diy solar

diy solar

DIY Battery Solar Diverter

FYI, OpenEnergy PV diverter has been around for years now and I believe it already supports most of what you want to do. Most of the people using it are also in UK. Check out https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/pv-diversion/index.html.
Yeah I found that, it is a cool project but like all the other Diverters I have found, the dump load is either a switch or heating water. The problem I was trying to solve was "dumping" that energy into a battery where i actually want it which requires gaining full continuous control over an AC Battery charger.

Some Hybrid inverters can let you do that if you talk to them over CAN perhaps using pylon tech protocol but a hybrid inverter is a very expensive AC battery charger and I was trying to get way from installing an inverter on the grid for legislative purposes. Straight AC chargers off the shelf dont give you control over the amps in a meaningful way. They also don't tend to be very high wattage, the ones that are are very expensive ~£1000-£2000

Yeah I found that, it is a cool project but like all the other Diverters I have found, the dump load is either a switch or heating water. The problem I was trying to solve was "dumping" that energy into a battery where i actually want it which requires gaining full continuous control over an AC Battery charger.

Some Hybrid inverters can let you do that if you talk to them over CAN perhaps using pylon tech protocol but a hybrid inverter is a very expensive AC battery charger and I was trying to get way from installing an inverter on the grid for legislative purposes. Straight AC chargers off the shelf dont give you control over the amps in a meaningful way. They also don't tend to be very high wattage, the ones that are are very expensive ~£1000-£2000
You can use an inexpensive (<$100 used) high power (3kW) 48V server/telecomm power supply with CAN bus comms for voltage and current limit control. I have used the Huawei R4850 (https://github.com/craigpeacock/Huawei_R4850G2_CAN) but others (e.g. Emerson/Vertiv, etc.) will also work.

You can use an inexpensive (<$100 used) high power (3kW) 48V server/telecomm power supply with CAN bus comms for voltage and current limit control. I have used the Huawei R4850 (https://github.com/craigpeacock/Huawei_R4850G2_CAN) but others (e.g. Emerson/Vertiv, etc.) will also work.
Fantastic! now that is the sort of cross purposing knowledge which is invaluable. The best I could think of was a CV CC SMPS with adjustable CC which on Ali was going to set me back ~£300for 3000W.

Have you ever tried it in conjunction with other chargers? my only concern was back flow of current from other sources. I was going to go down the "Ideal diode" circuit path before I started the G99 approach. I may come back to this project one day at that price point though..

Fantastic! now that is the sort of cross purposing knowledge which is invaluable. The best I could think of was a CV CC SMPS with adjustable CC which on Ali was going to set me back ~£300for 3000W.

Have you ever tried it in conjunction with other chargers? my only concern was back flow of current from other sources. I was going to go down the "Ideal diode" circuit path before I started the G99 approach. I may come back to this project one day at that price point though..
No need for ideal diode. The relevant server/telecomm PSU's are designed for paralleling and 24/7 usage with safety protection (UL certified ones). Other components in your DIY system are more likely to fail first.

Back