diy solar

diy solar

DC fuse caught fire! Help ?

Because you were contradicting yourself...but I'm moving on.
The difference between you can open it and doing it are not contradicting.

They are a result are you not bothering to learn what it is you are doing.

Let’s just ban it because People don’t want to be responsible for their own actions.

I think chess-equality didnt understand what you meant, that you can close the fuse ... if you want (... to get a spectacular arc ) .

It was spectacular but I dont want to see it again... What is the maximum voltage that you can connect mc4 without problem during daylight ? Will is connecting mc4 during daylight in that video ( like 250v ? )

I saw other guys connect high voltage arrays to batteryless systems , or use a circuit breaker during daylight. What about that?
Thanks

I think chess-equality didnt understand what you meant, that you can close the fuse ... if you want (... to get a spectacular arc ) .

It was spectacular but I dont want to see it again... What is the maximum voltage that you can connect mc4 without problem during daylight ? Will is connecting mc4 during daylight in that video ( like 250v ? )

I saw other guys connect high voltage arrays to batteryless systems , or use a circuit breaker during daylight. What about that?
Thanks
Whenever possible you should avoid connecting things under load. Yes it does need to be done on occasion but it stresses things.

Well I really did say that it's the first time I've seen that type...

Also "operate" might mean differently than "open/close"; it's just my opinion that it should be banned as there is a possibility of harm, as in the case here. Also I never said that I will use such a fuse; nor open/close it under load.

Thanks
Higher voltage DC with low amperage usually doesn’t produce much of a arc. Contacts need to be nearly touching before anything will pass. During disconnect is where you can get a sustained log arc that will melt contact points.

It's not a voltage issue per se. It's an amperage issue. Amps happen when there is work being done, like charging batteries or running loads. Or what appears to be your case, charging the inverter capacitors.

So you can plug/unplug them as long as there is no load on your system. When installing your solar array and wiring solar panels in series is fine as long there is no load on the system.

Keep in mind you have nearly the full Voc but almost no amps of your array available at the first hint of sunlight. That could be ~30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. PV doesn't need direct sunlight so my policy is that the only safe time to work on wiring that I can't first disconnect with an DC load rated device like a breaker or knife blade is night time.

Last edited:
Keep in mind you have nearly the full Voc but almost no amps of your array available at the first hint of sunlight. That could be ~30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. PV doesn't need direct sunlight so my policy is that the only safe time to work on wiring that I can't first disconnect with an DC load rated device like a breaker or knife blade is night time.

Yes, high voltage and potentially lethal current. My PV strings are ~ 480Voc in full sun, 380Vmp. A string in the shade still produces around 380Voc (which is why paralleling strings of different orientation doesn't need anti-backfeed diodes, doesn't pull down the string which is producing power.)

I shut off DC with disconnect switch (preferable to shut off SCC/inverter first, avoid deterioration of DC switch, so I turn off AC breaker of my GT PV inverter as recommended by SMA.) Then I unplug MC cables at array, and verify zero volts on wires before working on them.

Without a disconnect, if PV panels are covered or not in direct sun, I think that should drop current so low that unmating MC connectors could be done without pulling an arc. (Not a DC load rated disconnect, but OK to open near zero current.)

The MC connectors, and the fuse holders OP has, are touch-safe meaning no exposed electrical contacts so safe to operate with high voltage present (just no current.) The MC4 fuse holders available for connecting in-line with wiring are NOT, should be disconnected at both MC4 connectors before opening to access fuse.

I am a bit puzzled by this.

Thank you all for your replies , I will check again

Hi so I did as you said,

My PV panels now produce 330V~ open circuit at full sun .

I only have connected the fuses on the inverter's PV inputs .

I measured the voltage on the inverter's PV input ( with no battery or PV panels, just the inverter with fuses on the PV inputs ) and it shows 0v both directly and before/after fuse. I do the diode test on the PV inputs + - and its 0.4V one way , 0v the other way, both directly on the inverters inputs and the fuses outputs.

0.4V is the expected reading when applying polarity that would conduct through the diode; diode clamps voltage to protect inverter from reverse polarity. I don't know if fuse holder and wire to inverter is exposed so you can trace it to inverter, or not. You touched inverter's input, not fuse holder?

Which inverter terminal did you put red DMM wire on when you saw 0.4V, the positive or the negative? Do that again with red DMM wire on the fuse holder you think is same (positive or negative).

If red wire is on positive fuse holder when you read 0.4V, that would see to mean fuse holders (or your understanding of which goes to positive inverter terminal) is wired backwards. If on positive terminal of inverter when you read 0.4V, I'm confused.

As for 0V, I didn't expect that. I expected "overload" or similar message. What does the DMM say if you just touch DMM leads together? What does it say if the DMM leads aren't touching anything?

(For all DMM I've used, the red test lead, plugged into positive terminal of DMM, sources positive voltage in ohms or continuity or diode-test scale. For those of us who grew up with analog meters having needles, the positive lead sourced negative voltage because they simply put a battery in series. I think DMM reverse polarity of display to be more intuitive.)

I connect the inverter with lead acid 24v , I get an arch on the batterys terminal , and it turns on , immediately, the inverter still is OFF position . I measure the voltages on PV input its 9V now, I do the diode test and its 0.4V one way , 0v the other way, both directly on the inverters inputs and the fuses outputs.

If PV input says 9V (and polarity matches your expectation) it isn't shorted. All bets are off as to what diode test shows when measuring something that sources voltage. We avoid measuring resistance of live circuits.

Then I turn the switch to ON position and the inverter 230V output kicks in. I measured the voltage on the AC OUTPUT and it says 230V so everything is working great with just the battery. Now the voltage between the PV inputs is not 9v but 20V, both on inputs directly and before/after fuse. I do the diode test and its 0.4V one way , 0v the other way, both directly on the inverters inputs and the fuses outputs.

