diy solar

diy solar

Does Solar EGC connect to existing AC Grounding rods system?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I am trying to understand whether I can connect my newly installed EGC (solar racking ground, charger controller ground and inverter ground) to the existing AC grounding that currently serves the cabin OR if I need to install a new grounding rod system.

This is for an off-grid installation. The baseline is a cabin with a generator and two rods dug into the ground a certain distance apart - I paid a local electrician few years ago to properly dig the rods and run the ground conduit to the main panel. This part is done.

Now I am wrapping up the solar installation and I do not know whether the new EGC ground wires from the solar racking + charger controller + inverter should also connect to the existing AC ground circuit OR if I need to install a new set of grounding rods for the DC equipment.

Any feedback on this question?

TIA!

I hope this doesn’t become another 10 page thread on the topic.

I don't want to turn this into a 10-pager, believe me. But I need to understand what is being said in plain english.

Bond to existing grounding system…

Meaning simply connect the new grounding system (from panels racking + charger controller + inverter) to the existing AC grounding system.

My doubt came from the fact that I didnt know if there was a difference between "AC grounding system" x "DC grounding system". Maybe I should not even call them AC x DC grounding systems.

Thanks for the response.

The metal parts on the PV conduit and PV array frame are galvanically isolated from the DC (solar cells are isolated and not bonded to their frame) so you don’t need to worry about the solar DC complicating this.

There is AC coupling that can pass through the glass insulation & whatnot within the solar module. Which is a safety risk. But bonding the metal parts of the PV will pull this to ground potential.

The metal parts on the PV conduit and PV array frame are galvanically isolated from the DC (solar cells are isolated and not bonded to their frame) so you don’t need to worry about the solar DC complicating this.
Thank you!

There is AC coupling that can pass through the glass insulation & whatnot within the solar module. Which is a safety risk. But bonding the metal parts of the PV will pull this to ground potential.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I suspect this is higher level information that I don't necessarily need to fully understand it.

Back