diy solar

diy solar

DIY Van Electical System: 24V/280A Battery + 1020W Solar

buryck

Hi everyone, I'm planning to build this electrical system for my van conversion and i need some help and advice from you guys. I'll attach a rough/early schematic version of the electrical system and its components for you to tell me if it's wired correctly, plus what else do i need to add to the system, like circuit breakers, shunts, etc., and where on the schematic should be installed.

Untitled.jpg

As you can see, there is no BMS, and i don't intend on adding one since i'll never draw more the 0.5C and i have undervoltage protection from Victron EasySolar Inverter/Charger. For the 12/24V consumers i plan on adding a Victron battery monitor to take care of the undervoltage situation. If this is a good ideea, where exactly should the battery monitor be added on the circuit? And do i need a smart shunt for the battery monitor also? If having no BMS is a bad ideea, please let me know as i'm willing to change my mind if i'm wrong.
One other thing is the wire sizes for the different parts of the circuit, but i'll try to calculate that on my own and come back to double check it with you guys, just to be safe.

Partial component list:

8x 3.2V 280A LiFePo4 Battery Cells, 1C charge/discharge rate, 3500+ Cycles @80% DoD
2x 160W Mono PV Panels Voc - 22.9V / Isc - 8.37A / Vmp - 20.2V / Imp - 7.92A
2x 350W Mono PV Panels Voc - 40.73V / Isc - 10.79A / Vmp - 34.07V / Imp - 10.27A
1x Victron MPPT Smart Solar Charge Controller 12/24V 100/20
1x Victron EasySolar Inverter/Charger 24V/3000VA/70A + MPPT 150V/70A
1x DC-DC 24/12-20 (240W) Converter
2x Fuse Box
2x Busbars

Get an overkillsolar BMS. It's foolish not to. Costs less than a Victron battery monitor. You THINK your coarse voltage controls will work, but you'd be surprised how quickly they'll go to shit if your cells aren't near perfect, and your logic for not using one is not applicable.

Shunt for battery monitor should go on battery (-) terminal.

Why the separate 160W panels and charge controller? Would seem more effective to just add another 350W to the big array and skip the expense of the extra SCC.

See link #2 in my sig for various wire sizing tidbits.

Get an overkillsolar BMS. It's foolish not to. Costs less than a Victron battery monitor. You THINK your coarse voltage controls will work, but you'd be surprised how quickly they'll go to shit if your cells aren't near perfect, and your logic for not using one is not applicable.

Shunt for battery monitor should go on battery (-) terminal.

Why the separate 160W panels and charge controller? Would seem more effective to just add another 350W to the big array and skip the expense of the extra SCC.

See link #2 in my sig for various wire sizing tidbits.
Thanks for the reply
Ok, so the battery cells are very well matched. I heard it from Will in one of his videos talking about people using the cells without a BMS for years with no problem. Anyway you recomend a BMS and ditch the battery monitor because is not needed then? or keep them both? What BMS do you recommend?

Would've been easier and cheaper to get another 350W panel, but the van roof layout doesn't alow it.

Include fuse calculations when you do your wire calcs. Fuses protect the wire so put them at the start of the wire - battery terminal, busbar etc
Thanks for the advice

Is it necessary to fuze every positive wire on the circuit?

Thanks for the advice

Fuses protect wiring/components and are a last line of defense against fires.

I would add fuses to the Solar Panel outputs and the battery.

Fuses and breakers collectively are called over current protection devices.
Its not absolutely necessary but good form, especially if you are not that experienced.
All charge sources should have OCP as close as possible to the positive terminal to minimise the risk of an upstream short.
This https://www.waytekwire.com/item/45575/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-MRBF-Mounting-Bar-/ and this https://www.waytekwire.com/item/78261B/Blue-Sea-Systems-5196B-MRBF-Surface-Mount/ and their associated fuses make it sweet.

