diy solar

diy solar

DIY battery storage in the UK

cajocars

Hi all, I've been getting solar quotes from different company, but due to the high costs they charge and the non optimal orientation of my roof, it doesn't look like a viable investment.

What makes more sense would be installing battery storage to use in conjunction with Octopus Go(which gives me 4 hours at ~ 1/4 of the normal price), so charging batteries at night and discharge them during the day. Companies quote in the order of £10000 for installing a 15kWh battery, but I know I can buy a 15kWh LiFePo4 for around £3500 and an inverter is less than £1000.

The DIY solution would give me about a 4 year payback period comparing to the 10 year with a fully installed one.

Has anyone gone the DIY route for battery storage in the UK? With DIY I mean not having to tell the DNO or having anything certified by a paid professional.

Hi all, I've been getting solar quotes from different company, but due to the high costs they charge and the non optimal orientation of my roof, it doesn't look like a viable investment.

What makes more sense would be installing battery storage to use in conjunction with Octopus Go(which gives me 4 hours at ~ 1/4 of the normal price), so charging batteries at night and discharge them during the day. Companies quote in the order of £10000 for installing a 15kWh battery, but I know I can buy a 15kWh LiFePo4 for around £3500 and an inverter is less than £1000.

The DIY solution would give me about a 4 year payback period comparing to the 10 year with a fully installed one.

Has anyone gone the DIY route for battery storage in the UK? With DIY I mean not having to tell the DNO or having anything certified by a paid professional.
Unless there is no battery or grid tie , you will have to either inform the DNO or specifically seek the DNO permission

In all cases professional certification is required by law but of course you can “ skip “ over that at your own risk and of course lying to your house insurance , the system must be installed to G98 or G99 standards and compliant with wiring codes and specific equipment approval standards.

Of course nothing physically will stop you from installing solutions that could electrocute you and others or burn your house to the ground

Welcome to the forum. I'll probably get shot down for this but I've seen a number of videos on youtube by Andy Reynolds (in the UK) on diy solar and batteries. He goes into a lot of detail on forklift batteries and resurrecting them ... along with all sorts of videos on inverters and solar panels

Hmmm... you have a strange definition of DIY!

You can of course do it DIY if you have the skills ???. If not then don't. ??

In all case you should inform the DNO - this is trivial and can be done 30 days after the install, if it's G98 compliant.

You will also need to ensure all wiring meets IET regulations and Building Regs Part P. You can DIY then have a sparky check it and do the final connection to the grid.

HTH.

Hmmm... you have a strange definition of DIY!

You can of course do it DIY if you have the skills ???. If not then don't. ??

In all case you should inform the DNO - this is trivial and can be done 30 days after the install, if it's G98 compliant.

You will also need to ensure all wiring meets IET regulations and Building Regs Part P. You can DIY then have a sparky check it and do the final connection to the grid.

HTH.
If it has a battery I believe it’s G99 and permission rather then simply informing them is required.

Back