 reports 'Battery Open' too. Anyway, I will learn more after I plug the other SP2000 in after it arrives. If the battery needs a new 3rd party BMS I'll look forward to installing that. Josh, Tad, MikeHug and others have inspired me not to give up on it! But the SP2000 is clunky and slow, seriously who came up with that daft knock knock joke - what's wrong with buttons for goodness sake? I think I would rather get an all-in-one inverter charger hybrid unit (must be grid tied), but I need to know the battery works ok first. Not sure which hybrid unit would fit my needs the most.

I did manage to charge my cells up to nominal 3.7v in the GBLI5001 using an ebike 14s charger (as they were a bit flat when I broke the SP2000). That might be an option Paulca if you need to raise their voltage. As far as I can tell my BMS is still balancing packs passively, as all voltages seem close enough. Good luck tinkering everyone.

Oh I was going ask, what do people run the ShineBus software on - Windows XP, 7,... 32/64bit? And do you use WiFi dongle, serial adapter, lan cable? I haven't had much luck with the software. I need to spend some more time getting that to run properly.

There’s a multitude of great advice and ideas on here. well done everyone! Well done Paulca on your purchase, I saw the same eBay listing. I asked VillageBag (the seller) a while ago for a bit more info about it, but I didn't hear back. I was actually after the SP2000 really - I didn't bid on it. Strangely that same listing was on eBay a few weeks ago. The bids closed at about £920. Then a week later it was relisted with exactly the same photos. Paulca, even if you can't get the red light to change or get the BMS to play ball, then 3rd party BMSs will do just as good a job at managing the cells if they are electrically ok of course, 3.1v should be ok. I was concerned about the red light that was mentioned in that listing and I didn't think it was just a 'flat' battery. Also I didn't fancy a trip to Lancashire to pick it up!

I broke my SP2000 (possibly GBLI5001 too) after I didn't follow the shutdown, startup procedure properly. Always follow the the proper sequence in the manual and never connect or disconnect anything whilst under load!

I bought the other SP2000 that was on eBay at the same time as the one Paulca won. Hopefully it will arrive this week (seller said they'll post it). My GBLI5001 has a green light, but I can't get any sense out of the BMS. So the red/green light system for error reporting seems a bit arbitrary. My current broken SP2000 reports 'Battery Open' too. Anyway, I will learn more after I plug the other SP2000 in after it arrives. If the battery needs a new 3rd party BMS I'll look forward to installing that. Josh, Tad, MikeHug and others have inspired me not to give up on it! But the SP2000 is clunky and slow, seriously who came up with that daft knock knock joke - what's wrong with buttons for goodness sake? I think I would rather get an all-in-one inverter charger hybrid unit (must be grid tied), but I need to know the battery works ok first. Not sure which hybrid unit would fit my needs the most.

I did manage to charge my cells up to nominal 3.7v in the GBLI5001 using an ebike 14s charger (as they were a bit flat when I broke the SP2000). That might be an option Paulca if you need to raise their voltage. As far as I can tell my BMS is still balancing packs passively, as all voltages seem close enough. Good luck tinkering everyone.

Oh I was going ask, what do people run the ShineBus software on - Windows XP, 7,... 32/64bit? And do you use WiFi dongle, serial adapter, lan cable? I haven't had much luck with the software. I need to spend some more time getting that to run properly.
I actually just moved over from my Growatt SP2000 to a Growatt SPH3600 which is an all in one grid tied unit, so far has been much better! More flexibility, options and connectivity, only time will tell how it gets on though!

As such i actually have my SP2000 in full working order and currently configured for lead-acid that i will be listing on ebay/here.

Fingers crossed the replacement SP2000 solves your problem! If not keep an eye out for something from the SPH range as this should in theory also work natively with the Growatt GBLI5001 pack if your original BMS is still good!

As for the ShineBus software, what a horrible piece of software that is, haha! I have used it for my SP2000 on a Windows 10 64 bit machine i have in the garage over a generic USB to RS232, has "just worked" for me so long as you know how to deal with the cryptic software!

Hi Timrees , what are the symptoms of the broken SP2000 ? I think they might have uninstalled my one under load as it's reporting PV voltage as 2v . I'm in a dilemma now as I've put a days labour into getting the battery green , so don't want to return that , but I think the SP2000 if goosed. Interesting about the auction happening twice, was it the same seller for both (villagebag) ? If so , he must have known it was kaput before advertising it , so claiming the inverter was fine and the battery just needed charging was a bit naughty.

