diy solar

diy solar

Do you torque?

IHaveThePower

Wondering how many of you actually torque your connections?

I haven't invested in an inch/lbs torque wrench yet. I only have auto torque wrenches. Ft/lbs

I'm building a work trailer setup so I won't need an inspection. Should I be taking torque seriously or is hand tight good enough.

Do you have a one tool/kit fits all suggestion.
Tia

I have had horrible luck with torque wrenches overtorquing and stripping bolts or holes. 32 bolts on the batteries in my build and I torqued 20 of them to a click and the rest I stopped before the click thinking I went too far.

I frequently check these nuts to see if they worked there self loose. If I torqued them all, I’d check less frequently:

I prefer to torque but did not want to get a new quality $500 digital torque wrench.

I don't own one either. Hard to justify when used ten minutes every twenty years. I have been known to use a small scale, wrench and some math.

fyi,

Problem is there is a lot of different configurations for terminals and the designs are always changing.

I have had horrible luck with torque wrenches overtorquing and stripping bolts or holes. 32 bolts on the batteries in my build and I torqued 20 of them to a click and the rest I stopped before the click thinking I went too far.

I frequently check these nuts to see if they worked there self loose. If I torqued them all, I’d check less frequently:

I prefer to torque but did not want to get a new quality $500 digital torque wrench.
Why not get one of these?

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...12-in-drive-digital-torque-adapter-63917.html

I haven't torqued them and have not had any issues but I recommend it. Also a good idea to put some marking paint on the bolt/nut to show it was done.

Thank you for the feedback.
I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one at this point.
The digital add on unit eggo posted looks interesting but I don't like the negative reviews. Says many units fail and it doesn't measure as low as advertised.

Thank you for the feedback.
I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one at this point.
The digital add on unit eggo posted looks interesting but I don't like the negative reviews. Says many units fail and it doesn't measure as low as advertised.
this should get the job done, just bought it, mine is inbound. digital TW

After many dumb years of torque it till it breaks then back off 1/4 turn attitude I learned to properly torque anything that's delicate, important, dangerous, etc.
Spend the 20-200 bucks and pick up a torque wrench/stick if you don't have one already.
I like that last sentence in your comment…I have used a Fat Max (in/lbs) for many years on gun repair and service , but for all the torquing on this solar system I just ordered a new spiffy one on Amazon .. it even has lights and whistles and maybe a built in coffee pot ?.It was about 125.00
and I’m hoping it works right … time will tell.
Jim.1658981116038.jpeg

1658981116038.jpeg

Torque range: 29.5 to 147.6 ft. lbs

The beam-type torque wrench is very very safe and accurate. Other than for ujoint bolts and yoke bolts, the click-type 1/4” torque wrenches are risky imho. The beam requires the use of your mind is all. Torque with a dry, clean fastener is very repeatable with a beam wrench. I/4” click wrenches other than Armstrong, SK, or snapon are inconsistent.
I have both a click and a beam 1/4” torque wrenches. I wouldn’t use anything click if not Armstrong, Mac, or snapon for tiny bolts imho

Torque range: 29.5 to 147.6 ft. lbs

The beam-type torque wrench is very very safe and accurate. Other than for ujoint bolts and yoke bolts, the click-type 1/4” torque wrenches are risky imho. The beam requires the use of your mind is all. Torque with a dry, clean fastener is very repeatable with a beam wrench. I/4” click wrenches other than Armstrong, SK, or snapon are inconsistent.
I have both a click and a beam 1/4” torque wrenches. I wouldn’t use anything click if not Armstrong, Mac, or snapon for tiny bolts imho
For small stuff like this I'll use the torque wrench I use for gunsmiths.

Back