diy solar

diy solar

Do most places have written requirements for solar installs?

solar_trees

I've been exchanging emails with my county permit office trying to get a list of requirements for solar installs. So far, they've only provided me with the requirements for panel offsets for the top and edge of the roofs. Is it common for an AHJ to have written requirements (e.g. must have ul listed components)? Or is it usually just up to the inspector and what they feel comfortable approving? I'm interested in doing a small shed-top install so I'm hoping to avoid some of the more strict regulations, but it's hard for me to design the system without knowing what's allowed and what isn't.

I've been exchanging emails with my county permit office trying to get a list of requirements for solar installs. So far, they've only provided me with the requirements for panel offsets for the top and edge of the roofs. Is it common for an AHJ to have written requirements (e.g. must have ul listed components)? Or is it usually just up to the inspector and what they feel comfortable approving? I'm interested in doing a small shed-top install so I'm hoping to avoid some of the more strict regulations, but it's hard for me to design the system without knowing what's allowed and what isn't.
That’s going to vary widely between AHJ.

Some will have specific equipment and some will just go by NEC2017 or NEC2020.
Some might just wing it.

Areas above living spaces have special rules for solar so that the fire department can break through as needed. Rules above an attached garage may be relaxed but access my still be needed to the area over the living spaces. Detached garage, workshops and barns may have no restrictions but check your local codes. Some jurisdictions are more archaic than others and are still evolving.(they have no clue)

Back