Some of them do leak voltage onto the PV terminals, even high enough to shock. So always disconnect other sources and verify voltage has decayed low before touching.

The I measured continuity on the PV inputs and fuses and everything is OK.

Is there a test I missed ?

Here is Will showing a similar inverter . He just connects the high voltage solar panels directly during daylight with mc4 to the inverter without battery and it works.

I also ordered a Schneider circuit breaker DC 600V.

I know I could try without fuses but what if somehow the inverter is shorting the PV panels and I start fire connecting the mc4 ? The manual explicity says you should use DC switch breaker and it doesn't go much into detail why or when ( I can post a photo of the manual if you want ).

With rated breaker and not the burnt fuse holders, you can safely close and open breaker with PV attached.
With breaker closed, measure voltage across inverter PV input terminals. Observe polarity.
If it read something between 0.4V and 2.0V, I think that means it is reverse polarity. So look for that.
Some people on the forum have wired PV backwards.

But I don't get that 0V reading on diode check scale. Maybe it has to do with your particular meter.

Hi I tested again and it indeed got quickly ramped up to OL now.. And stayed at OL after that. Thats weird! What does this mean ?

I put the red DMM directly to PV input terminal + , black DMM to - , then checked fuse box input+ - and output + - and and they all said +0.4V and OL the other way.

When I touch red and black leads the DMM says 0.000, when not OL

EDIT : You said : "If PV input says 9V (and polarity matches your expectation) it isn't shorted."

Measuring the PV INPUT voltage, the polarity doesnt match its -9v when I switch on the AIO and -20V when the inverter kicks in .

So what you want to say is that if I read +0.4v on the diode test and -9v/-20v the manufacturer has the polarity inputs switched ?

And thats why I got 0v when I connect the panels to the inverter ? The inverter is protecting itself from reverse polarity ? is that possible ?

Last edited:
Interesting that the fuse holder :)Hagar) says "do not operate under load"...
Usually that is do not disconnect under load.

There are good fuses that come from Italy.

boB

So what you want to say is that if I read +0.4v on the diode test and -9v/-20v the manufacturer has the polarity inputs switched ?

And thats why I got 0v when I connect the panels to the inverter ? The inverter is protecting itself from reverse polarity ? is that possible ?

A diode clamping voltage is commonly used to protect against reverse polarity. Inverters that don't have one often get killed when wired incorrectly.
It may well be that if you simply reverse polarity of PV input, it will work. But my ideas are only worth what you pay for them! I won't be responsible if the magic smoke comes out.
Is the polarity of the +0.4V diode test consistent with the polarity of PV panel connection that seems to short out the panels?
When you do connect the panels (through breaker this time), see if you see voltage in the 0.4V to 2.0V range.

Magic smoke - it is also possible polarity labels of inverter are correct, but diode was installed backwards. Although, in that case I don't know if the voltage produced when powered is consistent or not. If diode is backwards (not protecting) and you reverse polarity of PV string, that would destroy the inverter. Are the terminals on a PCB (can't be wired wrong) or connected with wires inside the box?

Be careful, maybe take a photo, unpowered, testing diode check and inquire of manufacturer/distributor.

Is that Schneider breaker "polarized", with +/- labels? If so, make sure PV+ goes to breaker +. Double check voltage/polarity with DMM before closing breaker. (If wired backwards, when you open the breaker it might burn. Maybe not given the higher voltage rating, but it might, no reason to risk damaging it.)

If you have a loose diode available to test, see how "diode check" scale of your DMM work, confirm polarity.

20221002_195942.jpg20221002_195923.jpg

Testing with diode setting I get the results above , same before/after fuses. DC voltage , shows -9V when AIO is on and -20V when the inverter kicks in .

I don't think I have a diode handy right here but Ill check

Please swap the location of the meter leads so we’re all fallowing the same story.
I am troubled by how you got a DMM with a DC max voltage of 250 volts to read out 330 volt. It should show OL short for over load.

1664740559804.jpeg

I have another meter , which is rated up to 600V, but I also tried the other meter out of curiosity and it shows the same voltage . It has some tolerance probably.

Attachments

• 20221002_235256.jpg
    20221002_235256.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221002_235513.jpg
    20221002_235513.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221002_235227.jpg
    20221002_235227.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 18
I have another meter , which is rated up to 600V
Please read the meter user manual to learn how to use meter properly.
You have meter set to Continuity/Diode position and the Red probe on the 10A port, Black probe on the V/A/Ohm port, I am not sure what you are trying to measure using meter like that.

1664744733677.png

Am I missing something? Black lead always goes to common. Can't trust any measurements given.

wow :(

Thanks guys :(

I didnt realize I have swapped them.

So its great someone took notice , I didnt break the inverter and Im still safe :)

I will connect the panels , night and hopefully tommorow all is good!

I will post pictures tommorow

Again THANKS !

Last edited:
Red lead goes to right socket for everything except current over 200mA as noted. Then you would use the 10A socket.

I understand I am a newbie and playing with high voltages is no play but I hopefully tomorrow I will have a 3.1kw solar system for 2.3k euros and I did all myself and I learnt so much stuff through the process and thank you for helping me learn.

I understand I am a newbie thats why I use necessary protections and nothing bad happened to me. I always do the connections in good nonflameable spaces.

Worst case scenario it could bit a bit messy like I burn some inverter or a solar panel on a concrete roof... its fine.

EDIT its night now so I will connect the solar panels , they give 0.1 volts lol , lets see if the inverter can recognize them at all ?

diy solar

diy solar
Back