diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro or AC300 power a tesla charger via Interlock?

davidflana

I was really bummed out to learn that the Delta Pro and the Bluetti AC300 can not charge a Tesla with their 240v outlets. I was wondering though... Would running the 240v output into my generator input to my home panel using my interlock setup allow it to work using the 240v outlets I already have installed? Basically, instead of my gas generator powering my house panel, would these units do the same job and therefore my existing 240v tesla chargers would work?

I was really bummed out to learn that the Delta Pro and the Bluetti AC300 can not charge a Tesla with their 240v outlets. I was wondering though... Would running the 240v output into my generator input to my home panel using my interlock setup allow it to work using the 240v outlets I already have installed? Basically, instead of my gas generator powering my house panel, would these units do the same job and therefore my existing 240v tesla chargers would work?
I do not think so. I suspect changing an existing 240v source to no longer go directly to a charge a car but instead go through an interlock to go through existing 240v outlets would be like just adding lots of wire and circuit breakers in between but not change the wave form, ranges, characteristics (except maybe degrade them some) and what not.

If you were to feed it into another AC inverter that outputs 240v in a way that was compatible (like maybe on the GEN input of a Sol-Ark) then maybe you could leverage that (but kind of defeats the point)...

You absolutely can charge your Tesla with Delta Pros (and I assume AC300 as well) if you are running power through an interlock. The issue is that Tesla charger checks for the presence of a neutral-ground bond as a safety feature. All power stations have floating neutrals, which causes the Tesla charger to not start. However, when you are connecting to your home electric system via an interlock (or a transfer switch), the neutral is bonded to ground at your main service panel. So the Tesla charger won't have any problems there.

I have been charging my Tesla model Y at 24 A and 240 V for several months using 2 AC 300’s and the Fusion Box Pro. Initially the Tesla gave a grounding error so I purchased 2 neutral ground bonding plugs off Amazon for $15 each and no issues since then. I am NOT an electrician so you may want to get confirmation that this is safe but it has given me several thousand miles of charge and no problems.

Back