diy solar

diy solar

Small above ground pump questions

Paul C.

I have an existing 2" diameter well that is 43' deep. The water is about 10' to 12' below grade. It's about a 1,000' from any power, so I need to run it off solar. I did have a hand pump on it, but it froze after several years even though it is in SE Louisiana. When I removed the cracked hand pump, I saw where ants had tunneled down it carrying dirt into the pipe. I'd like to use it to irrigate a garden next to it.

Feel free to suggest others, but what looks to me like the best options are the Dankoff Solar Slow Pump (1303) and the Dankoff Solar Force Piston Pump (3020 or 3040).

I don't plan to connect it to a tank. I just want to be able to turn it on and off manually for irrigation / emergency water. Do I use an IMO DC disconnect or would something else be better to use to turn the pump on and off?

Given the small amount of dirt in the bottom of the well, would I be asking for trouble and clogged filters going with the slow pump?

I'm less than clear on 12/24/48 volt nominal. I guess I need to email the manufacturer on that since the manual doesn't make it clear what the actual preferred/max VOC/VMP.

Is there a solar pump controller you'd recommend for sheltered outdoor conditions, or should I just wire the solar panels directly to it?

I recently completed a DIY solar system for my house with a Solark 15K, AC coupled a grid tie inverter for additional power, and ground mount tied into the grid, so I have some experience in solar/electric.

I have an existing 2" diameter well that is 43' deep. The water is about 10' to 12' below grade. It's about a 1,000' from any power, so I need to run it off solar. I did have a hand pump on it, but it froze after several years even though it is in SE Louisiana. When I removed the cracked hand pump, I saw where ants had tunneled down it carrying dirt into the pipe. I'd like to use it to irrigate a garden next to it.

Feel free to suggest others, but what looks to me like the best options are the Dankoff Solar Slow Pump (1303) and the Dankoff Solar Force Piston Pump (3020 or 3040).

I don't plan to connect it to a tank. I just want to be able to turn it on and off manually for irrigation / emergency water. Do I use an IMO DC disconnect or would something else be better to use to turn the pump on and off?

Given the small amount of dirt in the bottom of the well, would I be asking for trouble and clogged filters going with the slow pump?

I'm less than clear on 12/24/48 volt nominal. I guess I need to email the manufacturer on that since the manual doesn't make it clear what the actual preferred/max VOC/VMP.

Is there a solar pump controller you'd recommend for sheltered outdoor conditions, or should I just wire the solar panels directly to it?

I recently completed a DIY solar system for my house with a Solark 15K, AC coupled a grid tie inverter for additional power, and ground mount tied into the grid, so I have some experience in solar/electric.
Won't need a lot of draw at that distance.

Amazon sells drop in 12/24 volt well pumps with 3-5GPM.

I would use a battery and switch or those pumps will keep trying to cycle and overheat.

Back