diy solar

diy solar

DC temperate 90.1c on Sol-Ark 12k beeping w/red light.

AmpLee

Can someone explain why my sol-ark is beeping at me after about an hour of full 9k battery power. Shouldn’t the inverter be able to handle this? My cables are properly sized. I’m unsure where exactly it’s getting this temperature reading to begin with. Any help is much appreciated.

Can someone explain why my sol-ark is beeping at me after about an hour of full 9k battery power. Shouldn’t the inverter be able to handle this? My cables are properly sized. I’m unsure where exactly it’s getting this temperature reading to begin with. Any help is much appreciated.

Either one or more of the fans quit, intake is clogged, outflow is clogged or ambient air temperature is to high.

It’s possible there is a problem with the inverter but I would check all the air flow first.

Pretty massive heat sink on those to dissipate heat.

If you have an IR thermometer I suggest you open the cabinet and check for hot spots.

Pictures of the install? Whats the ambient temp around it? Need more info
Ambient temp is 50-60F. Excuse the old picture (mid-install), things are more buttoned up now.

Attachments

• 1F41068D-14D1-4D11-9418-315E32E3C998.jpeg
    1F41068D-14D1-4D11-9418-315E32E3C998.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 27
Just as a test, I plugged in my new Tesla and started charging to try and simulate your issue. It is 65* in the garage and after 1.5 hrs, this is my results:

20230204_222238.jpg

Now granted, I do not have it at a full 9000w, but its still up there. The temp was still rising too, but it was late last night and I wanted to go to bed, so I dropped the current and temp came down immediately.

I did not have any beeps/warnings/shut downs though.

I wonder if there is a better way to keep these cool? Even 80* is a little high for my comfort zone.

SolArk 12k battery powered AC is limited to 8 kW's, 4.8kW to 120vac single phase.

Also why you are getting warning on 168.17 amps on battery current.

SolArk 12k battery powered AC is limited to 8 kW's, 4.8kW to 120vac single phase.

Also why you are getting warning on 168.17 amps on battery current.
Manual states "Continuous AC Power to Load (Off-Grid) Is 9000w. Where do you get the 8kw?

I have two running maxed out 12kW in, 185A x2 into battery on sunny days. My insulated power shed is kept at 40-70F all year around, either with open doors or Fujitsu 9K hp. Mine never exceed 80C. Check for clean fan blades, heat sinks, inlet screen and thermistor resistance.

Supplying AC by PV supplementing is different. The total power is not coming through the battery to HV DC converter which is the limiting factor when off-grid solely reliant on battery supplied power without PV supplementing.

Sol-Ark HF inverter power options.png

Last edited:
Supplying AC by PV supplementing is different. The total power is not coming through the battery to HV DC converter which is the limiting factor when off-grid solely reliant on battery supplied power without PV supplementing.
I agree it is different, but even in the spec sheet there, it states that it is capable of 12kw with PV Supplementing (hence the real reason it is called the 12k). It is capable of 9kw Inverting direct from battery source.

View attachment 133402
Where is this sourced from? Could it be outdated?

Now I'm curious and will be doing more testing when the sun goes down.

I’ve ran heat pumps, water heater and electric range after dark, 7-8000W output from battery only, with no overheating. The cooling fans energize sooner and run at higher rpm’s, but I don’t run like that for more than 30-45 minutes continuously. Mine will put 10,000W or 185A into the battery bank and 2000W into house loads. I try not to run any of this Chinese equipment more than 90%. If so, we probably need another one.

Last edited:
Going to depend on ambient temp and amount of dust collected in unit.

Obviously the software engineer did not get the info on marketing changes to spec sheet as the battery current warning is also flagged.

I agree it is different, but even in the spec sheet there, it states that it is capable of 12kw with PV Supplementing (hence the real reason it is called the 12k). It is capable of 9kw Inverting direct from battery source.
AIO have many ways to play the spec game. Yes, it can produce 12kW of PV power but not to AC output alone. Some of the 12kW of PV has to go to battery charging and some has to go to AC output to consume 12kW's of PV power.

SolArk changes their spec's sheets very often. You have to be careful of wording. Earlier spec sheet specifically stated 'from battery'. New spec sheet eliminated 'from battery' and just states 9 kW AC power to load (Off-grid). Not a flat out lie, assuming some of the 9kW's is PV supplemented power.

Now I'm curious and will be doing more testing when the sun goes down.
Did more testing. I couldn't get it to a true 9000w because of limited load. I'm just selling back to grid here, and maxed out the settings. Definitely not 8000w though.
20230206_200700.jpg

Back