diy solar

diy solar

Deye / Solark 8K Setup, Some photos an diagrams!

I'm glad it was a simple fix and definitely always double check!
I have 8kw of PV and peaked at 6.6kw today. I have a few hiccups with the DEYE and would like to know if that's how it should be or mines defective some how.

What hiccups?, maybe we can compare behaviour..

One thing that has bother me a little its the algorithm of fan speed, it waits to get to 50c to put the fans on turbo mode (They are loud!), until it reach around 44c and sudenly they are almost off.... since the fan speed's get too low it starts to heat again, making a cycle of not constant noise during the day.

With better control you could keep the unit at a constant temperature and less noise. I have my unit at controlled 24c, so its not at ambient temperature problem. I'm even considering bypassing the fans and putting my own speed control!.

What hiccups?, maybe we can compare behaviour..

One thing that has bother me a little its the algorithm of fan speed, it waits to get to 50c to put the fans on turbo mode (They are loud!), until it reach around 44c and sudenly they are almost off.... since the fan speed's get too low it starts to heat again, making a cycle of not constant noise during the day.

With better control you could keep the unit at a constant temperature and less noise. I have my unit at controlled 24c, so its not at ambient temperature problem. I'm even considering bypassing the fans and putting my own speed control!.
I’ve noticed that fan behavior too. My issues mainly lies around the CT sensors. I’d like to keep the system operating in limited to CT mode but I noticed at night when there’s no PV/battery it shows that the house is only using 100 watts which is not accurate. Not sure if that’s how it supposed to be.

My other issue is that I’m using my own DIY 48v 280AH pack and if I set it to battery to percentage , the CT sensors starts showing incorrect readings. I saw for DIY batteries I should use voltage mode instead but it wouldn’t changer the battery in voltage mode.

I’d love to see how yours operates in similar circumstances

Mmm i will install the CT sensors probably next week and i can tell you how they work with me.

Your issues are indeed estrange, have you talked with Deye?, what about firmware updates?

Mmm i will install the CT sensors probably next week and i can tell you how they work with me.

Your issues are indeed extrange, have you talked with Deye?, what about firmware updates?
The distributor I bought it from locally in Jamaica did the update before handing it off to me at least that what he told me. I’ll try to check and make sure it’s updated. Right now I’m running it in of grid mode and it’s working perfectly but since I don’t live in Jamaica, when I’m back in the US I rent out my house and I wouldn’t want to leave the inverter like this and some issue comes up and there’s no power to the house.

Good thing it had a diode!
The 2V was a clue to me. And sometimes it is easier being an armchair quarterback.
I recommend checking voltage and polarity with a DMM before making final connection or closing switch.

Years ago, SMA inverters were doing well and another (AES?) had a high failure rate. Probably installers connecting backwards, and only one had the diode.

Good thing it had a diode!
The 2V was a clue to me. And sometimes it is easier being an armchair quarterback.
I recommend checking voltage and polarity with a DMM before making final connection or closing switch.

Years ago, SMA inverters were doing well and another (AES?) had a high failure rate. Probably installers connecting backwards, and only one had the diode.

Yeah diodes save the day once again :).

I will make sure to double check, ive kind of learned the lesson with past mistakes but never with something this expensive, it should stick now!

Great to see this working, @mrdavvv !!

Cheers!

Just wanted to share a bad photo of the system at near 100% PV generation for my array:

1626206825279.png

Ive seen it at around 8.8Kwh, probably could produce more but my load its not big enough ;)

- Im at around 1300 - 1400 Kwh /month, with a 10.3Kw PV array (east - west)
- System has generated 3.50Mwh since the installation.
- Last utilities invoice was 5USD (Conection tax), we generated 50% more than our current consumption.

Not complains about the Deye, doing good work.

Just wanted to share a bad photo of the system at near 100% PV generation for my array:

View attachment 56144

Ive seen it at around 8.8Kwh, probably could produce more but my load its not big enough ;)

- Last utilities invoice was 5USD (Conection tax), we generated 50% more than our current consumption.

It looks like you are grid tied, and also have batteries. Is this an AC or DC system? Are the batteries high volts or normal 48v? I am looking to replace my Grid Tie SMA's with a system that works when the power is out. This looks interesting.

Hello!

Yeah Grid ted & with battery backup, its a DC coupled system, but can also AC couple. It can act as an string inverter, or an off grid one. I have some priority loads on the "Load terminal", and everything else goes back to my installation, and the remaining to grid.

48V Lifepo4 batteries.

Its a nice inverter if you want to keep things simple, altough i guess not with the quality of SMA, but good enough for most of us.

Hello!

Yeah Grid ted & with battery backup, its a DC coupled system, but can also AC couple. It can act as an string inverter, or an off grid one. I have some priority loads on the "Load terminal", and everything else goes back to my installation, and the remaining to grid.

48V Lifepo4 batteries.

