diy solar

diy solar

Distance from Array to MPPT

PineTree

Beginner here currently researching a new system. The current plan is to have 1,800 watts of panels charging 48-volt lifepo4 batteries. The existing ideal array mounting location (barn roof) is about 150ft from the likely battery storage location (with existing conduit in place). There is another cleared area that is closer (about 50ft) to the battery storage location but would require building a mounting rack. I understand the more distant location will require thicker wire if it's even practical at that distance but I am not sure what amount of voltage drop is acceptable.

Currently trying to weigh the pros and cons of running thicker gauge wire to the existing mounting location (if even practical) or building a new mount closer to the batteries.

Other background info: The battery storage location is about 125ft from the off-grid cabin which is to be powered with this system and is located in northern Maine with winter temps down to -25f. The cabin has a 240volt well pump.

Most folks seem to keep it under 3-5%
I used AWG8 for 90v, 42a, about 50 feet.

If possible keep your inverter(s) as close as possible to the panels and output 240 volts to the long transmission lines. 48/240 = .2.
Your voltage drop will be only 20 % of what it would be if you ran the 48 volts the total distance.
At 1800 watts the current to the end point would only be 7.5 amps. At 150 feet of 8awg copper wire your voltage drop would only be 1.57 or about .65 %. You could save some money by using 10 or even 12 gauge wire.
You might consider a string of micro inverters conected directly to the panels.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Beginner here currently researching a new system. The current plan is to have 1,800 watts of panels charging 48-volt lifepo4 batteries. The existing ideal array mounting location (barn roof) is about 150ft from the likely battery storage location (with existing conduit in place). There is another cleared area that is closer (about 50ft) to the battery storage location but would require building a mounting rack. I understand the more distant location will require thicker wire if it's even practical at that distance but I am not sure what amount of voltage drop is acceptable.

Currently trying to weigh the pros and cons of running thicker gauge wire to the existing mounting location (if even practical) or building a new mount closer to the batteries.

Other background info: The battery storage location is about 125ft from the off-grid cabin which is to be powered with this system and is located in northern Maine with winter temps down to -25f. The cabin has a 240volt well pump.

Highest voltage should be your longest distance. PV to Inverter (assuming 200v PV or higher)

Lowest voltage should be your Shortest distance (battery to inverter 48v)

Back