diy solar

diy solar

Do I need fuse boxes and bus bars for a simple solar setup?

Joe Blow

For a basic solar setup for my shed: 600W panels, 40A MPPT charge controller and 1500W inverter, do I need fuse boxes and bus bars?

What are the absolute essentials I need to create a safe but very basic solar power system for my shed.

I am a little intimidated by the wiring but am ready to put my first system together. I only want to put into the system what it absolutely necessary to make it work, and safe.

Thanks for your help.

Need more info on your system is it 12 volt or 24 or 48

a basic system is a battery fuse as close to battery as possible, cable to bus bar to make connections from mppt and inverter, fuse the mppt wire also, put a negative cable to a bus bar and done, battery disconnect switches are nice but not required

depending on your voltage make sure you have appropriate fuses

For a basic solar setup for my shed: 600W panels, 40A MPPT charge controller and 1500W inverter, do I need fuse boxes and bus bars?

What are the absolute essentials I need to create a safe but very basic solar power system for my shed.

I am a little intimidated by the wiring but am ready to put my first system together. I only want to put into the system what it absolutely necessary to make it work, and safe.

Thanks for your help.
What batteries are you using pls?

If lead acid/gel/agm you definitely do not need a fuse box or bus bars. You will need fuses but thats easy done

The simplest way is just to wire everything to the battery terminals, think of the battery like the hub of a wheel

Simple 12v system/1500w inverter:

Solar panels > mppt > 50amp fuse > battery > 150amp fuse > inverter

And then on the AC output side (240v if UK ?) , to do it properly & safe you need 2 things , a fuse and an RCD ... Plugs have a fuse already and then this is the simplest way to fit an RCD

If you need help choosing fuses and getting the right side cable let us know

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Just some additional information, it's a 12V system with a single 100ah lithium battery to which I will most likely add another.

As I mentioned above, I have 2 300W panels, a Renogy 40A MPPT charge controller and a1500W pure sine wave inverter.

I understand I need a fuse between the battery and inverter but what else do i need to make it work and make it safe?

I have seen many systems like this on YouTube built without fuse blocks and bus bars but want to ensure that the system is safe.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Just some additional information, it's a 12V system with a single 100ah lithium battery to which I will most likely add another.

As I mentioned above, I have 2 300W panels, a Renogy 40A MPPT charge controller and a1500W pure sine wave inverter.

I understand I need a fuse between the battery and inverter but what else do i need to make it work and make it safe?

I have seen many systems like this on YouTube built without fuse blocks and bus bars but want to ensure that the system is safe.
With only two panels (in parallel) you are not required to fuse this portion of your system. PV input will require fusing/dc rated breaker once you have 3 or more paralleled panels/strings. A dc rated breaker is nice for system maintenance or shutdown. For a simple system you don't need a bus bar. you can go straight to the battery from the SCC. If using an inverter you can also come straight from the battery. placing the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Blue Seas make great fuses for this purpose.
Blue Seas fuse.pngBlue Seas double fuse..jpg

Things you see on U-tube are not necessarily good practices. There is also the matter of whether adding a component like a switch or breaker makes things easier to work with. I do not see that in a simple system that bus bars are needed so long as there are not multiple connections being made. However I like to have the ability to isolate things to work on. So I put breakers between PV and SCC, SCC and battery, and fuses between battery and inverter. Typically you do not need to fuse PV until you exceed 2 strings.

I literally just received my order for the DC revamp of my "12V Lithium" system.

With it being originally (2018?) 50W with a 26Ah AGM, I just used the EPEver charge controller to manage panels, battery and load. Each was fused by it at 10A. The battery was connected via one of those cheap autmotive inline fuses at 15A.

I upgraded the battery to a SLA 100Ah Marine battery in 2019. Having killed the AGM from flattening it over winter and learning my first lesson in micro-dc energy systems. MPPT controllers and their RS485 monitoring dongle continue to consume power when the low voltage disconnect has cut the load off. The MPPT controller continued to run the battery down to 9.0V... twice. It was never the same. Unfortunately I did exactly the same to the 100Ah SLA a few times over winter. It too has never been the same.

I ran the 12v DC only loads via an RV power panel, each with fuses, for garage lights, battery charger and talked my spark into installing a 6mm outdoor cable all the way to the office where it runs a bunch of small stuff periodically. Most notable quiet audio stuff.

This year. I changed to lithium. 105Ah 4S bare prismatic cells. Upgraded the MPPT to a EPEver 40A and the panel to a CraigSolar 330W 41VoC.

The 15A fuse had to go, obviously. Initially though it is relying entirely on the MPPT controller for fusing and had no BMS. This required careful set up of the MPPT and constant monitoring and frequent interventions. 25A charge current and a max load of about 10A, all is fine. Even on 10AWG 40A wire. Battery is a liability though in this state.

I added a JK-BMS to take care of the battery so I don't have to! That at least gives me some manual overcurrent protection for that 10AWG cable.

I have an 24V inverter sitting waiting to go, just awaking a second set of 4 cells to go up to 8S, 24V and it was this which I took as the final straw in the "Janky DC spiders nest set up."

I ordered:
16A Dual pole breaker for my single panel. Idea is to have each fused when I get the other 2.
40A Dual pole breaker for the master panel input to MPPT.
40A Dual pole breaker connecting the MPPT to the battery bus bar.
100A covered M8 5 stud bus bars.
100A dual pole breaker for the battery to bus bar connection.
100A dual pole breaker for the inverter to bus bar connection
6AWG wire (<1 meter runs 100A).
Ferrules, lugs, already have hydraulic crimpers and ferrule kits.

Yet to purchase is a 150A DC T-delay fuses + and - of the battery, as a final physical protection.

Also the AC side of things, past the inverter and the grid AC-In I am going to diagram up, email to my spark, have a bit of back and forward and then I'll let him order what I need on his trade account.

Just thought I'd give you some ideas.

Note. For the inverter, if you want to run more than a single appliance or really ANY class 1 appliances (metal case, non-dual insulated), you will need a ground rod. You can use the incoming grid earth, however, you cannot RELY on it. Too long to go into, but there are circumstances, during a power cut or grid fault where all three conductors, E, L, N become live at over 70VAC relative to earth. If the grid drops out the inverter will usually (for a hybrid) switch to island mode and disconnect the incoming ELN and bond the Neutral and Earth on the island. So you will still have a fault current path, your RCD will work, so will fuses, however, you can make no stipulations about where those 240VAC are in relation to the earth.... which you are standing on and most of the metal work in your house is referenced to.... usuaully. TT, TN-S, and all that stuff comes into play, as do some local regulations. It's best to consult a spark.

Back