diy solar

diy solar

Heat pad wattage for winter charging

Visionquest

I'm close to completing design research for my 12v DIY battery. In this thread I will summarize my analysis of the heater wattage needed based on my worst-case use case of off-grid winter RV storage. I need that batteries to stay active enough to run a remote monitor system.
My Requirement - down to a 0 degree F ambient temperature, the solar system will heat the batteries (to at least 32 degrees) in order for the BMS to successfully start charging. I will actually design for a 40 degree heating cutoff.

Parameters/Design assumptions -
1. I will use 2" insulation board on all sides of the battery. That provides an R10 level of insulation. Using rough dimensions for my box yields around 5 sq-ft of surface area. Using the calculator here (https://calculator.academy/heat-loss-r-value-calculator/), means I'll need heating of 20 btu's to maintain a 40 degree differential. That is 21,100 joules, which can be converted to roughly 6 watts. Sounds good, right? But wait,......
2. The above calculation is just to maintain a temperature difference. The other issue is how to bring the inside of the box (i.e. the cells) up from 0 degrees to 32 degrees. (that is the worst case scenario) The EVE 304 datasheet states the Heat Capacity of a single cell to be 0.9-1.2 Kj / Kg-K (kilojoules per kilogram-degree kelvin). Using those figures I calculated that raising a single cell by 10degrees F requires 123 kilojoules. Since 1 joule = 1 watt-second, I divide that number by 3600 seconds per hour to get 34 hours of heating with 1 watt. Of course I'm going to want to heat up the cells in order for the solar day to have time to actually charge the batteries, and there are 4 cells. So the time would become 435 hours at 1w, 43.5 hours at 10w, 4.35 hours at 100w, or 2.2 hours at 200w. (to raise all cells 32 degrees)
3. I don't really want to use that much heating and there is another factor to consider. The very thing that causes the problem (heat capacity of the cells) also gives the solution. Once heated, the cells contain roughly 500 Kjoules of energy for every 10 degree F of temperature. But the box they are in only requires around 21 Kjoules per hour to maintain a 40 degree rise from ambient. Using a simple first approximation says it will take almost 24 hours for the battery to self-cool from 40 to 30 degrees.
4. Using all of these numbers, a daily solar heating requirement can be determined. Assume 6 hours average of solar charging available. 18 hours without heat can lose 380 Kjoules of energy. In order to replenish that in 6 hours of solar charging will require 64,000 joules of heating which can be done with 18watts of heat pad.
5. Since there could be several days of heavy clouds I plan to go with somewhere between 60 and 100 watts of heat pad power which I'm thinking is enough on average to keep things warm enough.
6. I've decided NOT to use a BMS with integrated heat control. Instead, I will use a combination of charging voltage and temperature to enable heating. My Thornwave battery monitor has a voltage controlled relay driver already. I will set this to activate whenever there is more than 13.6v present. That will feed to the relay on this temperature controller (https://www.amazon.com/LM-YN-Thermostat-Fahrenheit-Temperature/dp/B076Y5BXD9) to then power the heat pads. I will easily be able to modify the trigger voltage and temperature set points.
7. I will apply heat pads to aluminum sheet in three places - placed on the bottom and both long sides of the cell stack.

Comments and critique of this analysis is encouraged. I think my reasoning and calculations are sound but I may have missed something entirely.

Thanks!
Bob

6 hours looks about double what you should expect in the winter. I did not carefully double check your numbers but it looks like you have it figured out.

View attachment 199331
Thanks. That is a pretty handy calculator, but I'm not certain I understand how to use the number. The text says to multiply by wattage of the solar panel but how does that make sense. The chart gives kwh/m2/day. If I assume 15% solar efficiency of the panel, and the panel is 58"x 26" that is 2.13 m2 and would yield 2.6kwh/m2/day * .15 * 2.13 = .83 kwh. 830 watt-hours at 12v is about 70 amp-hours. (that is also assuming 100% efficiency of the solar controller so maybe 20% less than that)

If instead I multiply by the panel wattage it would give 2.6 * 190 to yield 500 but what are the units?

Any further insight on how to determine daily solar charging in December which is the lowest month?

Oh my! that's all very theoretical...
I plan to go with somewhere between 60 and 100 watts of heat pad power which I'm thinking is enough on average to keep things warm enough.
...that sounds too much to me.

If it helps, my 14.3kWh DIY battery system has 2" PIR on sides and top and just 21W of heaters which, with ambient temps down to -8C, kept my LiFePO4's a toasty +18C to +25C over the last 2 winters, whilst only being on 30-50% of time.

With the large heat capacity of LiFePO4's low and slow works well for me.

Remember too, if pumping out some decent watts at night and running loads these batteries do generate a pretty good bit of heat by themselves… that will greatly add to keeping the battery compartment warmer if well insulated ….

Added to the batts , the inverter will add a good bit of heat too… and when the sun comes up you have the SCC pumping it’s own warmth…that’s 3 free sources…
There is no “ one size fits all “ here. Every set up is different..

All of these things lessen the heat needed from other sources…

Oh my! that's all very theoretical...

...that sounds too much to me.

If it helps, my 14.3kWh DIY battery system has 2" PIR on sides and top and just 21W of heaters which, with ambient temps down to -8C, kept my LiFePO4's a toasty +18C to +25C over the last 2 winters, whilst only being on 30-50% of time.

With the large heat capacity of LiFePO4's low and slow works well for me.
I'm considering doing something similar. Do you have picture of your setup or links to the type of heaters that you used and where you placed them? I assume you used heaters that are 21w each, not combined, correct?

... links to the type of heaters that you used and where you placed them? I assume you used heaters that are 21w each, not combined, correct?
LOL... nothing very technical. My "heaters" are just three 7W LED 240V bulbs - so total of 21W combined. There is about 4" of space around the cells where the "heaters" are located; then 2" of PIR of insulation on all sides and top and then the case.

I use 12 volt 25 watt silicone heat pad and small computer fan, one for each battery box but I heat the compartment not the cells directly. They have been fine down to 7f in our last cold snap only insulation is a 5” foam mattress bed that covers the top and plywood box in the back of my truck. The fans run below 55f and the heat is set at 50f.

24EE0CDC-67B6-4152-B3EB-03C85D267BEC.jpeg

Back