diy solar

diy solar

Recommendation for small inverter/charger for DIY UPS

krby

Solar Enthusiast
I have built a DIY UPS for my home network rack. When I built it, I had an inverter already, found a good deal on the batteries, so I just bought a RV converter/charger to and build a double conversion-style UPS. It's been running fine since July and in the last few months I added an Arduino with some sensors to give me a "UPS-like USB connection". The Arduino senses AC present/missing and the voltage on the DC side of things and reports that over USB as if it is a consumer UPS, this lets me do things like have the NAS power off if the AC is out for more than 15 minutes, giving me longer runtime for the batteries.

This all works ok, I'm posting here I'm thinking about upgrading to a single inverter/charger (chargeverter?) to give a cleaner install. Also, the inverter I have now trips above 14.5V so I can only bulk charge reliably at 14.4V without tripping the inverter.

I really only need about 250W of power on the AC output side. With everything on, I'm usually using about 100-150W, sometimes spikes up above 200W. When running on battery, the NAS turns off and that gets down to about 55W of AC. The battery bank are two 12V 200Ah AGMs. I have these in parallel now, but could wire them in series if the right chargeverter was 24V only.

Are there "small" chargeverters? Something around 500W of output? More is fine, but I'm hoping for smaller/cheaper by going lower? The batteries have a max charge current of 60A each, but recharging at the max current isn't critical. I've been doing fine with 55A of charge capacity from my current converter/charger. Ideally the new thing would be something that would handle multiple batt chemistries or be configurable enough I could do that. I'm comfortable digging through settings to do setup charge profiles, and understand bulk, absorb, float, CC/CV charging and tail current settings.

Since I have this working now, I'm sort of cost sensitive. It's both a learning project but also something I want to look a it neater that it does now.

14.2 - 14.4 volts is plenty on a day to day basis. I would reduce the voltage and use what you have.

14.2 - 14.4 volts is plenty on a day to day basis. I would reduce the voltage and use what you have.
I don't quite follow. When you say "reduce the voltage and use what I have", what do you mean? Do you mean just accept the problem of the current inverter? Thanks, that's the default. I would still like to hear options for a small charger/inverter. It's not needed, but I'd be happier with a single box.

I've somewhat thought about this in the past was tricky finding something small with charger and inverter in one as @time2roll has indicated especially if you wanted to use your own batteries. Closest I could come up with is a Morningstar SureSine 150W or 300W inverter plus a Victron Blue Smart IP65 Charger. The combination would be more then that 700W Tripp Lite listed..

Ya, I guess maybe the size isn't so relevant. >500W more is fine. Price is really what I'm after, so I guess I should look at what is possible for pure sine wave inverter/chargers at <$350 and then maybe <$500? Dunno if anything reasonable exists at those prices.

Ya, I guess maybe the size isn't so relevant. >500W more is fine. Price is really what I'm after, so I guess I should look at what is possible for pure sine wave inverter/chargers at <$350 and then maybe <$500? Dunno if anything reasonable exists at those prices.
lowest quality I would ever accept in an inverter is Samlex and the Samlex Evo-1212F is over 1k but its 1200 watt sine wave with 60 amps charging ability.

at that price you could buy a lot of thing of off alibabba what the quality level would be is debateable.

Ya, if I'm going over $1000, I'd start looking at Samlex, Victron, etc. I have a Multiplus 24V 3000VA in a different project. For this, it's much less critical and sort of a passion project so I was trying to go cheaper especially since my power needs are so low. It looks like there just isn't a market for a "high end" <500W inverter/charger.

I can highly recommend Samlex. These are top quality products. Within the EVO family, they have built-in ATS and some have dual AC Input (Grid/Genset) with ATS as well. Some even have Solar Input that you can attach a solar controller too. They are fully programmable, including UPS modes and prioritization etc. They start @ 1200W and go up.

Inside Photo of my EVO-4024
1608235771498-png.30545

I bought a 300W "UPS Inverter" from Inverter.com and it seems to work alright, I haven't opened it beyond replacing a fuse that I blew once. The price is in the range that you're looking for. I learned about them from the "WISP Talk" group on Facebook for wireless internet service providers and supposedly a couple guys on there had some luck with them.

The draw from the wall with the inverter shutoff is about 290W when charging my 100AH 12V LiFePO4 battery. AC power from the input is passed through when available, and when AC input is lost the inverter takes over.

I do wish it was a but more customizable by the end user, like for example you have to specify SLA or Lithium at checkout. At some point I may pull it apart to see if there's just a jumper or switch that I can flip.

I bought a 300W "UPS Inverter" from Inverter.com and it seems to work alright, I haven't opened it beyond replacing a fuse that I blew once. The price is in the range that you're looking for. I learned about them from the "WISP Talk" group on Facebook for wireless internet service providers and supposedly a couple guys on there had some luck with them.

The draw from the wall with the inverter shutoff is about 290W when charging my 100AH 12V LiFePO4 battery. AC power from the input is passed through when available, and when AC input is lost the inverter takes over.

I do wish it was a but more customizable by the end user, like for example you have to specify SLA or Lithium at checkout. At some point I may pull it apart to see if there's just a jumper or switch that I can flip.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. Opening it up and posting pictures may be useful just for understanding what would be required if I decide to build my own from scratch

I would go cheap with the double conversion setup you have. Maybe add some capacitors to deal with the ripple.

If you go with an inverter/charger, you have to look at transfer time (how long from loss of grid to power from battery).

Back