diy solar

diy solar

DIY Battery via Smart shunt to inverter integration (Solis etc)

@ScrotusGobbleBottom Wait. I didn’t know you can log into it over WiFi and change things. How the heck do you do it??? I thought Wi-Fi was there only for getting mqqt messages sent and data to home assistant.
I just logged into my router, found the new connection, went to my computer on the same network, typed in the IP address and thats it!
Technically, I logged in using a wired computer to the wireless esp32.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-29-57 DIY SMART BMS.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-29-57 DIY SMART BMS.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-05 DIY SMART BMS.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-05 DIY SMART BMS.png
    61 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-13 DIY SMART BMS.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-13 DIY SMART BMS.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-28 DIY SMART BMS.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 20-30-28 DIY SMART BMS.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
I just logged into my router, found the new connection, went to my computer on the same network, typed in the IP address and thats it!
Technically, I logged in using a wired computer to the wireless esp32.
Odd, I can't get that to come up. I am simply typing the IP address in my browser and no luck. Now I must figure this out!

Odd, I can't get that to come up. I am simply typing the IP address in my browser and no luck. Now I must figure this out!
Must be on the same network name. I would try an Ethernet connected computer. Phones have a hard time with ip addresses in my experience.
Are you trying on a phone?

Must be on the same network name. I would try an Ethernet connected computer. Phones have a hard time with ip addresses in my experience.
Are you trying on a phone?
I have the IP address on a DHCP reservation on my router (pseudo static IP). I get nothing. Think I’m going to restart it.

@ScrotusGobbleBottom , can't get a web page. I know I have the right IP address. This is all I get in a browser: Not found: /

Is there an <ipadress>/'something' for the URI? I even refreshed with no luck via usb and visual studio code.

How are you flashing and are you using visual studio? Other then the web page (which I want now), this works fine

@ScrotusGobbleBottom , can't get a web page. I know I have the right IP address. This is all I get in a browser: Not found: /

Is there an <ipadress>/'something' for the URI? I even refreshed with no luck.
No, nothing special in the URL. Are you sure your esp32 is connected to wifi?
It was never terribly clear to me that mine was connected when I was using the esp32 access point.
I didnt know until i looked in the router logs

That may be the issue. It was slow and janky when using it as an AP and adjusting settings. Perhaps it can do only one or the other.
Did you adjust any settings our just use the project build and modified the config.h? Not sure how to adjust the ESP as an AP or not.
It is definitely registered with and IP on my network just like my other devices.

Did you adjust any settings our just use the project build and modified the config.h? Not sure how to adjust the ESP as an AP or not.
It is definitely registered with and IP on my network just like my other devices.
Coming into this I didnt know anything. I did not adjust or modify any code.
I cloned the repository in visual studio code and somehow managed to figure it all out after a lot of trial and error.
The esp is only an AP when you first flash the code and that is where you set it up to your wifi network.
Is the IP address on the same subnet as your computer? When I logged into the esp32 AP it was 168.192.4.*

Coming into this I didnt know anything. I did not adjust or modify any code.
I cloned the repository in visual studio code and somehow managed to figure it all out after a lot of trial and error.
The esp is only an AP when you first flash the code and that is where you set it up to your wifi network.
Is the IP address on the same subnet as your computer? When I logged into the esp32 AP it was 168.192.4.*
yup, funny similar subnet here. Thing pings all day, reports CAN messages find to inverter, just no webpage. Maybe I redo it all from scratch, blow away current repository, redownload and flash.

yup, funny similar subnet here. Thing pings all day, reports CAN messages find to inverter, just no webpage. Maybe I redo it all from scratch, blow away current repository, redownload and flash.
Right, could be code added after you put your together.

Right, could be code added after you put your together.
Well just to make sure it was clean, setup a new profile on computer, installed visual studio code, cloned repo, updated config and flashed. Same result. Controls inverter just fine but no web page from ESP. I wonder if it’s my board.

Do you mind linking the esp32 module your purchased, @ScrotusGobbleBottom ?

Did you log into the AP? It was called DIYBMS or something similar
No, I configured the config.h to connect to my network WiFi so it can connect with my HA MQTT broker. Didn’t not do that step, config WiFi?

You have the same esp32 I do.

No, I configured the config.h to connect to my network WiFi so it can connect with my HA MQTT broker. Didn’t not do that step, config WiFi?

You have the same esp32 I do.
So that is different than me. I flashed, logged into AP, configured wifi. verified on router, plugged into eg4 and shunt, noticed eps overload error, logged into IP address, and configured.

So that is different than me. I flashed, logged into AP, configured wifi. verified on router, plugged into eg4 and shunt, noticed eps overload error, logged into IP address, and configured.
Tried another esp32, simply flashed without modifying any Victron-CAN code. Do not see any AP WiFi SID from phone or computer to use. Might try to do this on a PC, maybe a library or something isn’t installing properly.

I think it’s cool you can see that info which is why I want it. lol. Can’t believe that web UI is not working on my devices.

Tried another esp32, simply flashed without modifying any Victron-CAN code. Do not see any AP WiFi SID from phone or computer to use. Might try to do this on a PC, maybe a library or something isn’t installing properly.

I think it’s cool you can see that info which is why I want it. lol. Can’t believe that web UI is not working on my devices.
I did install what felt like a whole bunch of shit in visual studio code.

Last edited:
Well I give up. Tired in a windows machine and took the exact steps you did with raw clone from GitHub. There is no WiFi AP to connect to via WiFi from computer or phone. Only way for me to config WiFi is in code then flash but don’t get those cool screens you showed.

Back