diy solar

diy solar

DC and AC wiring

schmism

Solar Addict
How are you other DIY'rs keeping your DC and AC wire runs separate?

Are you running in different conduit? Are you running conduit in your house? (labled?) are you useing diffrent color wires for DC? (red is often second phase for 220v ac wiring) If your useing diffrent colors what are you useing? The wireing on the PV array is uv stable red/black. I was considering moving to "odd" colored THHN once in conduit/house for the DC.

Our local code requires DC high voltage be in metal conduit and labeled. I use red and black and have never had an inspector comment or actually look in a junction box.

PELV circuits (voltages under 30 VAC or 60 VDC) are deemed to not provide a shock hazard and to retain this designation, they need to be protected from normal low voltage wiring by either galvanic isolation or double insulation.

I am using a galvanically isolated inverter/charger and all AC wiring in my RV will be done using stranded MC wiring. All DC wiring will be done using 300V rated stranded wire.

It’s been a while since I read it in NEC but I believe AC and DC can be in the same raceway so as the insulation on both exceed the the voltage of the higher.

I think that's correct, if insulation is sufficient then DC and AC could be in same conduit.
Which isn't to say data cable like CAT-5 should be there. I think such things may be OK with physical separation in raceways, like those racks which look like ladders running along the ceiling, but not in same conduit.

My system is all rigid (or IMC), separate for AC and DC. (AC wiring inside the house is Romex run through holes in studs or stabled to wood in basement. Some other cities with more rodent problems require conduit.)

Mixing DC and AC wiring is permitted, but you have to meet double insulated requirements. Loose wiring can be in shrink tubing, or you can use jacketed cables.

Back