Last edited:
Mine was working with the usb to rs232 on windows 7. Although I tried to change the discharge times the other day and it made no difference to the behaviour even though I also read them back from the unit as well.

I would be interested to know people's thoughts on the power limit of solar panels I can add to my system. My understanding is that the sp2000 can have a maximum of 6kw fed into it. My inverter can have a maximum of 5kw. My solar panels are 3.24kw (8*405w) and so far I have seen a maximum of just under 3.1kw reported. My question is does this mean I have already hit the maximum number of panels I can have in this system? My thoughts are, if the house load was high enough with solar producing 3.1kw and then the sp2000 force discharging at 2kw, gives 5.1kw meaning I am already above what the inverter can handle... Could that damage it?

Oh nice work! The ideal set up is clearly to get the original GBLI5001 BMS working as it was designed and paired with the SP2000! That was my initial plan when i got my first Growatt battery, but even after i charged and balance all cells, the BMS still wouldnt play ball.

Now i have two batteries and am just converting them to use Daly BMS's, then set up the SP2000 as LEAD...not ideal, but a damn sight cheaper than alternative options!

With your mention of only being able to discharge 50% when the SP20000 is configured for LEAD, this is 50% of the capacity based only on the battery voltage the SP2000 reports as there is no formal communication between SP2000 and battery.

This would mean that "50%" of a lead acid battery would be a rough voltage of 48.2v (based on 4 x 12v batteries at 12.07v each at 50%) which when compared to the typical voltage curve of a lithium ion battery would equal roughly an 80% discharge (48.2v total devided by 14 cell packs = 3.44 per cell).

View attachment 110599

I appreciate there is more to the science than what i mention above and it should all be taken with a pinch of salt, just my two cents.

More information about the cells used within the GBLI5001 batteries can be found here https://www.tme.com/Document/87b5645f730e56cad507df13706ef5b9/Swing5300.pdf
Great point Josh , so the 50% DOD issue isn't really an issue at all ! So do you still get 4.8kwh out of a single discharge then with a 3rd party BMS ? I was steering away from replacing the BMS as I was thinking I'd only get 2.4kwh out of it each night. 1663583350285.png
Ah , but does this mean it won't charge it fully ?

Last edited:
Josh - The SPH range looks like it'll fit the bill as a future replacement for the SP2000. I noticed they do higher wattage versions too. I've got the software working and connecting too. Win764bit ShineBusPlusII with serial-to-usb cable just like the one Paulca has ordered. Drivers were necessary (CH340 Drivers). Thanks Jad/Josh. I had it read a few settings, but yes, the write options are just cryptic. This pdf has a bit of info.
https://zerohomebills.com/wp-content/uploads/Training-Material-Sp2000-Controller.pdf
and this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izqtyv2u5...d Discharge Together with PV string power.pdf

Paulca - My current SP2000 does switch on, but it doesn't pass any voltage/current through the input output connectors. A voltmeter definitely says there's voltage going in, but nothing goes through back to my inverter. Also the lights on the front of the SP2000 now only ever show electric flowing to or from the grid (so I know it's listening to the CT clamp!) Where as before (when it wasn't broken) the lights would flow all over the place depending upon it state. I had 1 string of PV panels connected (2kw). I have 2 strings; same happens whichever I plug in. The Status light on the SP2000 is now constantly red (it was always green before it broke). Error messages say randomly say either: Battery Open, Bat Voltage Low, BMS Error 256 (256 is not in the manual!) or PV Shortcircuit (I checked the +- is correct). There is a relatively easy to replace fuse inside the SP2000 (on left hand side after you take the front cover off). My fuse was fine but it might be worth check if there's only 2v going through yours.

Yes it was the same seller Villagebag both times, same pics too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225128875683 Yes, advertising something as working when they can't be 100% sure is not on. They should have been clearer and sold it on parts only basis. Keep persevering for a while, the batteries should be good. And you could tell them what you've discovered after testing.

Jad - there will be a limit to what the inverter is rated for. My inverter, older Hosola one, is rated at 4kw. My panels are 4kw too. On a perfect sunny day with sun exactly the right angle I have been known to get 4.2kw out of them. Then my inverter throws a warning (Overvoltage) and shuts down. Then restarts itself a bit later on. So hopefully on yours there will be a safety cut off too. Max discharge I managed out of the SP2000 (when it was working) was just over 1.9kw (measured by the SP2000 itself).