There are 2 scenarios that come to mind where a wire may not require OCP.
1. If you have a charge source with OCP at source and terminated on a busbar and a load connected to the same busbar with equal or greater gauge wire then its ok not to have OCP on that that load wire.

2. For simple pv panel arrays no fuse is required but a means of disconnect is, so people often use a breaker just for the disconnect feature.

Always use quality OCP protection devices, that means avoid the no-name amazon cheapies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply
Ok, so the battery cells are very well matched. I heard it from Will in one of his videos talking about people using the cells without a BMS for years with no problem. Anyway you recomend a BMS and ditch the battery monitor because is not needed then? or keep them both? What BMS do you recommend?

Would've been easier and cheaper to get another 350W panel, but the van roof layout doesn't alow it.

Will recommends beginners and intermediate users use a BMS. Its rather cheap protection that can't be replicated by any other component. And becomes more necessary in my opinion when buying cheap grey market cells of somewhat unknown quality/origin.

The people that choose to forego a BMS should (1) have a solid amount of experience and know-how (2) use verifiable quality well-matched grade A cells (3) actively manage the system during charge and discharge (4) set conservative limits. And should really have thought through why they are foregoing a BMS and how they will mitigate the risks. From your original post, I don't get the feeling you will meet all these conditions.

I don't have a specific BMS to reccomend but I think you should consider:
  1. Daly BMS (dead simple, basic, barebones, upto 250A)
  2. JBD Smart BMS / Overkill Solar (upto 100A @ 24v)
  3. Ant Smart BMS (upto "320A" but I don't trust that number)
  4. Chargery BMS (not current limited, flexible, customizable, intermediate, relay based)
  5. SBMS0 (not current limited, flexible, customizable, more advanced)

Last edited:
As to your questions:

1. And do i need a smart shunt for the battery monitor also?

No, well probably not, you didn't list the battery monitor model in your parts list, but assuming it is a Victron BMV, it is a type of 'smart shunt,' and the Victron Smart Shunt would be redundant.

2. where exactly should the battery monitor be added on the circuit?

Negative side, near the battery. Consult the documentation for a specific answer.

3. If having no BMS is a bad ideea, please let me know

As noted above, I think its a bad idea for most non-experts in most cases from a cost/benefit, risk/reward perspective.

4. i plan on adding a Victron battery monitor to take care of the undervoltage situation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I don't think this is what it is designed to do. In what sense will it take care of the undervoltage situation?

5. One other thing is the wire sizes for the different parts of the circuit, but i'll try to calculate that on my own and come back to double check it with you guys, just to be safe.

Some general tips on this:

There are two parts to wire sizing (good marine calculators will account for both)

Voltage drop is pretty straightforward, and there are many good calculators for this. The variables you need to know to determine voltage drop are (1) total length of circuit/wire (2) amps flowing through circuit (3) wire size (4) voltage (if you want vdrop as a %)

Ampacity is the second factor. Ampacity = how much current they wire can safely handle before heating up or catching fire. The primary factors here are (1) Wire gauge (2) Insulation temperature rating (3) ambient temperature / other environmental factors.

In my opinion, the simplest way to go about this is pick a standard and stick to it. For instance if you use a marine calculator, or table, also make sure to buy marine rated UL1426 wire. This way you know the default assumptions the calculator makes and reflected in the wire you buy and you don't have to research these things individually.

As others have noted, fuses/OCP should in most cases be larger than the load but smaller than the wire. Here is a pretty good intro video and the link in my signature to filterguy's post is a good primer as well.

