diy solar

diy solar

dead battery bank start up, off grid, Schneider

chemosabe

i notice that my Schneider xw pro and mppts need to have battery power to turn on and function, so that If you have low batteries, you can't get the inverter on in the first place to charge with solar. i seem to recall that the mppt can be used as a stand alone charger when connected to panels, but if it's in the xanbus network it won't come on unless the inverter is on. anyone familiar with this system to confirm? the other start up issue is the the rapid shut down system which needs a powered "keep live" signal to turn on, and with no power you can't get it to turn on either. from my research on the RSS system, tigo needs a 12v power source to get the stay live signal going, so i can supply a separate 12v battery to boot that if needed, but how to get the Schneider system on without using the back up generator? anyone constructed/designed a way to get this done, and if possible just automatically? ie what i want is a system that will start to recharge itself if dead, from just solar input, automatically, when the sun comes out.

The MPPT needs battery power first to operate. It does not need xanbus to operate.

So, you could have the inverter shut down based on battery voltage, but let the MPPT stay on. This requires some reserve power in the battery to keep the MPPT alive.

If the battery is in a shutdown state, the MPPT will not be able to black start it afaik.

The MPPT has settings for some kind of power saving mode, to reduce it's draw when solar is unavailable, but it still needs battery power in that hibernation state in order to keep alive the circuits that detect solar becoming available.

Overall I think the conclusion should be that the system should never be designed to reach dead battery. The system can be designed to shut loads down for the low battery condition, but it should never intentionally encounter the dead battery condition.

Last edited:
If the inverter shuts down LBCO, it will restart as soon as the solar, grid or generator gets the DC above LBCO.
This assumes you have programmed standard normal settings and are wired to a normal PDP.

diy solar

diy solar
Back