What does yours say on the Vpv/Vac screen ? I just read the below section in the manual
and it seems to indicate that Vpv is in hundreds of volts , in which case 2 would be correct as my string is at 297 V ?
1663593695314.png 1663593579077.png

bugger.... oh well , thanks for looking, I've also got the "PV short circuit" message now, i've noticed if the panels are producing a lot like now that string is kicking out 1200W , I get PV short circuit , but if it's overcast and they're only producing 200W , it doesn't do that. it did work for a small time before giving the short circuit message at 1200W , but the SP2000 was saying Vpv 2V , Ppv 11.8W ..... as if it's exactly 100 times less than it should be.

Been reading the setup guide ( thanks Tad) it says once you get the RS232 going you need to set Voc and Vmppt.... so.... what if the installation it came from had like humongous strings at 550V and the Vmppt is like 500V, so the circuitry is adjusting the internal resistance to try and get V up to 500V, which is impossible on my string, and it's get to the point where R is so low it thinks it's short circuit ? ?

Mine was working with the usb to rs232 on windows 7. Although I tried to change the discharge times the other day and it made no difference to the behaviour even though I also read them back from the unit as well.

I would be interested to know people's thoughts on the power limit of solar panels I can add to my system. My understanding is that the sp2000 can have a maximum of 6kw fed into it. My inverter can have a maximum of 5kw. My solar panels are 3.24kw (8*405w) and so far I have seen a maximum of just under 3.1kw reported. My question is does this mean I have already hit the maximum number of panels I can have in this system? My thoughts are, if the house load was high enough with solar producing 3.1kw and then the sp2000 force discharging at 2kw, gives 5.1kw meaning I am already above what the inverter can handle... Could that damage it?
Hi m not sure and wouldn't risk it personally - to bigger power variation there but then forced discharge is what it says so there must be some kind of circuitry for it .. also you could risk damaging the sp2000 as all the power is initially flowing through it and then yourseparate inverter

Been reading the setup guide ( thanks Tad) it says once you get the RS232 going you need to set Voc and Vmppt.... so.... what if the installation it came from had like humongous strings at 550V and the Vmppt is like 500V, so the circuitry is adjusting the internal resistance to try and get V up to 500V, which is impossible on my string, and it's get to the point where R is so low it thinks it's short circuit ? ?
It does sound like it is knackered have you tried to just unplug it and leave it for a while just to reset it, stating the obvious really but don't know what else to say

Timrees hi yes the knock knock issue is hilarious I found and it works well with a rhythm similar to Laurel and Hardy music
D...DD...D..DD lol ... You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do to get to the menus ?
Apart from that yes I use Windows 7 64 bit

Hi Everyone

I've been building a large pack out of 5 growatt batteries, I have reconfigured all the batteries to 5 in Parallel and 14 in Series, I've connected it to a Seplos BMS, I've got this connected to a Solis 5G Inverter the CAN communication is Working.

Issue I'm facing is that the BMS is Showing no Pack Voltage on the screen but I have voltage when testing with a multimeter, I am waiting the cable to connect to the PC, Is this normal till you settup bms on the computer?

Also if anyone notices anything incorrect please let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220919_211800.jpg
    20220919_211800.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220919_211812.jpg
    20220919_211812.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220919_211822.jpg
    20220919_211822.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 29
Hi Everyone

I've been building a large pack out of 5 growatt batteries, I have reconfigured all the batteries to 5 in Parallel and 14 in Series, I've connected it to a Seplos BMS, I've got this connected to a Solis 5G Inverter the CAN communication is Working.

Issue I'm facing is that the BMS is Showing no Pack Voltage on the screen but I have voltage when testing with a multimeter, I am waiting the cable to connect to the PC, Is this normal till you settup bms on the computer?

Also if anyone notices anything incorrect please let me know.

Thanks
I'm pretty new to this, but from my limited knowledge for a 5p set up aren't the packs on the end of each row meant to be connected in parallel to the 3 packs in the middle ? looks like -ve terminal closest to the camera isn't hooked up to the -ve's on the 3 middle packs ? Or have I misunderstood how it's meant to work... I think as it is you've got 3 in parallel, followed by 2 in series, followed by 3 in parallel ??1663625496775.png

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back