diy solar

diy solar

Diagram Review | 400w 12v Solar setup for van install

SpiritualRhino

Hey guys, hoping you all can give me a little advise and peace of mind as I've never done much like this before outside of electronics class in high school. The project is a Renogy 400w solar system to charge a 12 SOK 200a along with a standard wall plug battery charger and alternator power. Many many YT videos later and here is the diagram I've come up with. As far as DC loads go its not much so far, just a Maxxair Deluxe(3a)/strip lights(4a)/fridge(4a)/phone charger(7a) so should be well below 100 amps. I've already purchased these parts so really just want to make sure I've not made any big errors before I start setting it up.

Big question is this

1. When shopping for Bus Bars all I couldn't really find ones with enough large terminals so the ones I have only have 3 3/8" M10 and 10 M5s. Can I use those M5s for things like my 100a DC fuse box, victron 30a battery charger, and ground to chassis? If not I'm guessing my next option would be to wire some of these directly to the battery terminals, I know thats a less clean way to do it but is that my best choice at this point?

Thanks for any advice

Sam

Attachments

• WiringDiagram12-30-23.png
    WiringDiagram12-30-23.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 17
this is similar to a schematic I just posted hah! I was thinking about adding the battery charger too, but was wondering if you needed some sort of switch to toggle between the solar charge controller, charger and inverter, or if they are all just smart enough to sort out where the electricity is coming from.

Also, according to Will Prowse's tutorial videos, I think he recommends a 40a mppt controller for 400w solar, you may be planning for some future expansion though.

Also, according to Will Prowse's tutorial videos, I think he recommends a 40a mppt controller for 400w solar, you may be planning for some future expansion though.
Yeah, rule of thumb for 12v is 10a of SCC for every 100w of solar. It's not perfect but it's close enough to get you on paper.

Back