diy solar

diy solar

Multiple grounding rods for solar panel install and electrical devices?

If it hadn't been done, you would most likely not have the opportunity to go off grid with a solar system of any size with today's prices.
Wouldn't have needed to if they hadn't run utility prices out of control with disposable renewable tech. Could be doing another hobby.

Isn't that the way its always been?
Usually although there was always opportunity for the little guy during some periods.

Wouldn't have needed to if they hadn't run utility prices out of control with disposable renewable tech. Could be doing another hobby.
You should stay completely on grid power.

If you are only interested in energy cost, renewable isn't for you. Each one of us has our reasons for making the switch, cost is secondary although hedging against higher energy prices is a possible side benefit.

I would if that were true, but my electricity cost in the $.30-40 range thanks to energy policy in California.
That is easily fixed, move out of CA. Choosing to live in a fascist state has consequences. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...tall-and-electrical-devices.75118/post-955044

I belong to an industry forum and several years ago a member had a business in Chico. Things had started to deteriorate in the area. I told him to move, his daughter had already left for Wyoming. He owned some rental property, didn't have all of the commercial real estate paid for and would take a financial hit if he did sell. I told him if the trend continues, when he finally did sell it might be worth almost nothing.

Bad decisions have consequences. https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/chico/crime#description

I've thought about it a lot. But the benefits here outweigh the cost.
I live in an area where just a few years ago the average house cost about one year's earning for the average worker.

It isn't so cheap now, plenty of people left urban areas and came here driving up prices. Industry here is looking for more workers but can't get people to move here because of housing.

I have $35K in my house. That is correct, not $350K. Of course I did the remodel and addition myself. No permits, no inspections.

I purchased the acreage with the house, well and a few junk outbuildings off the sheriff's sale for $32,010. $10 more than what the bank had in it. Bare land at the time was around $5K/acre, now it is $15K. I have 4 acres. That was around 2009. I've torn down some of the buildings and added others. If I were to sell, asking price now would be over $1mil. I'd get it too.

Guy in town here left CA and moved here permanently. He bought one of the newest houses in town, that house was built about 20 years ago by the banker and cost $425K to build. He purchased it probably 5 years before moving here permanently 2 years ago for $78K from the banker's trust. He had closed on the house without ever setting foot inside. I was good friends with the banker's wife before Parkinson's took her away and was familiar with the house. That was a steal.

If my housing situation wasn't established, I would certainly be out of here. But probably to the high desert somewhere, maybe just down to socal.

Not required by NEC.

Just because your AHJ is ill informed or ignorant does not change the NEC.
@glandpuck

Put them in to satisfy the AHJ and pass the inspections and once you have the paperwork remove them or disconnect them. You’d be better off in the long run in compliance with the NEC for protection than the AHJ adding liability.

Simply because something hasn’t been a problem for some period of time does not mean it isn’t t incorrect and will not cause problems. Correlation does not imply causation. Wrong is still wrong, even if it hasn’t been an issue YET.

Reactions: Zwy
Wow, this thread really took off. Now I don' t feel so bad about being so totally clueless on this subject.

Question on the wiring for ground

1. can it be the twisted type ?

2. does it have to be bare?

Reason I ask is I have some 6awg lying around from when I installed my hot tub which I was hoping I could use from the ground bar to the two rods

thanks

thanks. I ask because I keep seeing videos of the wire being the solid type and it's bare.

It's kinda costly so I was hoping this wire I have laying around will do

In that case. You should erect a fence around the array. And add danger signs. So that people are warned to stay away.
My panels will be positioned closer to my neighbors house. Even if ground resistance protected my house a ground rod pulse to their electronics would not foster good relationships. Reason I will be upgrading my waterline grounding system (1980s build hence grandfathered) to also bond to the two exterior ground rods where everything will tie in.

Even if ground resistance protected my house a ground rod pulse to their electronics would not foster good relationships.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. There shouldn't be any connection between your system and your neighbors. Other than possibly the utility connection.

Sorry. Please let me reword.

If I were to sink a separate ground rod by the panels not only would a fence be advised but I was concerned about the chance of a ground pulse to my neighbors house especially if it wasn’t bonded to my main ground.

Last edited:
Sorry. Please let me reword.

If I were to sink a separate ground rod by the panels not only would a fence be advised but I was concerned about the chance of a ground pulse to my neighbors house.
It would not affect your neighbors. Unless you also connected your array grounding to theirs.

So I have what is going to seem like a really weird question.

I have a powershed which I built in the yard to house the batters, inverter etc etc.

I have yet to fill up the post holes with concrete and they are a good 3 ft deep at least. So I was able to get one of the grounding rods sunk nearly the entire way into this hole as half was already done since it's dug out. This place is perfect as the post holes are exactly 8 ft apart so I can just drive the other rod into the other hole and call it day. The cable I have is nearly PERFECT size to go from both rods up into the shed and onto the area where the ground bar will be

it would seem I've caught a break for once in my life

so my question is: Will I be causing any negative effects on the grounding by filling the post holes with concrete? Other than ensuring I'll never be able to get these things out of the ground again?

Back