diy solar

diy solar

Deciding to DIY my solar battery was one of my worst mistakes ever

Four 12s isn't ideal, I would have gone with multiple DC house/ecoworthy 48V 50Ah from eBay with 20% off coupon bringing them down to $400 each but there's a limit of two uses. They were down to $360s a few weeks ago.

I foresee a time in the future when a hobbyist's battery build will be considered as dangerous as singing in a church choir once was.

Are not those power storage batteries required to be inspected and UL listed?

Four 12s isn't ideal, I would have gone with multiple DC house/ecoworthy 48V 50Ah from eBay with 20% off coupon bringing them down to $400 each but there's a limit of two uses. They were down to $360s a few weeks ago.
It would be good to have user reports about that battery. I considered it a year ago myself.

Man, I was just planning on using no compression and laying the cells out on a HD rack (like that dewalt one). It's gonna look ugly af, but I know I am no carpenter.
There's nothing wrong with that. The only reason why I have mine somewhat compressed is because it takes up less space.

I was intimidated at first. Even as a 40 year electrician. (To many scary stories on the internet)
But I couldn't pass up on the savings, so I researched it and gained confidence.
I will never buy another pre-built battery.
My time is very valuable. But I don't normally make $500 an hour. And that's what it saves me by building my own.

If I were only going to break even. I wouldn't waste my time.
I only spend my time on 3 things.
1. Making money.
2. Saving money.
3. Personal pleasure.

Building my system (or any part of it) isn't for pleasure.
Although I do take pleasure in the fact that it's Saving me money.

If I were only going to break even. I wouldn't waste my time.
I only spend my time on 3 things.
1. Making money.
2. Saving money.
3. Personal pleasure.

Building my system (or any part of it) isn't for pleasure.
Although I do take pleasure in the fact that it's Saving me money.
The blue will give you the pleasure you seek..

I am posting this for humor and not with the intention to ridicule anyone. It is based on my own experience.

View attachment 202232
I recently completed my first battery build using nylon case CALB cells. I used a MRBF terminal fuse and corrugated plastic separators.
Do I qualify for "CHAD" status? Please note it is only a 12 volt system. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7116.JPG
    IMG_7116.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 27
I was intimidated at first. Even as a 40 year electrician. (To many scary stories on the internet)
But I couldn't pass up on the savings, so I researched it and gained confidence.
I will never buy another pre-built battery.
My time is very valuable. But I don't normally make $500 an hour. And that's what it saves me by building my own.
@timselectric I'm just curious, what size battery and how many hours are you roughly spending to build it to get that $500/hour figure? By the way, thanks again for helping me so much here on the forum.

@timselectric I'm just curious, what size battery and how many hours are you roughly spending to build it to get that $500/hour figure? By the way, thanks again for helping me so much here on the forum.
My batteries are 16 x 280ah cells. 2 hours after they show up in my driveway, they are part of my system.
Building them myself saves me $1k per battery.

I recently completed my first battery build using nylon case CALB cells. I used a MRBF terminal fuse and corrugated plastic separators.
Do I qualify for "CHAD" status? Please note it is only a 12 volt system. :)
@NIFE Like those bus bars, clean build. Aluminum?

DIY isn’t for everyone. I see some people building their own inverters / charge controllers / BMS from discrete components. That is over my head.

Assembling a battery is within my capabilities, and the savings are huge. People forget that commercially available batteries typically have a much shorter lifespan than correctly built batteries.

Back