diy solar

diy solar

Did I screw up? Is this the right charge controller for my 24v panel system?

MushroomMan67

I purchased (in route) the Renogy 60A 12V/24V/36V/48V DC Input MPPT Solar Charge Controller Auto Parameter (see attached pic). Now I am worried.

I have the SOK 100aH 12v (config. to 24v battery bank).
I have a 24v solar panel array (see specs pic)

That being said I am concerned that in the description of the CC it states: Input Voltage: 12 Volts DC
So will it be able to accept 24v solar panels to the Renogy 60A? (again...see pic where it states Input Voltage: 12 Volts DC)

Please tell me I did not screw this up!

Attachments

• Rover 60A.jpg
    Rover 60A.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 7
  • sine inverter.jpg
    sine inverter.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 6
  • SOK 100Ah.jpg
    SOK 100Ah.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5
  • solar panel specs.jpeg
    solar panel specs.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
After further research it looks like 12V/24V/36V/48V DC Input MPPT means that it can be set up for any of these voltage systems. Correct?

After further research it looks like 12V/24V/36V/48V DC Input MPPT means that it can be set up for any of these voltage systems. Correct?
Those are the system battery Voltage, so you plan to put the two 12V batteries is series to create 24V.
There should be max PV input Voltage of the Renogy 60A it can handle. Most MPPT needs to have at least 5V or more above the battery Voltage for it to be able to charge the battery.

"I have the SOK 100aH 12v (config. to 24v battery bank).
I have a 24v solar panel array (see specs pic)"

I do not see the pictures. How many panels are we talking about?

What is the exact model of the Renogy 60A SCC? Can you upload the user manual?

Those are the system battery Voltage, so you plan to put the two 12V batteries is series to create 24V.
There should be max PV input Voltage of the Renogy 60A it can handle. Most MPPT needs to have at least 5V or more above the battery Voltage for it to be able to charge the battery.

"I have the SOK 100aH 12v (config. to 24v battery bank).
I have a 24v solar panel array (see specs pic)"

I do not see the pictures. How many panels are we talking about?

What is the exact model of the Renogy 60A SCC? Can you upload the user manual?
Hello Bud

I believe the Model is Rover 60A. The manual pdf: https://www.renogy.com/content/RNG-...sale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=314743

Yes. I have two 12V connected for a 24v battery bank.

My concern, please understand I am VERY new at this, is if this is able to accept 24v current from the panels. The reason I ask is because in the description on Amazon it states: Input Voltage: 12 Volts DC

I have a 24v setup (panels/wires/converter/battery bank). I'm not sure if 24v panels is a concern with the charge controller. Just confused.

PS...I must have forgotten to upload pics of my items in the first post.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Rover 60A.jpg
    Rover 60A.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 3
  • SOK 100Ah.jpg
    SOK 100Ah.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2
  • sine inverter.jpg
    sine inverter.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 2
LOL! Dude, I would have caught that if it was a problem. You're good.

Where you _might_ run into trouble is if the capacitors on the 3000 watt inverter overload the BMS of those two batteries. It's a momentary load to charge the capacitors, but it's a lot of amps. If your BMS shuts down when you connect the inverter to battery power, try adding solar power to the system to put a few more amps into the mix. I use two BMS (two batteries) and have no problem turning on my 2400 watt inverter.

If that still doesn't work then lookup pre-charge circuit here on the forum. There are plenty of threads that cover it. But try with just the batteries first. Be sure both batteries are connected when you connect the inverter.

LOL! Dude, I would have caught that if it was a problem. You're good.

Where you _might_ run into trouble is if the capacitors on the 3000 watt inverter overload the BMS of those two batteries. It's a momentary load to charge the capacitors, but it's a lot of amps. If your BMS shuts down when you connect the inverter to battery power, try adding solar power to the system to put a few more amps into the mix. I use two BMS (two batteries) and have no problem turning on my 2400 watt inverter.

If that still doesn't work then lookup pre-charge circuit here on the forum. There are plenty of threads that cover it. But try with just the batteries first. Be sure both batteries are connected when you connect the inverter.
I panicked last night HRTKD. I think I was a little slap-happy.
I just needed someone to tell me, 'everything is going to be ok'. :)

I have 4 12v that I will make into 24v bank. I was going to hook up 3 in serial first and make sure all is running smoothly before going 5 parallel.
I WILL be watching for it and take your advice if needed.

Thank you!

I have 4 12v that I will make into 24v bank. I was going to hook up 3 in serial first and make sure all is running smoothly before going 5 parallel.
I WILL be watching for it and take your advice if needed.

Um, what??? Three 12 volt batteries in series is a 36 volt battery bank. Do NOT hook that up to anything that is expecting run on a 24 volt system.

Four 12 volt batteries configured 2s2p may have no problem with the capacitors. If it does, the BMS will usually go into current overload. Wait a few minutes and try again.

Once the capacitors on an inverter are charged, they'll stay that way until you disconnect the inverter from the battery. Turning the inverter OFF does not discharge the capacitors. For safety, when you work on the system, turn off the inverter, disconnect the battery and then turn the inverter back on. That will drain the capacitors.

Back