Its a nice inverter if you want to keep things simple, altough i guess not with the quality of SMA, but good enough for most of us.
After seeing your setup, I have been researching Deye. Are they UL certified for insurance purposes and Grid connectivity? I cannot find that.
I have two houses, one I just bought in South Carolina that has 9K of SMA grid tied, and my NY house where I just installed two split phase MPP LV6548 inverters (13KW) with 26KW of Lishen/CATL cells.
I love the MPP LV inverters for their price ans flexibility. I can pass through grid, solar, battery and generator, and it works when the power is out and at night.
The SMA grid tie on the other hand works only on sunny days, and not when the power is off or at night. That is just silly to me. They are reliable, but so what if you cant use them in a grid down scenario.
I want to put in something flexible like the MPP LV's, (the LV6548's are UL 1741 certified), but I do not know anyone who is yet using them Grid tied. They Deye seem to be a good option if certified for US grid tie.

View attachment 56144

I'm glad you have everything working now! I also got my up and running back in April.
I'm doing around 1250kwh a month with a 8kw PV area east-south.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-23 at 12.21.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-23 at 12.21.53 PM.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
After seeing your setup, I have been researching Deye. Are they UL certified for insurance purposes and Grid connectivity? I cannot find that.
I have two houses, one I just bought in South Carolina that has 9K of SMA grid tied, and my NY house where I just installed two split phase MPP LV6548 inverters (13KW) with 26KW of Lishen/CATL cells.
I love the MPP LV inverters for their price ans flexibility. I can pass through grid, solar, battery and generator, and it works when the power is out and at night.
The SMA grid tie on the other hand works only on sunny days, and not when the power is off or at night. That is just silly to me. They are reliable, but so what if you cant use them in a grid down scenario.
I want to put in something flexible like the MPP LV's, (the LV6548's are UL 1741 certified), but I do not know anyone who is yet using them Grid tied. They Deye seem to be a good option if certified for US grid tie.

Yeah they have UL1741 so they should be able to. If you are in the US you can also get the Sol-ark, but its more expensive.

I come from smaller MPP Solars and the Deye is just as flexible as them, even more, but with a better quality, capacity and with UL.

PD: Deye is not for sale inside US, your only option would be SOL-ARK, they are almost the same inverter, but more expensive (Altough, better support, firmwares and connections).

I'm glad you have everything working now! I also got my up and running back in April.
I'm doing around 1250kwh a month with a 8kw PV area east-south.

Im glad for you too!!, you have very good numbers :), did you solve your issues?
Have you tried the wifi module by any chance?

Yeah they have UL1741 so they should be able to. If you are in the US you can also get the Sol-ark, but its more expensive.

I come from smaller MPP Solars and the Deye is just as flexible as them, even more, but with a better quality, capacity and with UL.

PD: Deye is not for sale inside US, your only option would be SOL-ARK, they are almost the same inverter, but more expensive (Altough, better support, firmwares and connections).

Im glad for you too!!, you have very good numbers :), did you solve your issues?
Yeah, Sol-Ark is made by Deye, but they jack the price up by $4000 here. No thanks. I understand a profit, but that is robbery. They also call it a 12K when its continuous AC output is actually more like 9K. False advertising.

Sorry for my poor English ?. I’m still having the issue where if there is no PV or battery available, the CT sensors shows the house is consuming 2x the energy which leads me to believe the sensors my be bad. Would be awesome if you could test it

I use the wifi model and app every day since I have to check my system remotely. The only thing I hate about it is that it updates every 5 minutes and because I bought the Deye from a dealer, they gave me the “home app” which can’t change settings remotely. I’ve saw a few threads on here showing how to pull real time data from the inverter and also change settings remotely.

Picture of the app attached.

Attachments

• F21146CB-1886-460C-90C7-EEB648A58663.jpeg
    F21146CB-1886-460C-90C7-EEB648A58663.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 23
Sorry for my poor English ?. I’m still having the issue where if there is no PV or battery available, the CT sensors shows the house is consuming 2x the energy which leads me to believe the sensors my be bad. Would be awesome if you could test it

I use the wifi model and app every day since I have to check my system remotely. The only thing I hate about it is that it updates every 5 minutes and because I bought the Deye from a dealer, they gave me the “home app” which can’t change settings remotely. I’ve saw a few threads on here showing how to pull real time data from the inverter and also change settings remotely.

Picture of the app attached.

App looks nice. I have the CT's in my to do list, however in my case the inverter its around 20mt from the main panel, and the conduit isn't that easy, so need some more time, but when i have it ready ill let you know!.

Almost finished, just need to solve the cabling under the inverter.

1626270133375.png

Hi great thread , I’m having the same issue f-20 . I checked the panel polarity before connecting to inverter and it was correct. But while wiring tonight I learned the hard way about backfeed . The panels were disconnected but the deye was on . While wiring in the pv to the mppt I got bit bad . Took me a while to find where it is coming from but from ground ( case of inverter ) to any mppt input ( pos or neg) I have 244 vdc . My arm is still hurting it hit me so hard . Why does the input have a voltage 244 vdc lower than the case ? Seems like rsd would be worthless because the inverter would backfeed

Be careful. 'Very Similar' may not be the same as 'identical'. A lot of these inverters are made by the same company based on the same overall design, but each company that contracts with them will specify a slightly different feature set. When the inverter gets built, the components for the features that the buyer doesn't want don't get installed.
they are, as you know, identical

I found my issue on the f20 but can’t test until morning , I had the 4 pole imo wire wrong , I assumed the wiring was straight through like a relay but not so . Still dint know why there is backfeed from the mppt to ground . Makes the rsd useless

Back