Last edited:
Some excellent advice already, other considerations:
  1. The Victron EasySolar is a very expensive bit of kit, are you absolutely sure you need all that spec? 3,000W inverter? Ability to grid-tie? 70A charging rate from a PV array only capable of generating 47A on a good day in Summer, 12A in Winter? PowerAssist to power even >3,000W from a grid source? Automatic transfer switch. Internet connectivity + remote control and configuration. Etc etc. Depending on your actual requirements, you could easily swap this out for components at half the price of an EasySolar.
  2. Consider bonding and earthing your panels and equipment.
  3. Fuse protection and cable sizing has already been mentioned.
  4. Consider adding the ability to isolate all sources of power i.e. battery & PV array(s).
  5. Consider adding a Victron BMV and connect it via ve.direct to the EasySolar, this will give the EasySolar a more accurate battery voltage & SoC.
  6. Consider adding an alternator-supplied charging source e.g. Victron Orion.
Good luck with your project.

Thank you all for the detailed answers
Will recommends beginners and intermediate users use a BMS. Its rather cheap protection that can't be replicated by any other component. And becomes more necessary in my opinion when buying cheap grey market cells of somewhat unknown quality/origin.

The people that choose to forego a BMS should (1) have a solid amount of experience and know-how (2) use verifiable quality well-matched grade A cells (3) actively manage the system during charge and discharge (4) set conservative limits. And should really have thought through why they are foregoing a BMS and how they will mitigate the risks. From your original post, I don't get the feeling you will meet all these conditions.

You're right, i don't have any experience. The cells are grade A and they are well matched, but i guess you can't be 100% sure about that when they come from China. By conservative limits you mean depth of discharge? I intend on having a 80% DoD (10%-90%), or even less, like 70%.
4. i plan on adding a Victron battery monitor to take care of the undervoltage situation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I don't think this is what it is designed to do. In what sense will it take care of the undervoltage situation?
My idea was to use the Victron BMV to monitor the voltage and trigger a relay or a battery protect wich will disconect all loads when it reaches 10% or 20% SoC. Sorry i wasn't clear about that.
Some excellent advice already, other considerations:
  1. The Victron EasySolar is a very expensive bit of kit, are you absolutely sure you need all that spec? 3,000W inverter? Ability to grid-tie? 70A charging rate from a PV array only capable of generating 47A on a good day in Summer, 12A in Winter? PowerAssist to power even >3,000W from a grid source? Automatic transfer switch. Internet connectivity + remote control and configuration. Etc etc. Depending on your actual requirements, you could easily swap this out for components at half the price of an EasySolar.
  2. Consider bonding and earthing your panels and equipment.
  3. Fuse protection and cable sizing has already been mentioned.
  4. Consider adding the ability to isolate all sources of power i.e. battery & PV array(s).
  5. Consider adding a Victron BMV and connect it via ve.direct to the EasySolar, this will give the EasySolar a more accurate battery voltage & SoC.
  6. Consider adding an alternator-supplied charging source e.g. Victron Orion.
Good luck with your project.
That's true, the EasySolar 24/3000 it's more than i need in some areas. The MPPT is twice more powerfull than i need, and i also don't need the power assist feature. The inverter runs at 2400W continuous, and i only need 2000W at most. But i'll be traveling in Africa in high temperatures, and the inverter output power will drop to 2200W at 40C. Internet conectivity for VRM is nice to have, and the fact that i can monitor and control the sistem at a distance was also behind my initial idea on not adding a BMS. Buying the individual, appropriately sized components from Victron, would've cost me even more than the Easysolar. Plus 5 years warranty is good peace of mind. I don't like the 1-2 years warranty on most other brands. It's expensive but it will last longer, hopefully :))

I will add the ability to disconnect the PV input and battery output, and earthing everything as best as i can.

I looked into the alternator charging option with Victron Orion, and i might add it later if needed. For now, i think the PV are enough.

Considering all your advice, i will be adding a BMS and i'm leaning towards Overkill Solar, but is the 100A limit enough? I don't think i'll actually draw more that 100A even with all my DC loads on and the inverter running a 2000W load at the same time, but is pushing the BMS limit. Would that be ok? Another option i was thinking about is to wire the Easysolar independent of the BMS since it will never run without me in the van. It will only be on when i'm cooking, and i can monitor it myself, plus it can turn itself off at a 20% SoC. That leaves the BMS with an easy job of taking care of the DC loads and balance the cells. Will that be ok? If not, is it ok running the BMS close to it's limits, but not for long, realistically it will only run close to the max for 1 hour a day?

