diy solar

diy solar

Do LFP produce heat with discharge?

That will do fine. Make sure you have proper pre-charge for inverter capacitors, since the inrush current can blow the fuse.

you can also blow a BMS as I found out the hard way. roasted two of them due to inrush current/spark on a 48 volt system. expensive mistake.
What kind of a BMS was it that you smoked? There has been a lot of chatter recently concerning BMS capability as far as surviving direct short circuits and powering into a large cap bank. My feeling is that a BMS should be able to handle any type of short or power up into any size cap bank. It isn't difficult to design this into BMS. I am curious as to how you solved problem.

Yes, that can do, but it's not necessary to use a thermistor. You can just use a power resistor (say, 20 Ohm/50W) instead, something like this.
Yes, a resistor works fine if you bypass it when caps charged up. I've used these before without a contactor. Not very efficient though.

Are you familiar with Stromberg or Vaasa Controls? They make industrial gear up your way. I worked with them on a few projects many years ago.

Yes, a resistor works fine if you bypass it when caps charged up. I've used these before without a contactor. Not very efficient though.

But precharge is only a couple of seconds, so not a big deal. I have one that is just a push button with a resistor wired across the main inverter cut-off switch.

Are you familiar with Stromberg or Vaasa Controls? They make industrial gear up your way. I worked with them on a few projects many years ago.

Yes, very familiar. Same as some others in the area such as Vacon (now Danfoss), The Switch, Arcteq, ABB, etc.

But precharge is only a couple of seconds, so not a big deal. I have one that is just a push button with a resistor wired across the main inverter cut-off switch.

Yes, very familiar. Same as some others in the area such as Vacon (now Danfoss), The Switch, Arcteq, ABB, etc.
Yes. precharge is only a short time. I have heard stories of fuse clearing and blown up BMS from inrush. I am curious as to how BMS are designed to account for inrush. I have said before that a BMS should be able to protect itself from starting into a dead short or a dead short applied while it is up and running.
I may put a few of these inrush limiters in parallel when i switch over to LIFePO4 on the large inverter.

I worked for ASEA in the 1980s. When Brown Boveri and ASEA merged Stromberg was aquired. The engineers we worked with from Finland were unhappy because Stromberg was closing a facility in Vaasa. That is when a few of them spun off Vaasa Controls (Vacon). It was an interesting time.

Yes. precharge is only a short time. I have heard stories of fuse clearing and blown up BMS from inrush. I am curious as to how BMS are designed to account for inrush.

I've tested that on mine. Several times on purpose even ;)
The JK BMS (100A version) handles it fine in combination with a Class T fuse. The Fuse blows and the BMS is undamaged. This is when coupled to a 6kW inverter on a 48V system. The fuse was 225A rated.

I don't think a BMS in and of itself can handle it. It's well out of spec for any of those FETs.

I've tested that on mine. Several times on purpose even ;)
The JK BMS (100A version) handles it fine in combination with a Class T fuse. The Fuse blows and the BMS is undamaged. This is when coupled to a 6kW inverter on a 48V system. The fuse was 225A rated.

I don't think a BMS in and of itself can handle it. It's well out of spec for any of those FETs.
I am using the Overkill solar 100A BMS on 48v system with a 6kW Growatt inverter. I think that the Overkill BMS is very much like JK BMS. I did a spice model and thought the 200A Class T fuse had a good chance of surviving power up with some wiring impedance. (Signature Solar told me 6800uF x 4 capacitors.) I am considering the inrush limiter without a bypass contactor to get it connected to LiFePO4 cells. Maybe do a small PC board to run a contactor with short delay. I am also considering omitting bus bars and going with #8 wire between caps. A couple of milliohms of impedance is enough to manage the current and keep fuse from blowing. Do you know what your bus cap arrangement is? I can run quick spice model and see what current looks like.

Yes, BMS may nit handle it but, I recently did a 600A/1000V breaker for a client. Breaker had to charge a large bank of capacitors softly. I measured heatsink temp by fet along with the voltage across fet. I was able to control drain current so that the product of Vds and drain current gave me a power such that the junction temperature rise over the jheatsink kept Tj<125c. The key is controlling the drain current using Vgs and the part transconductance. The breaker had nearly 100 SiC fets, but only one fet to charge the bus. I recall we had to be able to turn off 10,000A during a fault.

I am curious as to how BMS are designed to account for inrush.

This is an example of the BMS breaking because of the inrush current:

This is an example of the BMS breaking because of the inrush current:

No doubt that there are BMS which cannot deal with inrush.

What kind of a BMS was it that you smoked? There has been a lot of chatter recently concerning BMS capability as far as surviving direct short circuits and powering into a large cap bank. My feeling is that a BMS should be able to handle any type of short or power up into any size cap bank. It isn't difficult to design this into BMS. I am curious as to how you solved problem.
They were Daly 16s 200 amp. toasted two of them in a row before my calcified brain realized the problem and took corrective measures.

Since then no problems.

They were Daly 16s 200 amp. toasted two of them in a row before my calcified brain realized the problem and took corrective measures.

Since then no problems.
Can you tell us what you did to fix problem? I am looking at doing some kind of inrush limiter and I would like to know options. I prefer not to design and lay out a board and so forth. Would rather buy off the shelf if something decent available.

Can you tell us what you did to fix problem? I am looking at doing some kind of inrush limiter and I would like to know options. I prefer not to design and lay out a board and so forth. Would rather buy off the shelf if something decent available.
OK
so simply put I used a 15 watt resistor to manually set the BMS. it was the initial inrush that fried the unit. Basically I started with one BMS, and then went to convert the system to 3 (three) bms's. i used one to fire up the system initially, and then tried to substitute the second unit when I noticed that I could not shut off the discharge side of the the BMS. not sure why as even now that same BMS will not shut off discharge. instead I tried to swap out two of them and roasted both of them when I swapped them out. I then started using a resistor to fire them up and that issue was solved. I installed two more when I changed the pack from 3p16S to 16s3P. and had no issues at that time, other than getting the packs to play nice with each other.

OK
so simply put I used a 15 watt resistor to manually set the BMS. it was the initial inrush that fried the unit. Basically I started with one BMS, and then went to convert the system to 3 (three) bms's. i used one to fire up the system initially, and then tried to substitute the second unit when I noticed that I could not shut off the discharge side of the the BMS. not sure why as even now that same BMS will not shut off discharge. instead I tried to swap out two of them and roasted both of them when I swapped them out. I then started using a resistor to fire them up and that issue was solved. I installed two more when I changed the pack from 3p16S to 16s3P. and had no issues at that time, other than getting the packs to play nice with each other
Yes. I think when you short one fet you lose control of the other function. There is a short blurb here that explains it in detail. Basically two back to back fets so you can control current in either direction.

There is a short blurb here that explains it in detail.

Link:

Back