diy solar

diy solar

Dirt Daubers........

SolarScott

Solar Enthusiast
Just a heads up....where I live dirt daubers are a horrible problem. They will crawl into anything possible to build their dirt nest. This can play havoc with electronics. So today I plugged up the holes where my PV input and battery input go into the bottom of my EG4 6000's. There are air vents on the bottom, but they appear to be too small for dirt daubers to crawl into. My AC in and AC out wires are run in conduit, so no problem there. If you have not thought of this, spring is in the air and those damn insects will be looking to get you. I feel sorry for anyone with fire ants. I hear they love to cluster up in electronics.

We call them mud daubers around my area.
And you have to be careful opening anything in the spring and summer. Them, wasps, and spiders will get you.
Not a problem for my system. As the only part that is outside is the panels.

The funny thing is that I’ve never been stung by a potter’s wasp, even though I’ve disturbed their nests. They are pretty docile as wasps go. Can’t say the same for bald faced hornets…

We call them mud daubers around my area.
And you have to be careful opening anything in the spring and summer. Them, wasps, and spiders will get you.
Not a problem for my system. As the only part that is outside is the panels.
Tim we don't have enough water around here to call them mud daubers.....that's why we call them dirt daubers.....I think they must provide their own moisture to add to the dirt they make their nest with. My inverters are inside a battery room I built inside my garage, but those things have built nests inside closed drawers in my bolt bin. I worked for USIC finding lines back a few years ago when I got my crop hailed out......you will almost crap yourself when opening a phone enclosure while down on your knees next to it and a snake coiled up in wires greets you.....

I tend to cover end holes in plastic channels and electronic vent openings with mosquito netting and silicone etc.
Living in the countryside has its drawbacks when it comes to insects...ants mostly here in the terrain.
Wasps doesn't come inside. Some odd spider venture inside.
Trying to keep doors and windows closed ^^
Mud daubers only create the teardrop shells if a bathroom window stay open and then only in the window sill/frame itself. Polite buggers ^^

I tend to cover end holes in plastic channels and electronic vent openings with mosquito netting and silicone etc.
Living in the countryside has its drawbacks when it comes to insects...ants mostly here in the terrain.
Wasps doesn't come inside. Some odd spider venture inside.
Trying to keep doors and windows closed ^^
Mud daubers only create the teardrop shells if a bathroom window stay open and then only in the window sill/frame itself. Polite buggers ^^
Here they will build one the size of your fist....in any opening they can find to get out of the weather....like inside cabinets or drawers of electrical panel boxes....

They get inside everything that's outside and provides shade around here.
I do manage to get hit by at least one hornet every season. I always manage to let my guard down at least once. lol
But inside my house, just the occasional spider. But not usually a problem.

We have a lot of dirt daubers here too, and yeah they seem to be able to get into tiny holes. The fireants are pretty bad but they're nothing compared to crazy ants. I had those when we lived on the coast. They kill all the fireants but they absolutely destroy anything they can get into, and they love to get into buildings and electrical. When I finally got rid of them with ongoing broadcast treatment over several acres I was so glad to see the fireants back. Just goes to show you, be careful what you wish for. :ROFLMAO:

Back