Thank you again for your answers and advice, very helpful.

Last edited:
Considering all your advice, i will be adding a BMS and i'm leaning towards Overkill Solar, but is the 100A limit enough?
It is generally considered prudent to size the BMS to the maximum discharge current of your batteries - essentially future proofing it. Lithium-ion can be safely discharged up to around 1C (i.e. 240A for a 240AH battery). Cheaper BMS's (probably does not include the Overkill Solar, don't know much about it) should be de-rated by at least 30% so a BMS capable of supporting 312A would be 'ideal'.

Also, do remember that your EasySolar is rated for 3,000W, that on its own is 125A at 24V. You're definitely not in the right ball park with a 100A BMS. I would suggest something in the region of 156A* - 312A (*just 125A +25%).

I know that Daly do BMS's up to around 250A, I think, and Chargery up to around 600A (but I've heard their contactors are hugely inefficient).
Another option i was thinking about is to wire the Easysolar independent of the BMS since it will never run without me in the van.
Just, no. The BMS is there as the last line of defence to protect your investment. You might as well just not buy one if all you're going to do is bypass it.
If not, is it ok running the BMS close to it's limits,
I personally would not design a system that runs any where near component limits. It's just not a good (or safe) way to design stuff. If a bridge is rated for 1,000 tonnes, it does not fail at 1,001 tonnes.

It is generally considered prudent to size the BMS to the maximum discharge current of your batteries - essentially future proofing it. Lithium-ion can be safely discharged up to around 1C (i.e. 240A for a 240AH battery). Cheaper BMS's (probably does not include the Overkill Solar, don't know much about it) should be de-rated by at least 30% so a BMS capable of supporting 312A would be 'ideal'.

Also, do remember that your EasySolar is rated for 3,000W, that on its own is 125A at 24V. You're definitely not in the right ball park with a 100A BMS. I would suggest something in the region of 156A* - 312A (*just 125A +25%).

I know that Daly do BMS's up to around 250A, I think, and Chargery up to around 600A (but I've heard their contactors are hugely inefficient).

Just, no. The BMS is there as the last line of defence to protect your investment. You might as well just not buy one if all you're going to do is bypass it.

I personally would not design a system that runs any where near component limits. It's just not a good (or safe) way to design stuff. If a bridge is rated for 1,000 tonnes, it does not fail at 1,001 tonnes.

I don't like pushing things to the max either, as you can see even with the smaller mppt. The Easysolar is 3000VA with a power factor of 0.8, wich is 2400W, 94% efficiency. Plus i don't have anything that draws more than 2000W, more like 800W-1600W 99% of the time. But even so, i understand is a good ideea to de-rate the BMS, that's why i was thinking about connecting the Easysolar separatelly since it can shut itself off reliably, it's only on in my presence and i can monitor it.
I looked into Daly BMS also, biggest one is 500A, but it takes ages to ship and delays my project by alot. I will end up getting this one if my ideea is stupid.

Plus i don't have anything that draws more than 2000W, more like 800W-1600W 99% of the time.
I know this makes sense intuitively but it is considered a good practice to design your system elements to the rated output of such devices. Your EasySolar will undoubtedly last you decades, just because you are only drawing 800 - 1,600W now, doesn't mean that you will continue to do so in the years to come. It's your system, your choices; I'm just sharing my experience with you.

You're right, i don't have any experience. The cells are grade A and they are well matched, but i guess you can't be 100% sure about that when they come from China.

So just to be clear, "(2) verifiable quality well-matched grade A cells" refers to something quite different than the grey market 280Ah cells, I believe you have. All indications are that they are decent quality cells, but we can't know the cell grade (every reseller I've communicated with claims new, matched, A grade), and can't know the reason they are being sold at such a steep discount relative to verified grade A cells sold through official channels. And they will probably not be matched and binned to the same standard either (though again, can't say for sure).

This is not to say that its not possible that they are grade A or A- (more likely) or that they won't perform to expectation (they probably will). But I think its important to be realistic about expectations and unknownables, and be realistic about price (at least two resellers who sell A and B grade cells have said they could not sell a true A grade cell at this price point). If you are realistic and cautious about expectations, its much more likely your expectations will be met or exceeded :)

This was a long winded way of warning that an unofficial/grey market reseller claiming cells are A grade and well matched, is very different from cells actually being A grade and well matched (hence the huge cost savings we get).

By conservative limits you mean depth of discharge? I intend on having a 80% DoD (10%-90%), or even less, like 70%.

Yes conservative voltage limits / depth of discharge. Basically stay safely in the flat part of the curve. I would probably go more conservative than 10-90 without a BMS 20-80, maybe even more conservative to start, but then I wouldn't go without a BMS, and have no experience on that front, so I might not be the best to listen to on this. The point being, the margin you leave needs to be a large enough safety cushion that any imbalance between cells is covered by that cushion and no cell strays into dangerous/harmful territory. In reality the best way to go about this would be through testing your specific pack and seeing how the individual cells charge/discharge and how well matched they are, and basing your limits on the observed characteristics. This is outside my experience, outside my comfort zone, and beyond my limited scope of knowledge, so I'll leave it at that.

My idea was to use the Victron BMV to monitor the voltage and trigger a relay or a battery protect wich will disconect all loads when it reaches 10% or 20% SoC. Sorry i wasn't clear about that.

That's a good idea. I'm not sure it fills the same role as a BMS, but it seems like a sensible way to limit bandwidth / depth of discharge. Particularly since your system has a lot of Victron components.

That's true, the EasySolar 24/3000 it's more than i need in some areas. The MPPT is twice more powerfull than i need, and i also don't need the power assist feature. The inverter runs at 2400W continuous, and i only need 2000W at most. But i'll be traveling in Africa in high temperatures, and the inverter output power will drop to 2200W at 40C.

Internet conectivity for VRM is nice to have, and the fact that i can monitor and control the sistem at a distance was also behind my initial idea on not adding a BMS.

Does the easysolar have a GX device built in?

Plus 5 years warranty is good peace of mind. I don't like the 1-2 years warranty on most other brands. It's expensive but it will last longer, hopefully :))

I think all Victron components besides batteries carry a 5 year warranty now.

Buying the individual, appropriately sized components from Victron, would've cost me even more than the Easysolar.

Out of curiosity what does an easysolar 24/3000 cost? I'm from the US, we don't get the easysolar here..

Considering all your advice, i will be adding a BMS

I think this is the prudent and sensible path to take.

and i'm leaning towards Overkill Solar, but is the 100A limit enough?

One of the better quality commodity BMS' I think. The other commodity BMS worth considering is the Daly BMS. I would also take a look at the SBMS0, its more of a niche product but its top quality and works very well with most Victron components. Best of all its not current limited at all (since current doesn't flow through it). There is a steeper learning curve though and more to consider.

I don't think i'll actually draw more that 100A even with all my DC loads on and the inverter running a 2000W load at the same time, but is pushing the BMS limit. Would that be ok?

Another option i was thinking about is to wire the Easysolar independent of the BMS since it will never run without me in the van. It will only be on when i'm cooking, and i can monitor it myself, plus it can turn itself off at a 20% SoC. That leaves the BMS with an easy job of taking care of the DC loads and balance the cells.

Not a good idea in my opinion. What you may be able to do however is have the BMS trigger the remote on/off port on the Victron inverter/charger/scc. However I'm not sure how workable that would be with an all-in-one.

is it ok running the BMS close to it's limits, but not for long, realistically it will only run close to the max for 1 hour a day?

Thank you again for your answers and advice, very helpful.

Probably not advisable, especially not in high heat. I don't have personal experience here, most people like to leave oversize by anywhere from 20-100%. I believe @OverkillSolar may have stated that he has tested the BMS at its continuous rating with no ill effect (or maybe I'm misremembering), in either case, running at or near 100% often will at the very least create heat and shorten the lifespan of the BMS.

Because you will have very good first layer protection (via all your victron components) I would consider just getting a ~200-250A Daly BMS that will just sit in the background doing not much of anything beyond monitoring and balancing until there is a problem.

One last point,

The inverter runs at 2400W continuous, and i only need 2000W at most. But i'll be traveling in Africa in high temperatures, and the inverter output power will drop to 2200W at 40C.

Keep in mind that other components will probably need to be de-rated equally in heat. Victron is just one of the only companies that actually acknowledges this in their datasheets, but I suspect any component that needs to dissipate heat will be affected in the same way, maybe moreso. So heat would probably effect your BMS' rating as well

... just because you are only drawing 800 - 1,600W now, doesn't mean that you will continue to do so in the years to come. It's your system, your choices; I'm just sharing my experience with you.
That's true, I might need to power a bigger load in the future and it's nice to be able to do so. I really apreciate your input and i am taking it into account.
Does the easysolar have a GX device built in?
Yes, it has a GX color contol
I think all Victron components besides batteries carry a 5 year warranty now.
They do
Out of curiosity what does an easysolar 24/3000 cost? I'm from the US, we don't get the easysolar here..
It is €1900, but that's the cheapest price i found from a Victron distributor. It's usually priced at €2400 - €3000. What do you guys think, is €1900 too much for what it offers? That's about $2,250

I looked into SBMS0 and i think it's really nice, takes more time to set up properly but it gives you alot of freedom. Unfortunately it's out of stok at the moment...
I think i'll be going with a Daly BMS 300A like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891427621.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.15763955PM3XKV

It is €1900, but that's the cheapest price i found from a Victron distributor. It's usually priced at €2400 - €3000. What do you guys think, is €1900 too much for what it offers? That's about $2,250

I'm not familiar with normal EU market prices, but, if they are all components you would want and use, €1900 / $2250, seems like a decent deal. But if you don't need all those capabilities (specifically the color control GX, and that size charge controller) maybe separate components would make more sense and offer considerable cost savings (Victron Multiplus 3kw is roughly half the price). Of course there is definitely a premium to be paid for the convenience of an all-in-one solution and only you can know how much that is worth to you.

Right on, that should do the trick, so long as you are aware of the difference between common port and separate port, and aware that one is common port. Daly makes a solid product I think.

Last edited:
What do you guys think, is €1900 too much for what it offers? That's about $2,250
That's the wrong question. You should be asking yourself is the value the EasySolar worth €1,900 to me? And I've already posted my thoughts (considerations) on that.

When I am designing a system, for myself or others, I always create three options: (1) Budget, (2) Comfortable and (3) Ideal. (1) The budget option will not meet requirements but if compromises can be made it will usually be the cheapest option. (2) A well designed, fit for purpose system. (3) Something to grow into.

I suspect you have only allowed yourself an option (3).

Edit: corrected currency error.

Reactions: Dzl
I was surprised to find out this is cheaper than buying the components separetely. A similar size inverter + a smaller mppt from Victron would cost me almost the same. An inverter/charger + mppt like the Easysolar has costs €2500+, that's without the GX color controller and all the other functions Easysolar has (wich i don't necessarely need in the van, but are nice to have since i'm getting them for free basicaly). The 70A charger it has will come in handy when i'll have to work/travel during winter. I also plan on building a tiny house in the near future and it might end up in that one where i can take full advantage of what it has to offer.

Back